what keeps mice out of combines? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what keeps mice out of combines?

Was wondering what really works for keeping mice and rats from making a home or worse yet, a meal out of the wiring on combines in the shed over the winter. There is a lot of baits and also electronic squealers on the market. Thanks
viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: what keeps mice out of combines?

It may sound funny, but I have learned that MOTH BALLS keep mice away. I take a box, and start throwing them everywhere...like into the grain tank (cause I never can get every single grain out). I put them up in the engine compartment, and even a few in the cab. Yeah, it does make the cab have a different smell, but that smell is better than a MOUSE SMELL!! Leaving the door open for a few hours when I get the combine back outside takes care of the moth ball smell..(that and removing the moth balls from the cab)

I can almost guarantee it works! If it doesnt, please do not come crying, but it sure has worked for me. I also have found the best mouse poison. It is made by (I think) Fort Dodge, and it is called (I am sure) Bar Bait. The package is about 8" long, 4 " wide...8 "scored" blocks. Mice love it, and they also eat it! Unlike "Just One Bite" (the mice just store that stuff up).

I put a few chunks of BarBait above the bottom end of the tailings elevator, in the stone trap, and a few other choice locations.

If it works for ya, click the "exalt" button under my username!

If it doesnt, dont "smite" me! (you know: "Smite not, lest you be smitten") HA HA!
txfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

store with fh up and I have a lot of guys take diesel and used oil mixture and spray in fh and sieves, they say it works and something about the smell of diesel mice don't like. have not heard any bad remarks aftet guys started doing it. gl and some guys on gravel say they spray it around tires on ground so mice won't climb up tires
jdtech34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Irish Spring soap, I take a few bars and cut chunks off, put in truck, combine and tractor cabs...I even put it in the camper...works great unless the mice are already there...then traps and poison..I have used mouthballs same results..Irish Spring just smells better...THE BIG THING, you got to make sure that there are no mice already there, I have put mouthballs in mouse nests...they just stay and multiply...
northernfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that when I do use moth balls, I usually use the a package/box when 'treating' my combine..also, I use the 'cedar scented' moth balls...not that they don't smell like moth balls, but with my nose, every little bit of 'cedar' helps! I use the moth balls in everything I want to keep the mice out of..ie: grain trucks, tractors, water truck, spare p/ups, etc.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am really glad to know about the Irish Spring Soap trick! I am gonna try that soon! That would be a 'better smelling' alternative!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

As JOJOBEAN mentioned...cleanliness.I can also recommend a product called Mouse-Out.

In the fall of 2004 we broke the secondary countershaft on our 8820 which meant the combine stopped full of crop in the separator.Instead of fixing it we just rented a combine to finish harvest but we still had our old combine to put in storage and were concerned about mice since it was still full of crop residue.Our JD dealer recommended Mouse-Out, a lubricant originally developed for aircraft wheel struts(story is on the can) but they found it to be a good mouse repellent so they marketed it that way.We just put a little in empty soup cans and placed them wherever we could get them inside the machine(cab,engine comp.,straw walkers,rocktrap etc..It worked excellent-no mice whatsoever.It smells like mothballs and is available at JD dealers.
cliffcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

we once heard that if you put the christmas tree airfresheners in your combine cab or truck that this will keep mice out, we have doing it for a few years, seems to help!

Pete
850pete2388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:Irish Spring soap, I take a few bars and cut chunks off, put in truck, combine and tractor cabs...I even put it in the camper...works great unless the mice are already there...then traps and poison..I have used mouthballs same results..Irish Spring just smells better...THE BIG THING, you got to make sure that there are no mice already there, I have put mouthballs in mouse nests...they just stay and multiply...

2 years ago we had mice BAD! You know it's bad when you see them climbing up the wall of the quonset and jumping into/onto equipment! Unfortunately, the little buggers ate all the Cab Fresh that I had put in the equipment.
In the past, any time I tried using any sort of soap, I just end up with soap colored mouse poop. Maybe they had already been there when I put it out, I don't remember, but I can't say Irish Spring worked for me. I'd call that one an urban legend.
I was told after having every cab on the farm infested 2 winters ago that if they pee anywhere, to use a mixture of bleach and water to remove the smell. Not so that we don't smell it, but they don't. Once one of the little guys marks his territory, then all of them try to claim it by going over top.

I never have found anything that really prevented them from getting in the equipment better than killing the buggers with poison. Strychnine (sp?) is still my favorite, but it's impossible to get anymore. Now I put out a variety of products. Bait stations with 2-3 different types in it and I drop a package by the tires. If it's not freezing outside, we found that putting a board from the ground to the top of a plastic 5 gallon pail 1/2 full of water makes a good trap. When they get thirsty, they climb up the board and jump in the water, but then they can't get out. When the pail gets a layer of mice on it, throw them out and start again.
olblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Your ideas are just about right on, NorthenFarmer...
You made me think of a trap that I read about in a magazine years ago, and then we tried in while in the mountains. You see, while we were camping in the mountains, we could see mice everywhere (dont know why..they have not been there like that before nor since). Here is the idea for the trap, and BOY, does it work!
I built this outside (hammered the sticks into the ground), so you could modify it easily to work on concrete:
I took two sticks, about 16 inches in length, and put them on each (opposite) side(s) of a two gallon trash can. The sticks should be about 3-4 inches taller than the trash can. Take a Coke can, and punch a nice, small hole in each end, right in the center of the can. Take a piece of bailing wire (or a hanger) and run it through the holes in the can, then tie each end of the wire to the sticks (where tops of sticks are tied together w/ the wire) Put peanut butter about an inch wide (no wider!) in a strip..center of the can, all the way around the can. Fill trash can with only about 6 inches of water (too much water and the critters can get out!).
The mice climb the stick to get to the peanut butter that they smell..walk out on the wire..step onto the can...and PRESTO, the can rotates, and they fall into the water! (make sure the can is not too high above the trash can) The nice part is that the trap has instantly re-set, and is ready to catch MORE!
When we used this in the mountains , we caught 48 mice the FIRST night we used it!! I KID YOU NOT!!
I have tried to draw a (very crude) picture...please don't poke fun, only trying to help! LOL!

Sure worked for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.