The Combine Forum banner

Election Australia

4K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  small time operator 
#1 ·
usually refrain from political comments.

Liberals to be returned with reduced majority.

Option 2 Liberals returned with hung parliament nick xhenaphon the most powerful man in Australian politics more so than PM. Strange system we have.

Liberal or labour should be able to govern in there own right without having to pander to minorities. A wasted vote when voting for independants another 4 years of nothing govt.

End of rant

#2 ·
Yep its hard to see whats going to change....party x will run the show and set the agenda...

I think the independents will rise a bit given the fiasco in last 10 years or so....some are trying tonget there electorate to be very close between parties so they get funding...if your in a majority liberal seat you miss out on the $$$....wannon a classic example compared to corrangamite...which they throw cash at...

The senate sheet is a joke...this was my first time voting ever...i can see the senate being a mess...voting with a pencil as well...didnt think that would wash in world standards either?

It may be close not sure...

Ant...

#3 ·
Well I live in Corangamite and there has been no shortage of Politicians passing through here. I attended a rally for the CFA a week ago highlighting the proposed changes and the Union take over of the CFA. We had Makaila Cash address us and she is a very impressive lady who gives the impression she knows what she is up to.
The whole CFA thing should be a massive free kick for the Liberals because if this deal is a sign of things to come under a Labor government then look out Australia. As a result any Liberal pollie with a heartbeat has been out trying to turn a state issue into a federal one.

Malcom has been a real disappointment, but I think he will hang on probably with a reduced majority and the Senate will be a mess with more independent's and minor parties than ever.

#23 ·
Gotta disagree with you, when the libs kicked Turnbull out and slipped Abbot in I thought, you have got to be joking. He has about as much appeal to the middle majority as a 12 day old mulie. Religious right wing, yeah that viewpoint sure will appeal to most Australians (NOT). And I'm afraid the climate change denial position is increasingly harder to maintain if you stick to looking at the real science. Of course if you rely on "wot I read on the internets" that is a much easier position to hold. But that dont mean I hold with 70% of the climate change crap that is spewed out by the increasingly left wing press and the self appointed climate change revolutionaries. You can tell they are spouting BS when their lips are moving! Turnbull has done a reasonable job given he has been hamstrung by the secret agreements he obviously had to make as far as retaining previous policy positions so as to get enough votes to get the spill over the line. Of course that will all disappear if he gets over the line tomorrow. While he has done okay I have been less than impressed at times when he could have gone harder against opponents and the press. Maybe he will harden up if he gets a second term.

#6 ·
Im surprised Q&A or sky news or fairfax is not on the ballot sheet, since they seem to set the agenda most weeks? I voted for a politician who will pander to the media....when public sentiment feels sorry for dairy farmers they get half a billion dollars out of the blue...if the milk cut never made the news they wouldnt get a cent....like grain prices!

After seeing the senate vote sheet i will be very surprised if its not a mess and theybwill struggle to pass anything...

Will there be a double disolution?

Ant...

#9 ·
shooter fishers farmers party sure they may have merit and even "look" after farmers but there not going run the country wasted vote.
x80 spot on everything is media driven even tony abbotts unpopularity was media driven.
some of the drivel on channel ten 'the project' no guess as to how they will vote but how many young people will they influence as its possibly the only news they watch cause "its a cool view of the news"

any way cheers off to pick up a new landy workmate yeehah

#31 ·
shooter fishers farmers party sure they may have merit and even "look" after farmers but there not going run the country wasted vote.
They are not trying to run the country, thats why they only run in the upper house / senate.

They are not attempting to run the country, just stop all parties doing stupid things, and helping them make good decisions. If they were not there the greens would likely have the balance of power and could do farming real damage.

There they have power to alter or stop legislation which effects their constituents, as well as introduce their own legislation.

In NSW where they have been in parliament for over 20 years they have a policy of working with the government where it does not negatively effect their constituents. They have negotiated with unions and other groups to alter government legislation so it be better for all.

I personally know both Borsac and Brown who are our NSW members and both have shot ducks on my rice and joined our local fox drive. We need more politicians like these two as they have had successful careers before going into politics to protect our way of life.

I also know Karl who was up for election today and spent the day handing out how to votes for him. Hopefully he will get up on preferences and stop another green getting in.

#11 ·
err, I feel the 'two party' system has run its course

shooters fishers & farmers party - what a joke! Im a farmer & they CERTAINLY don't represent me. Just a bunch of racist middle aged white men whod look more at home in Alabama or Mississippi

coal mines
coal seam gas
protection of farmland
protection of water
the environment
renewable energy
the NBN - fast broadband & communication

these are all the things that are important to me, & NEITHER of the major parties are addressing them

The Nats are just a bunch of spineless dinoaurs, Libs are just cunts, & Labour just useless .......

#13 ·
nbn couldn't find my address the road according to them doesn't exist therefore I can register even though they find the 2kmsstart of the road and the 2 km end just the 17 kms in the middle cant be .
recognized.

I'm not going to argue whos good or bad probably of little consequence the rural vote unfortunately counts for little in big picture I guess. Weve had relalinging of boundaries etc which encompass more populated areas into what was rural seats tilts the vote a bit.

#14 ·
I dont see voting in politics having anything to do with reform in agri marketing....or structure....has anyone taken a new ag funding policy that was going to revamp australian ag in the last 20 years?

As far as effort goes....wtf...i work 7 days in a mine 13 hours a day...2 days in travel and 5 days working on my farm....i had my first holiday last week to darwin for 4 years...

Id be happy to compare my work hours to most....over the course of year day in day out...if i had spare time to attend meetings that would be welcomed...if meetings were planned on my weeks home...id be pressed to get there due to work load...i have to manage my time otherwise this farming thing wontbhappen and time spent at the VFF wont be much use...if aint farming no point in flapping my gums at grain corp....

Cheap shot i feel...but you owe me a few lol!!

Ant...

#15 ·
Do mantince planers work or just drink coffee and annoy people on sites?

As for voting each of is one in millions but it's our most basic right in a democracy to put our opinion forward.

Maybe you should get to some VFF meetings and may begin to understand the amount of lobbying that goes on under the radar on bits around the edges.

As for time to make meetings I think that is the biggest thing that effects Agri politics and lobbying. Every one is time poor in AG it seems.

#16 ·
Im not a maintenance planner....and im at home...do farmers just sit around on the forum!...i thought that was the whole idea!!...

Id would have voted earlier of someone was taking ag policy to the election,,but ive never seen except the register for foreign ownership...

The challenge with fifo is i am only allowed to take 1 week blocks of annual leave and i get three blocks a year...1 for seeding ..two for harvest,..so unless it falls on my 5 days off its close to impossible...there was a few i really wanted to attend this year...only 2 years to go snd will be home full time so that will be a welcome change trust me...

Yes we are All time poor...make cereal $400 a tonne and see how that changes!...

Ant...

#26 ·
STO, i think they said it was at 9 year low?...my UK friends are locking in milling wheat forward contracts like mad...anywhere from 115 to 140 pound per tonne...some with feed option...apparently france has had alot of rain in south so milling spec grain will be harder to find.

The F1 futures on asx....is that worth locking into as i cant see it being worth to much over $200 a tonne at harvest time...

Ant...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.