Ferguson Side Mount Balers - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ferguson Side Mount Balers

A gentleman from Minnesota (Bob R.) called me this week and asked about a side mount baler that the historical society here has. He's trying to put together a list of all the balers left, their serial numbers, and where they're located.

As far as he and I know, there are roughly 10 of these units left in the USA. He had a list of names and phone number of those people, but he has not been able to get ahold of all of them.

I was wondering if any of you folks know of someone who has one of these things. There may be more out there that we don't know about.

Bob indicated that once all this information was gathered, there was a lady in FENA who might write an article about the balers and their locations. he could not remember the name of the lady.

In a related note - I am in need of some of the hitch parts for these balers and similar implements. I need the part that goes between the lift arms and goes up to the top link connection point on the tractor.

If you aren't familiar with the balers, here's a link to a picture of an advertisement about them:

http://fileserver7.jpghosting.com/images....897a9ae95f9.jpg

If you know of anyone with one of these balers, or are interested in them in general, or might have some hitch parts for them, please email me at:

rsitruss (at) Yahoo (dot) com

I also have more pictures if any of you are interested in seeing them.
bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ferguson Side Mount Balers

Here is one, lets see some more!
1952 Ferguson TO-30, SN TO-148537, owned by Joyce Richards of Isle, Minnesota, with a Ferguson Side-Mounted Baler
http://www.oldfergusontractors.com/G...ordan_2005.htm
johndeere4230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information so far, guys.

I've met Mr. Kimball and seen his baler in person. And I know that Bob has talked to him.

I will call Bob with the information about the other one in Minnesota.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I thought I'd post a few more pictures and some info.

This is the picture of the baler I work with. The baler was originally purchased by my Dad's Father. the TO-30 belonged to me Mother's Father. So the tractor and baler are a sort of an unusual "marriage".

Underneath the front of the bale chamber is a "U" shaped bracket. Does anyone know that it was for?

The red arrows in this shot show the part of the linkage that we're missing for our baler.

This picture shows the extra parts for the baler we have. I assume the thing on top is a clutch that bolts to the right rear wheel.

below that are a couple of drive shafts and a gear box of some sort - Probably to drive the wheel on the right side of the baler. I have never tried to mount those things.

The other things below that, I have no idea.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

didn't know they ever made such a baler like that. keep up the good job all.
caseihmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

So bosshog what was Ferguson's idea behind the Side Mount stuff?
Was it to be more like a SP? Like the Uni-harvester?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck

That baler looks like a Massey Ferguson #10 (early model).

You can get the pickup teeth, and the bands from Agco's MF Heritage line. I'll look up numbers in AgcoPartsBook. I'm guessing I can dig up more parts, but I'd need a serial # from you.

From the bottom up, the first thing is a three-point-hitch center adjusting link. I don't know what that second shaft is, but the third and fifth are PTO shafts from the looks of it (need a picture from the end of one).

The bracket underneath is for a "tray" shield that keeps the plunger arm from hitting rocks, soil, etc. They had that very early on, and then put it back on late-model 120 series balers.

I cut my teeth by baling hay on a 1961 #10, 1964 #12, and a 1978 #124 (baling since I was 12, rebuilt the blasted things dozens of times. We did 25,000 bales/year with each, in succession).

-Christian
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it was so the operator had better visibility, since the implement was right up beside them?

Or maybe they thought it would turn tighter than a pulled implement?

Ot could it be that they were trying to make something that would ONLY fit their tractors?

I just don't know that much about the stuff...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

To christianH:

"You can get the pickup teeth, and the bands from Agco's MF Heritage line. I'll look up numbers in AgcoPartsBook. I'm guessing I can dig up more parts, but I'd need a serial # from you[/i]."

The serial number on this one is 2338

"From the bottom up, the first thing is a three-point-hitch center adjusting link. "

It may well be. but it looks different than any top link I've ever seen. I wonder if it's a shipping brace that takes the place of a hydraulic cylinder on the haylage machine. But that's only a guess.

"I don't know what that second shaft is, but the third and fifth are PTO shafts from the looks of it (need a picture from the end of one)."

They look a heck of a lot heavier than PTO shafts. I think they're more likely the shaft that drives the right wheel on the implement.

But again, I'm just speculating.

"The bracket underneath is for a tray shield that keeps the plunger arm from hitting rocks, soil, etc. "

that's good to know - no one else has had any idea what it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.