Pictures-Identify This Nice Old Pull Type Combine - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pictures-Identify This Nice Old Pull Type Combine

Pastor Rick whom has a great online photo album on Flickr gave me permission to post these pictures so that we can identify this dandy old combine.

He took these pictures in Emmons County,North Dakota which is full of old combines.Combines like this were never used around here and were before my time so I'm not much good on them.

This combine appears to be in good shape and needs to be saved.
super27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pictures-Identify This Nice Old Pull Type Comb

super27
It is probably a Gleaner R (which were avaliable as early as 1929 maybe before) The auger header was pioneered on Gleaner I think and the left side header mount is unusual for most pull type combines (except Gleaner) as almost all prairie and hillside pull type combines had the header out the right side as one faced forward on the tractor or combine if one had a guy punching header rather that a power lift.
Gleaner I would think was a southern plains combine. Noone ever heard of them in the Northwest till about the time just before AC bought them. A few had local machine shops put levellers on them and soon AC offered one in the late 50's here.
I know Holt (Cat) and Harris came to the triangle area around Great Falls in the early days as farming was similar to parts of the Pacific Northwest. Rumley (later bought by AC) was also an early popular combine. The Red River (oliver) was also a popular combine especially in the Dakotas and Minnesota I think as it originated in that area. MM (Twin City) would also be a early maker of combines for the northern plains too coming out of the Twin Cities. MF also had a foot hold in the plains before the sp days though they were a small player generally until the 1944 combine caravans.
I would think that combines came later to the spring grain areas like the Dakota's and Canada due to the spring crops and swathing for combines became a common practice.
redpainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Note the gravity unloader system. No seed coat damage with that system.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Redpainter,several on other forums agree with you that its a Baldwin or Gleaner R..Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks a lot like the model "F" that I took some pictures of a while back:

http://www.combineforums.proboards42.com....read=11523872 37
bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am harvesting corn not 5 miles from that machine! I drive by it everyday on my way out to the field. I have been going to stop and get some pics to post here. If anyone wants more detailed photos, let me know and I will post them.
hellandharvester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry I did not even see this post earlier, due to work and it just being hid amonst the many.
It is most definitely a Gleaner. The dead giveaway being the header auger. Gleaners NEVER had drapers, which were the conveyance systems of choice during that vintage. Any other make prior to WWII would have had the draper [called an "apron" also back then.
Nice find and it needs to be restored.
combiness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Blogger

hellandharvester, please if you can get some more detailed pics of this wonderful machine post them!!! is always nice to see all angles of vintage machinery, and close ups
aussiefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:I am harvesting corn not 5 miles from that machine! I drive by it everyday on my way out to the field. I have been going to stop and get some pics to post here. If anyone wants more detailed photos, let me know and I will post them.

Get us some more pictures.Thanks.You must live in Emmons County,S Dakota.

There must be tons of old combines sitting around that area as Pastor Rick puts them on his Flickr album all the time.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am done working there just yesterday. But I still have one machine to haul home from there. If its not too cold I'll drive out there for some more pics. When we finished corn and sunflowers there it was 11:30 pm the wind was blowing 45 mph and the temp was + 1 F degrees. I couldn't wait to get done and get the machines back to town so we could plug them in to get one loaded and home. I live 100 miles north in McHenery county ND.
hellandharvester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.