Silage packing with payloader - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silage packing with payloader

Does anyone have an explanation or reason as to why everyone always tells me that payloaders are no good for packing silage?
I've heard things about transmission issues with pushing at an uphill angle?
I'm looking to upgrade my loader tractor and a payloader would be a good fit, but only if it will pack silage as well.
Rhofhuis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Only thing i would think is it maybe tippy being articulated might want duals if your concerned about oil run level a bit above full seen loaders used before with no issues
alfred123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

We used to use a hough 30b payloader to push but she's getting a bit old now and I want it to live a bit longer so we have stopped using it. But it worked well.
blanchfarm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mostly stability, safety and speed.

Wheel loaders are made to dig and carry. Not push up a hill. They are painfully slow. Even the newest ones are still very slow.

You have to remember, they only have 100-200hp in the ones you will commonly see on farms. All of that power is going through a torque converter (except the new K series cats with Hydro). Its a slow process.

Pack some long cut grasses with one and you're sphincter may tighten up a bit as you rock side to side the whole way up.

I have seen people put duals on them.

I think the main reason they are not used though is due to their inefficiency for the job at hand, as well as farmers generally having a tractor around that they can just put a blade on.
durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

go with a jcb pay loader that all thats used in the uk i will out push any tractor and loader a good hawk fork on the front i can pick up half a load and push the other half up the pit one push job done ive ran many hours pushing silage in i can keep in front of 17 trailers hauling and keeping it rolled and there on a 10 mile haul with 2 loads an ac run dauls only resson nedded to keep the edges rolled nice
mark 1056 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

pushing silage with a blade is a joke and not proper cant pack the best silage with a blade farmers i packed silage for have won many prizes for there silage
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pushing silage with a silage blade on a tractor? We get very good density with ours. unless you are referring to dozers or something?

On the wheel loader note, they also have 0 traction. Part of it is the machine design, part is the rubber they put on them. The radial tires are designed for 8,000-12,000hrs or so.
durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why can't u pack silage with a blade next I wont be able to fish with a pole. The trick to making the tightest piles in the world is layers you never want to add more then 6 inches at a time. You cant pack 300 tons a hr with a 200 hp endloader and make good piles...
Central WI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central WI Farmer View Post
Why can't u pack silage with a blade next I wont be able to fish with a pole. The trick to making the tightest piles in the world is layers you never want to add more then 6 inches at a time. You cant pack 300 tons a hr with a 200 hp endloader and make good piles...
using a blade you cant tease the pile while rolling the pit to keep it leavel this in turn get the maxum amount of air out of the pile i will not allow a load to tip before the pervious load is rolled in and leveled i in turn try not to put more than 4 inches at a time in the pit a pay loader is amazing on the pit with michy tractor type tires put front duals on you have the best out there to push silage in google jcb 414 pushing silage in with a jcb there will be no doubt one on you tube

grass yeild in the uk are any where from 10t ac to 20 t ac in yeild some times wet to i can push up a whole load in one shot no issue spread it as i go up and down and tease as i go up and down the pit every time i roll using a blade you cant do it once you have used a fork you would never use a blade even a push off buck rake on front links of a tractor will not make silage like a pay loader
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

we used a big dozer for awhile now a 8360R to pack silage tightest pack I have seen is with the tractor plus its more stabill than the articulated pay loader
crossbredFARMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.