machinery link - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default machinery link

whats the opinion about machinery link machines, I have a customer with an r-60 looking at going in with another guy with a machinery link combine, I think they are planning on red. Just wondering if it is cost effective or if I should try to steer them away from it and get them to buy a used machine
greencountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: machinery link

We looked at it and ended up buying a new one for not alot more money per year and we don't have to wait for it to arrive.
lentilgrower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

We also thought about it but as they couldn't guarantee for sure that we would have a combine at a certain date we stuck to owning combines. Also...some of these combines aren't close to being new...so you might end up witha lot of breakdowns
allcolours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I used machinery link for first time and all I can say is good. The combine was supposed to come last week of august but crop came on quickly and with there effort to stay in touch with me and get crop stage reports I had a combine 2 weeks early. It was as clean as a new machine, and all servicing was done before it got to me so all I had to do was daily maintance. I still will own 1 in case they are late getting me one but for my 2nd and 3rd machine I think it was well worth it. The cost was 11,000 less than what my local dealers will trade per year and I kept the inital 300,000 and bought more land that actually generates the revenue and will most likely appreciate not depreciate.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kris that was my biggest concern and I think they had some problems the first year because there are changing to program to adapt to the Canadian farmers. They still touch base with me about twice a year and the new programs are looking alot better than they did 2 years ago. I am glad it works for you but when we were in the position to buy it worked out better to buy a new one and keep our old one as a second machine.
lentilgrower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've heard of guys sharing machines. what does anybody know about this ?? Is it working or just a PITA?? It would seem that if machinery link can model this basic sharing arrangement into a business, then there must be savings in a private deal..
jdgreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very well thought out.
greeniron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
ajl

We found them a lot more expensive than owning your own machine especially since you have to own headers anyways. 2yrs ago we bought a 2006 2388 no heads for 140000. If we had put the 550 seperator hours on a mchinery link machine for the last 2 yrs it would have cost us around $75000. So if you figure that after 2 yrs the machine we have is worth $110000, and 2 yrs interest at 5% on average value at 12500, plus some repairs and maintenance over 2 yrs for $5000 we come to a total cost of $47500 over 2 yrs for our own machine. At the prices they get I am suprised that they are not attracting competition. It does seem that they charge more here in Canada than they do in the US.
ajl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

So what is an average cost per acre for the machinery link? All the figuring i've done for small grains anyways, it is either cheaper to own your own if you have enough acres or hire a harvester is you have less than 1500 acres. Am i missing something? I figured an average cost of $160 seperator hour plus your header.
1394 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

As far as the price, it is pretty high compared to rolling and gettin a new machine every year. The service and the actual machine you will get from has been outstanding for us. We have a 3 year contract and this is our second year on it and the machine is always early. We had a head gasket blow on a 9770 on a saturday afternoon this year, our dealer came and diagnosed it as bein blown at 5 saturday afternoon and we called Machinery Link. The following Tuesday morning we had a machine on our lot, and we're located in Mississippi, I think thats pretty good service.
screamin9860974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.