New farmer needing advise - The Combine Forum

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New farmer needing advise

Hi I am looking for advise, I am new at this. I have 1000ac of cultivated land, have tractor and seeding tool, misc tillage items, discs, harrows etc.. I have everything to get a crop in the ground. Now out of money. So no grain storage, combine, grain truck. No sprayer. Not many custom operators around. I do not own hay equipment. I don't want livestock. What would you do at this point? From what I can see my options could be:
-rent the land to established farmer
-spend/borrow about $100,000 for 'pretty good' hay equipment
-spend/borrow the same amount and get some used storage bins and probably lower end combine and truck.
Not sure what to do, any money potential in this, or keep the day job (I would anyway, just not sure if I should keep throwing money into the farm or if it is a losing proposition). If there is money to be made then it is worth more investment I think. I am in Canada.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Where in Canada are u? How much per acre would u get for cash rent in your area?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
More questions..
What part of Canada? Is the land paid for? Will you live on or off the farm? What crops do you intend to grow? What is the crops/hayland ratio, does the type of land dictate that you have to grow both? I'm thinking of the time required to do both versus your job. Do you have help available... ie family or friends that are interested. Are you mechanically inclined, able to maintain and repair equipment? Do you have a farm background? If married does your wife favor the idea? If she is not on board forget it and rent it out.
I'm not saying that it can't be done. I did it but I grew up on a farm as did my wife and we had helpful in-laws. It was a struggle at first but we made it. I am mechanically inclined and if I couldn't afford a piece of equipment I built it myself or bought an old junker and rebuilt it. I don' have hay or livestock.
Enough for now, good luck with whatever decision you make. I am sure that others on this forum will contribute too.
Last gen farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, in NW Alberta in the Peace. I have a general idea that land rents for roughly 55/ac but have not specifically asked. I will probably build a house a house on it somewhere. Seems like most people around here have a quarter hobby farm with a few horses, and work in town. I think the land is underutilized in general for serious farming. My land was all old hayland, but I have broken it up in the fall. I can either go into quality alfalfa, or into grain or a mix. I grew up with cows, don't want any of my own now. No debt at this point, so I am at a crossroads.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Expense everything out, rent enough to pay your input etc bills on a portion you don't rent. Maybe make a deal with the renter to even combine your crop. Keep at least some of the VERY BEST for yourself. Get someone to bale your straw for extra cash for next year.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
If it was me I would sell some unneeded land prep tools and do hay or keep what you have and rent the land out for a few years and save that money up to be able to afford the equipment to do hay at this point there is not enough Money in grain farming to get into it and if you are in grain farming you are stuck in it right now trying to make ends meet with the price
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Good stuff thanks, kind of what I thought, numbers did not seem too favourable at this time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 PM

Choose the very best grain ground and put 1/4 of canola in. Do everything PERFECTLY to get the best crop possible. Rent enough of the rest to pay all/most expenses on that canola dirt. Try have renter combine your canola crop. ROTATE your rents in such a way to always allow you to put a quarter of canola in every year. LET RENTER KNOW IN ADVANCE what and why. Lots of guys might like the arrangement. There's still enough acres to rotate that way and canola is the best paying crop. Don't cheap out. Spray twice in crop. Good luck and enjoy the farm.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Oh yeah the renter's will be falling all over themselves to give up the canola rotation and then combine the crop!

I'd be all in or all out.
Duchek and Bar D like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 AM

Way to miss my point. Read what I wrote. I'm trying to find a solution for a new young farmer starting out and with the right scenario the renter will still have a huge range of cropping options minus the field current year and 1 for next rotation. That's still 860 extra acres. I guess if I was like you and cropped 30,000 acres I can see how you might think. Hmmm actually I don't. So I guess you don't have to rent it anyway since you're so smart and in Greenland and all OUT. Better now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page