oliver combines - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: oliver combines

Please show her off.

I second that!

Makar, that would be one of the original SP Grain Masters, the trade name for the Oliver combines. They were [and still are] good machines.
combiness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

there is a old Oliver combine sitting in a vacant yard by our place, I think its much older then the one in picture. it has a rounder body some thing similar to a 80 Massey
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Could it be that Ford/Dearborn bought the Woods company in the early days of the 8N after they split with Ferguson and built their own machinery line independent of Ferguson later FMH ? Seems to me I saw one listed in an old I&T Redbook as a Woods. Will have to look sometime and see if I have a copy of it.
Snipe, you might be talking about the true Oliver design either a 33, 35, or40 that was posted by someone else on this site- I think probably Super27

redpainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hey redpainter, you're on the right track!!!Ford bought the Woods Brothers in the early fifties.

Combiness, I think the Ford 611s were made between the years 1959 -1965. This was prior to the Claas/Ford connection on combines.
Grainmaster, haven't heard that in sometime. Them old Oliver 33s were pretty fair machines!

Dodgeman, good luck with your search for the 525. They might be harder to find,seems the 535 and 545 were more plentiful at one time.
anton99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Friday morning at dawn while over in eastern Kansas I ran across this 25 Oliver SP combine sitting on a farm real close to the road.They were built from 1959-61 and had a flat head Continental 6 engine.I'm just wondering if the 25 Oliver and 611 Ford SP combines werent a joint venture?

The 611 Ford was built from 1959-63 and had a OHV 223 Ford engine.Other than that and the air intake screen they were identically the same combine as the 25 Oliver.Below is a picture of a 611 Ford combine that a friend found in EC Kansas a couple of years ago.

Heres a link below to a picture of my 611 Ford combine.

http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....play&thread=278

As for the older Oliver combines just go down 20-25 topics on this page and you will see pictures of my 1961 model 40 Oliver combine.The 35 that Red Painter has pictured is a nice 35 that I found in NW KS a few years back.

As for the Woods Brothers combines I think Ford bought them out in the late 1940's or early 50's.A neighbor used to have a Woods Brothers combine in the 1950's.I know where a shedded Ford Dearborn combine is at.
super27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

redpainter
that looks like it, when it warms up i will hike over and take some pics
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

[quote author=redpainter board=Other thread=9951 post=90418 time=1232828406]Could it be that Ford/Dearborn bought the Woods company in the early days of the 8N after
Snipe, you might be talking about the true Oliver design either a 33, 35, or40 that was posted by someone else on this site- I think quote]

I have some video tape of a combine demo in which one of these Olivers ran against a 510 Massey and a 1060 Case some years ago. The Oliver survived , battered but still running.
rusty6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Anton, the Model 611 does predate the Claas combines for sure, but Ford was still selling them right until 1970 or 1971. I wish I still had the old Progressive Farmer magazine with the ad for one. I clearly remember an ad for Gleaner G and John Deere 6600 in that very issue, too. I kept that one, for the main reason there was a feature about building your own "spore trap," a device for sampling the air for spores of crop disease fungi, a science I am still likewise interested in to this day.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've got two old Oliver 35's sitting in my pasture. Is it true they used the same Continental engine as a Massey Harris 44?

aaronlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Aaronlee, you should work toward restoring the better of the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.