The Combine Forum banner

Grain bin yards

19K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Baudy 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get some plans on how to layout a new bin yard. Starting from scratch I need a plan

#2 ·
Me too!

I've tried using google. Also searching on here and NAT. Some good pics out there. It's almost harder when starting from scratch because you don't know where to start! With existing bins, you already know (kind of) what the setup needs to make it work better!

Andrew

#6 ·
I'll edit my answer after this but,

What quantity in what size of bins are you looking to store at this location? What % would this be of your total grain storage?

What are the reasons for building a new bin yard? Closer to farmland? Constraints with utilities/area/other in your current yard?

There is a vastly different answer for putting up a few 1805's in a different location versus building a 200,000bu storage yard.

#7 · (Edited)
AB Agriculture used to have a book with several designs in it, I have a copy somewhere, think I know where it is, I'll check later on, gotta run at the moment.

Ah just went and looked and found it. On Farm Grain Handling and Storage Layouts. Cover faded a bit but the missus says the Agdex number is 732-16
Has some charts on things like auger lengths needed and such, but my copy is several years old, not sure if it would even be available on the Ab ag site or not.

#8 ·
I love big (40,000 bu) flatbottom storage. Price per bus much lower than hoppers and I think air moves through them better.
Hoppers have their place certainly for seed, and around dryers...I just can't imagine starting from scratch on a bin yard full of hoppers$$! Unless of course it is something that you feel you may have to liquidate in future.

#11 ·
I don't know what the big deal was with the semi-circle bin systems back in the 70's and 80's but whoever was behind it needed a kick in the nuts! We had one here, terrible for semi's and snow removal. I sure was glad when it was removed.

I am working in straight rows now, agree with the east-west rows. I think 7-8 ring bins aerate the best. Make sure you have room for semi's to turn. Good drainage is important. Put it next to 3-phase and gas if at all possible, not doing so was my big generational screw-up which at least can be rectified for a cool 100K.:sFun_doh2:

#12 ·
Sort of on topic, sort of not. Does anyone know of a good easy to use program for drawing up on the computer a bin yard layout. Would be handy to have a precise bin yard layout so a guy can better plan/give out to contractors when planning an expansion etc.... . I got frustrated with most cad programs and just got out some graphing paper. But it would be handier to have it on the computer so I can make changes easily with different layouts and plans.

#13 ·
I am by no means techy so I am sure you will get a much better answer than this one. I used graph paper too, but wanted to get a better perspective of how things would work in existing yard. I paste google earth image of yard in Paint. Then cut out bins from the yard or neighbours yards from the same scale, and move them around in the paint program. Then you can draw in stuff to if you like. I've also used this for brainstorming crude drainage ideas and bush removal on different farms. Kinda elementary school computer stuff i know, but it works for me.

#17 ·
I actually kind of like the circle system only for the fact I could transfer bin to bin without having a truck. I'm also trying to figure a new bin yard. Switching from conventional cropping where it went combine to bin then bin to elevator. Now we are switching to organic and need to incorporate drying and cleaning. In and out of bins into trucks and back to bins is alot of wasted movement. A leg would be nice but lots of $$ and your are commited to that setup. I was thinking on the circle because I can use my existing hoppers on skids and modify and existing auger. Then if I can afford later I can drag the bins around and put up a leg. Anyone use the circle setup? What are your 2 cents?

#18 ·
The general consensus from the previous posts that I agree with 100% is that circles suck. Pivots go in circles, grain bins in a straight line.

#20 ·
That one would be tough to clear snow, or move the dryer. Is it yours?

I've seen some where they set it up with the augers like a set of clock hands. Truck drives by the cicle over a central unload point and can hit any bin. Swing the augers and unload to the same spot from any bin. Very limited on expansion but I like the idea because it keeps any messes in one spot. Straight row is good for hauling out of but sucks for moving bin to bin as you clean and dry. I would like to have my cleaner stationary and bring grain to it instead of it to the bin. For now I guess I have more sweat than $ so carry on. Someday a mini elevator set up where a guy can move grain by flipping levers and switches, someday.

#22 ·
That one would be tough to clear snow, or move the dryer. Is it yours?

I've seen some where they set it up with the augers like a set of clock hands. Truck drives by the cicle over a central unload point and can hit any bin. Swing the augers and unload to the same spot from any bin. Very limited on expansion but I like the idea because it keeps any messes in one spot. Straight row is good for hauling out of but sucks for moving bin to bin as you clean and dry. I would like to have my cleaner stationary and bring grain to it instead of it to the bin. For now I guess I have more sweat than $ so carry on. Someday a mini elevator set up where a guy can move grain by flipping levers and switches, someday.
Not mine. Just a pic I found. Don't think it would work well once there is much snow on the ground!

Expansion - see the PDF link I posted. Can go out from those initial bins with drags like spokes on a wheel.

Still not the most ideal I don't think, but if your bins are on hoppers/skids, then you could always try it and change later. Start with a well packed gravel area and you can rearrange 100 times if you like.

Andrew

#25 ·
Just out of curiosity, what does a leg cost roughly? Anyone put on up recently? I would love one but not in the near future, have a lot of other things to buy first!

#26 ·
A 56' leg that is 3500BPH with support tower is 35K. Ladders and platforms are just over 6K. Plus there would be a bit of labor and some crane rental.

Reactions: radar
#28 ·
Really? I was thinking it would be more than that. Not that that's cheap, was just thinking it would be a lot more. Wow, that's a first, usually it the other way around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.