The Combine Forum banner

Soft yard, weeping tile???

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fena farms 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed weeping tile in front of their bins? My yard used to be really good and solid, but with so many wet years it has become a bog hole. I'm thinking of digging it down 3-4 feet, pack with a sheeps foot packer, build it back up with a foot or two of clay and packing as I go, putting in a foot or so of good coarse pit run gravel, then good gravel on top. Was thinking I should put in some tile drainage to get rid of the ground water, this spring I could barely get through with a tractor it was so bad. If you parked something there for a few minutes, the water would start bubbling up. It's still soft now but not quite as bad, I used to be able to haul grain all spring with no problems. If I put in tile, how deep would I have to go so that heavy trucks won't end up squishing the pipe? any other options?

#2 ·
We tiled our yard. Not sure if it helps all that much but the tile certainly runs. The big truck create such a compaction layer the water has a tough time soaking in. Where the trucks don't run it soaks it up pretty good though. We installed some 5' deep and some 3'.

#4 ·
You need a place to drain your yard off to, weeping tile won't help unless you plan to install a pit or tank and pump it out of there. Also the moisture would have to soak through the soil to get to the tile, best to have the water run off the surface I'd say. Do you have a really high water table there by any chance?

#5 ·
The yard is built on a side hill with good drainage, it's just been so wet here for so many years, the water table has risen higher. Hasn't been as wet here for the last couple of years, but when it was still wet, we had water running out of the sides of the hills in our fields so I'm thinking this is what is happening here. We have about a foot to a foot and a half of topsoil here then solid hard clay beneath that, which causes alot of our excess moisture issue, water can't soak down. But I guess obviously some water has soaked into it! In the yard all the topsoil was removed then clay used to build it up then gravel. It was very solid up until a couple years ago.

#6 ·
Well if your going to be digging up your yard any how, I would suggest putting down some form of geo fabric. We did that in our yard and you can sure tell where it is. I'd talk to a local contractor that installs the stuff so you know for sure what type and where in the profile and what depth to put it at. I know they use it on lease roads and some of the county roads around here. seems to work good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.