Best Cutter-bar System - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Cutter-bar System

What is your experience with different cutter-bar systems?

We have a 1020 OEM that is wore out and needs a replacement. We were happy with it but there are alot of options out there.

Options (in order of my opinionated preference):

1.) Kingcut by Crary
2.) SCH system with roller guides
3.) Herschel Adams
4.) OEM

Will the SCH roller guides work on other systems? Also what is your preference in your past experiences?! Are air reels worth the investment?

farmered3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Best Cutter-bar System

We had the SCH Easycut (without roller guides) on an old 810. I hated it, but it was really more the header's fault. The leading edge of the header wasn't perfectly straight (Dad said it was like that from the factory) and the extra drag on the knife was tearing up the wobble box. We switched to the SCH hoping to alleviate the strain on the wobble box, but it instead changed the weak point to the cutterbar itself. The bolt-together bar would break in tough conditions, usually at the drive head. Once we got the drive head welded up and stronger it started breaking elsewhere. 2005 was the last year we used that header and the bar broke for the fourth (and last) time that season as I was opening the very last field. It finally broke in a spot where it couldn't be repaired, so we just finished harvest with one machine. The most frustrating part was not being able to go to town and get parts; they all had to be shipped to us. Kind of a pain in the middle of harvest.

That being said, it probably would've been a good cutterbar if it was on a good header. The knives stayed sharp for a long time (they certainly lasted longer than the ones on our 973 MacDon) and they were easy to replace when needed. It also cut very cleanly in tough conditions.
okpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

We installed a SCH system on our NH 2450 windrower with a dble. drive 14' head after talking to our neighbor who runs one on his TR99 w/ a 20' flex. Absolutely loved it. Increased our cutting speed by 2 mph. It breaks guards and knives at the same rate as the old OEM setup, but were also going 2 mph faster too. It doesn't gum up nearly as bad as the old cutterbar. The roller guides are absolutely reliable, haven't changed one yet. The cutterbar is so much quieter and vibration free than the OEM. Our cutterbar on our 1020 is wore out and were switching to the SCH bar after wheat to do soybeans this year. SI Dist. is very good to work with for parts. As long as you keep a few extra parts on hand and don't deplete your inventory, i wouldn't think about any other cutting system.
tim8200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blogger

tim8200, I was looking at one for my mower conditioner, was your windrower plugging in the rock guards prior to installing the SCH system?
factoryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

the only time it would plug is if you were in down, very matted, wet crop, especially clover-grass mix. alfalfa wasn't as much of a problem however. The SCH bar just devours everything in front of it. It's like No Fear Hay Mowing!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

hey factoryfarmer, where in regards to Geneseo, Illinois is Lee County. I just was in Illinois to look at some equipment at AC McCartney on my way to Iowa to look at some more. That's some nice looking farmland out there compared to up here in New York.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blogger

Quote:the only time it would plug is if you were in down, very matted, wet crop, especially clover-grass mix. alfalfa wasn't as much of a problem however. The SCH bar just devours everything in front of it. It's like No Fear Hay Mowing!

I the clover is so fine it does not seem to cut well. Even the alfalfa is really hard to cut.

Geneseo is a little bit west and south of here. What are you looking at all the way out here? Let me guess are they all out of equipment in New York also It's really crazy around here. We bought a 3710 plow today and there was three guys lined up behind us to buy it
factoryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.