How many use Visa rewards like Aeroplan or Aventura? - The Combine Forum

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
How many use Visa rewards like Aeroplan or Aventura?

The discussion of which credit card people use for farm business came up a while back on the forum. But I was wondering just now how many of this community use rewards credit cards for their large farm purchases like fertilizers and other inputs, despite the 2 or 3% fees retailers charge to pay for the fees they pay to Visa (or other credit card company).

We use our Aeroplan miles to travel quite frequently (overseas every year or two) as we all enjoy traveling. I like to see the world before it's destroyed by war and pestilence. Putting farm inputs through visa accumulates quite a few points... for us it's more than enough to send two people overseas a couple of times each year or more.

Just curious how many others do the same? I don't mean a particular card like Aeropan. But just in general.

radar likes this.

Last edited by torriem; 01-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We do sort of the same ,,works for us,we like the infinite visa ,any flight any time, westjet rbc only the base fare no taxes,

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We use TD Visa Infinite as well. Especially easy if you go to TD expidia site and book online and points come directly off account. As far as retailer charging 2 or 3%, I know they pay to use Visa, and I've asked if I get a discount if I use a check and my retailers have told me same price either way, so I use the card. I've heard of some retailers giving discount if you don't use cards but mine don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes absolutely if their price is the same for cash or credit card, we'll go with credit card every time.

More and more retailers are charging an additional fee. CPS does for sure. Both on bulk fertilizer and on herbicides. Fancy business rewards credit cards charge retailers more fees than your basic cards do. I've heard from a shop owner that it can be as high as 4%.

Typically when we get quotes for fertilizer I'll ask for credit card prices. Except for CPS, most fertilizer retailers will charge about $10/tonne for credit card (total blend price, not necessarily per individual product tonne) Often I can get credit card prices at these other retailers that are better than CPS's cash price. Anyway, $10/tonne is real money, but through travel redemption I figure we're paying most of that to ourselves.

Maybe I should have made this a poll, though maybe it's not that interesting. But I do think farmers who have any interest in travel should take advantage of these cards and see some warm places in the winter. And to treat yourself try a long flight in business class (quite affordable with Aeroplan but Aventura points not so much). It's so nice to actually sleep on a long flight. And the airport lounges aren't too bad either. Free food, nice couches. Especially nice if one has to go through Frankfurt. No food courts inside security there. Really sucks.
bad altitude likes this.

Last edited by torriem; 01-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we use WestJet RBC. I have looked for info to try and compare different cards, like which one gives the best bang for your buck. Can't find any conclusive evidence.
Anyone have any links on choosing the best return on investment.

Quick story, I made large fertilizer purchase on my card, up to limit, than forgot to pay it off. Went to Hawaii, than wife says card wont work. Good thing we have a 2nd cc, diff company. I made online pymt immediately. Couple weeks after getting home, I phone RBC, to plead for mercy, they ended up crediting back all the interest penalty. I was dumbfounded, said thank you very much. The balance was historically always paid every month till this incident. So I'm thinking one time forgiveness, or is it the percentage they make off all my purchases, they didn't want to lose me as a customer.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

That's great to be treated well like that.

So for Aventura, it's 100 points per dollar. So if the flight cost $1000, that's 100,000 points. Business class is usually 3x the cost (or more), so that's at least 3x the points. Now I'm not sure how fast they accumulate, but we got about 300,000 in a year, and probably would have got closer to 500,000 but we switched back to using Aeroplan when I made our last big fertilizer purchase in December.

For Aeroplan, we probably get about 400,000 points a year, and typical Europe round trip tickets are probably around 70,000 points. But Aeroplan seems to have a better deal on business class. Business class to Europe would be about 150,000 to 160,000 points per person. Also Aeroplan allows changing of any part of a ticket for $75 a person per leg, which is not bad really. We've changed tickets mid-trip before. And you can cancel them for a full refund up to 22 days prior to the trip, which is really nice. Not sure about Aventura in that regard.

If I think of it later I'll look on Aeroplan and get some real numbers to post here, rather than just guessing based on previous trips.

Last edited by torriem; 01-11-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Guess there always a place where there reason to use credit cards and collect points, but think all these plans generally increasing number of points/flight. In fact, last Spring with Aeroplan cost me 90K to get back from Asia business class and looking at it this yr almost seems to be 90K for economy. Maybe just Aeroplan, but that is what I am seeing.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I have aeroplan, and it's tough to get any good flights unless you wanna use extra miles. Example 30000 miles from Regina to Halifax leave a 23:55 3 stops and 22:40 the next day in economy your there. Or 65000 miles and direct business class flight.

I just got a bmo world elite card for all my farm purchases, I can't comment on rewards though.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Airmiles is a bad joke. You were at their whim on exchange rate redeeming them.
Been with BMO world elite for a couple years and they have been great. Straight % on purchases and straight cash to booking.
Booked the crop production hotel through it.

Don't do any input purchases with it. Cash is king.
meritmat likes this.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I didn't know there is an aeroplan card yet! My original one was converted to CIBC Aventura. I just started another one with RBC not sure of rewards but has higher limit so use that one for fertilizer bill!

Like Stuck in the Mud says, I only used once (I think) for actual air travel. Most times you can rub a segment off a flight but the second flight becomes full fare after that point - so kind of useless unless you live in London or Frankfurt! Used to fly quite often Calgary/Frankfurt/Moscow and beyond before marriage . Tried using air miles, most times if you bought all segments on same ticket, ended up the extra flight cost $400. If you used air miles the extra flight cost $1200. I end up using miles for purchase like Iphones etc. for kids, cameras and a few other items. I would prefer cash back and I know there are some of those cards out there as well.

Aeroplan used to be bad for blackout periods and I wanted to fly when I wanted to fly not when they decided that for me and it generally coincided with the blackout times when everybody wants to go somewhere!

My last card RBC Visa Platinum Avion or whatever it is called and my other one charge me $120 or $90 per year so it doesn't come without a price either. I think the whole system is BS when you look at what they charge the retailer, YOU a fee for the card and YOU an exorbitant interest rate if you made monthly payments. Nothing but money, money for them! I disagree with the system! People that can't manage their affairs and are not money managers are really hurt! I do feel sorry - not so much for them but for the people that take advantage of them. Sad state of affairs!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page