Greedy Landlords?? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Greedy Landlords??

Once again it is time to renew one of my cash rent agreements and I fear the worst. And the worst means more than double what I am currently paying, which will weigh in a fair amount over the $100/ac mark. Personally I don't think this is feasible for long term and think the landlords in my area are getting just plain greedy. Or am I wrong?

The land is fairly productive large flat fields with no sloughs, but that being said since I have rented this land I have had to spray twice per year for wild oats as good old Horizon doesn't even stunt them anymore. So it has been 7 years of costly cleanup that seems to make the landlord think that he has magic land that produces these large yields all by itself.

Im just frustrated that all the hard work, and time it took to turn this land around and make it some of the most productive land I farm seems to be going to kick me in my own azz.

Thoughts or comments please, where do the producers doing all the work draw the line?
dazedandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not really sure it's your landlords getting greedy, probably more like your neighbours are the ones running the price up.
Take today's prices, average crop for your area and make rent work. I don't rent land, but at 100 dollars an acre and today's prices, someone else can farm mine too.
SKfarming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gotta really sharpen the pencil and see if it's worth the effort to keep farming it at that rent. Neighbours in my area pay big rents just so the other guy doesn't get it. One bad year can put you in the hole pretty quick.
Once heard someone say " I don't have to go to work to not make money. I can stay home and do that." I'm of the belief you put your effort into what pays. If someone else wants to pay big rent just to farm it, let them.
j45578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know exactly where you're coming from. You're just going to have to come up with a number that works for you and talk it over with the landlord. Explain why you think your number is fair, reiterate how you've been taking care of the land, and be prepared to walk if he doesn't like it. If you absolutely can't come up with an agreement that benefits you, he can find someone else to lose money on the deal.

I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for, but sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Be polite and respectful, and if he doesn't agree with you just shake his hand, thank him for the opportunity, and walk out. Who knows, he might end up calling you back later.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's exactly what im thinking. It will be nice next summer to actually get to spend time on the boat thinking about the guy who is going broke paying the high rent. HAHA
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

The last land that went up for rent in my area went for 300 an acre. So maybe 100 isnt so bad?
ITSreelSICKLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

What I do with my landlords is we agree on a price and if the crop is good and prices are up I give them extra dollars per acre. That way in good years they are happy and tight years every ones happy.
Duane H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSreelSICKLE View Post
The last land that went up for rent in my area went for 300 an acre. So maybe 100 isnt so bad?
HAHA Im thinking your crop rotation might be a bit different than ours. Our crops are peas, HRSW, SWS, and canola with average yield being between 40-50bpa. No $300/ac here I would say If there is I will be having a sale real quick!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

To pay the 100 plus, what gross do you need each year to even net anything in YOUR pocket?

Do you need 400 bucks? I mean, historically what are you producing? A bit lower prices and a return to typical dry weather for your area and one year could do a guy in.

Seriously, If I were you, I would contemplate renting out my owned land for that. For you to net 100 plus, would take a consistent, good crop, no? Why not rent out your land to the dummies, wait for them to go broke, then jump back in.

Then you could spend ALL your time on the boat...

Its reel sickle, this is western Canada, we do not grow corn, nor do we get six or eight subsidy checks a year, so yeah, 100 dollar rent is obscene.

Is that something you would consider? Renting out and taking a hiatus? Cuz NETTING 100 plus an acre while PAYING 100 plus rent and all the inputs is iffy, IMO.

I wish someone would offer me 100 plus. I would too be in a boat all summer.
uthinkyourwet? is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well I don't think I would rent mine out but im pretty sure I will be down sizing and only farming what we own until things settle down a bit Its just gone crazy here the last few years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.