Alex's Pix - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alex's Pix

The pixs are really small on my computer. How can I make them larger?

Carolina
carolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Alex's Pix

On these, you can't. It seems that is the default setting on the camera. I called Alex last night an told him to bump that up a ways. He checked through the settings last night and I think he might even have read the manual a little today, since they didn't do much. We'll get something figured out pretty soon, hopefully with the next batch of pictures.

A question for you guys. I've been resizing the pictures to fit on the screen of a computer at 1024x768 resolution. The larger I get the pictures, the bigger the files are, and the longer it will take you to download them. In general, do you all want larger or smaller pictures?

-Lance
mx270a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lance, I think resizing some of the largest pics on this forum would be a very good idea! I know so many have been posted here, you would not have time to do all of them, but just work on the largest ones, anyway.
Many are so large in fact, that they just finish downloading for those of us with old computers or lack of high-speed internet.
combiness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

On this message board, that is difficult. I would have to download a copy of the image, resize it, host it somewhere, and then edit the URL to the image. That is more work than I care to do for the # of images posted on here. I much rather prefer to mark those threads with a warning for 56K users. You may have seen some that I have done that way, as I like to add some humor to the titles.

I was talking picture size for the pictures I have on my site.

-Lance
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay. Yes, I've seen the precautions for those others. I just was thinking about the message pics, though.
combiness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I believe that the size if fine. Although I have a fast internet connection, I understand where the slower internet connection users are coming from. I like them the large size because I am able to see more and the pictures are better and more detailed. I will wait an extra minute to let it download to see a bigger picture!
rother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lance - 1024x768 would be Great. I like to display some pix on my desktop and the resolution of the large pix are great.

Thanks, Carolina
carolina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like small pix on the forum but I CAN"T SEE THEM AT ALL!!!!! all that comes up are the little boxes where they are supposed to be and nothing else. i right-click and select show picture and nothing happens. half the time I can't see avatars and pm icons, smilies, poster level stars and the like. Running windows XP
minneola450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lance,
the pixel size of the picture isn't the only thing that determins the file size. The image quality is at least as important.
I use ACDsee for my photos. When I resize photos for internet use I usually resize them to about 1600x1200 and go down to about 80% on the JPG quality. That brings most photos below 500kb.
Going to 1200x800 and 70% image quality should get them below 300kb. Below 300kb the quality loss is significant.
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Ralf, I usually try to get the pictures smaller than 1200x800 so that they can mostly fit on a screen at 1024x768. To me, it seems to be a good balance of clarity and file size. I usually end up in the 150-200 KB area for file size, so they are pretty quick on any broadband connection. For those people still on dial-up, well, sorry, there is only so much I can do for ya. That's why I make the thumbnails.

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.