What have you hit with your combine? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What have you hit with your combine?

I thought this could be entertaining and I will start it off with my list of boo boo's. I'll have to give up a little pride, but hey, we all make mistakes, right? When I was a teenager I hit a car parked on the side of the road with the pick-up header. I put the corn snout through the shed door, apparently the header was wider than I thought. I backed the old Massey into the grain cart tractor's back wheel. That was the most costly one, new tire and straw chopper. How about that grain cart auger left up and the combine auger out. That one wasn't my fault, the combine wasn't even running. The cart driver felt pretty bad. This list is scaring me a little, however I believe looking back, it all happened when I was a teenager. Guess I did grow up some. Some.
arcticcatfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What have you hit with your combine?

ummm i have only just clipped a fence when turning around at the end, but a mate rang me during harvest last year and said he just hit a power pole, bent one side back about 6 inches and destroyed the reel, the best i have heard is a kiwi guy in esperance wa put a 42' honey bee into a pile of rocks. i'll see if i can find the photos i have.
dabby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

let's see. I've hit an electic pole with the unloading auger on my 1660. Brand new augers an tube too. Only unloaded 600 bushels. And a worker backed a full 875 by grain cart over my 4 wheeler. The Honda didn't win on that one. And there was that time that I turned too short with a full cotton trailer, broke the tongue, and away she went into the middle of a pond.
robmgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blogger

we have ran into quite a few things with the combine.
1. a bike hard to get cut out of the corn head got up in the stalk rolls after about 45min of cutting on it with a hack saw finally got it out somebody parked it right in the corn row!
2.a car tire in the corn head took buzz wheel and cut it into to get it out.
3. and a piano in the middle of the corn field!

I guess that is the hazard of farming close to a lot of people!
2366man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blogger

A bunch of kids were made forts out in our field and took a piano out there dad says that he doesn't know how they got it in there took three of the to get it out and a truck!
2366man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
clf

been lucky enough not to hit anything but made a big mistake two years ago went to grag my 30' 1020 head off the wagon my brother had parked it off the side off the lane on an agle ext to the ditch thought I had it locked in rolled back dropped it off the wagon kinda? couldn't get back under it had to jack the wagon and head back up so i coiuld slide under it took almost one hour luckly no damage now I always double check its In the cradle 100% before lifting
clf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I was young and just bought my first combine a Gleaner K I was driving out the driveway and reached down to move a toolbox at my feet. I ran over an arborvitae tree at the end of our sidewalk. No major damage. Broke a guard and bent one reel pipe. Good thing they have shallow roots. My mother was upset, her dad had planted that tree. My pride was hurt the most.
rburk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know a guy who hit a stump with his CR960 doing corn with a 12r. Pushed the feeder house up into the combine and the rotors not quit out the back but close too it. He had 60acres left out of 5000 I believe. As for me hitting anything, nothing more then clipping a few branches.

Take care,

Nathan
agcofan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have hit many rocks, dug corn head snouts into teh ground, my brother ran a guild wire in between the snout and reel of a 220 jd head.
farmerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The only thing I can remember running through the combine was an old rotted wood post. It had rotted into very small chunks, small enough that it was near impossible to see it go in. The rock trap caught it all, only broke a couple guards. When we were combining this fall, towards the inner part of Kansas City, several of the fields had whole engines, tires, chunks of concrete, etc.
GleanerKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.