Welding on Truck Frame - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Welding on Truck Frame

I am building a pintle hitch for my semi truck and am wondering if it would be ok if I welded on the frame for added support for the hitch. I am planning on welding a heavy support bracket just behind my differential to add towing strength to the hitch. I will need to make a few welds to the frame to do this. My question is is it ok to weld on the truck frame or will it do damage or weaken the frame?
Mr Monk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm no engineer, but I have experience in welding. What I would do is weld a plate on each frame rail to work from (this minimizes the heat put on the actual frame). Be sure to only weld the plates along the frame rails length ways on the edges only. Do not weld them across the face depth of the frame, just top an bottom length ways, on edges. Once your plates are in place, you are free to weld anything you like to them (the plates).
Mongoheadmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is always better to drill holes and then bolt to the main frame rails whatever you need to put on. Due to the twisting of the rails, welds will crack. If you need to mount some kind of support, build it to fit either inside or outside the rails and then bolt it in place. Do not attach anything to crossmembers.

There are actual rules involved with mounting attachments on trucks. I do have lot of experience rigging trucks as winch and picker units. Have also converted many with Hendrickson or Camelback to air ride. You have to be careful what you do where. Also, if any welding done regarding the installation or manufacture of a hitch is done by a none certified welder, or if the attachment is not engineered, major major liability lawsuits coming your way if it ever fails and is determined to be the cause of an accident. My advice, is have an licensed welding shop mount your hitch, then if it ever fails, the onus is not on you.

The days of the average joe rigging or modifying his truck ended about 15 years ago actually legally.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have built a lot of pintle hitch's on the back of semi trucks. I have welded them all on never seen one crack yet. The back of the frame doesn't twist nearly as much as the middle. Most every dump truck truck I have ever seen the rear hinges are welded to the frame.
Central WI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've seen a lot of farm truck box hoist hinge points welded at the back of the frame or hitches .... but won't claim its right, just that its done. From my understanding and Albertabuck can confirm or deny this, that no holes should be drilled into ether the top or bottom frame flange, only on the sides of the frame.

If your going to do any amount of drilling you will need some good quality drill bits as some frames are very tough to drill through and using a hand drill is not a lot of fun, never mind the chance of jamming and twisting off a bit. If you can get your hands on a magnetic drill, that would be ideal and use cutting lube to prolong the drills life.
Northern Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good point Northern, I never even thought of mentioning that. Absolutely, NEVER weld or drill the top or bottom flanges of the rails

Yes, there is less flexing and twisting behind the housings, however, seldom have I ever seen a truck with a skirt or hitch welded on that hadn't had cracks welded up over time.

As for welding at the rear of the rails which is often seen, is it not proper anymore, it was accepted practice for many years but it is something you would never see a high end rig up utilize even years back, for example, Lennox, which still is top of the heap in the patch. Everything was always bolted.

Often guys like to weld hitches and such on to a truck because it is easy and quick, well quick and easy isn't always best. And the rules have changed. headache racks on new rig ups require an engineers approval, as do walking decks, ramps, subframes and the skirt (rear hitch) as well. Anything that has to do with pulling or carrying the load and protecting the driver. Those laws come in around 2000 give or take a year or so. When doing a CVIP it is the responsibility of the mechanic to check for certification number prior to checking off the boxes on the forms. Older stuff was grandfathered in. Yes there are a lot of mechanics that don't bother to check.

Of course farm trucks even though commercial get away with a lot of the rules, but safety is always forefront and should not be jeopardized just to save time or costs.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lifted this off of a google image search. Don't know if you need a drop hitch like that, if not it could be shortened to be little or no thicker than the frame rails.
The design is solid though and you tear the truck in half before that hitch came apart.

joesixpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

The place I work at in the winter builds oil patch trucks of all kinds,pulling units,winch,acid,pump trucks to name a few.If someone welds ANYTHING to the frame,they're looking for a job.
boss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'll be dammed, was looking on Kijiji tonite and what do I see, one of the very trucks we rigged up

This was one of our 1998 RD688 Mack picker units, not sure which unit exactly but its one of three unit numbers 203-205. Pitman Hydralift 8 ton, our own built rigging, this was in the days before it needed to be engineer approved, and still not one weld on the frame of the truck, everything bolted. Was designed so everything except the picker was actually attached to a two piece sub frame. Camelback was replaced with the Air Link suspension.

Brings back a lot of memories, I knew everyone of all 28 of those trucks, pickers, winch and straight tractors, personally inside and out, not only built the newer ones, but cared for them for seven years. Anyone recognize the color scheme of the truck and the custom built front grille guard The whole fleet had the same bumper and they were all painted the same, some of the older ones I painted myself The pickers were always yellow and there was the candy cane stripes on the pipe in the bumper in the days prior to them being bought out by Producers Group, which was shortly after I had left for the last time

Last edited by albertabuck; 09-03-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
albertabuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

If your looking to add a hitch on the back I would have it done by a professional. Imagine your in a wreck and the hitch fails. Would be nice to say to the cops that the hitch was done by a professional welder. Especially when your trailer comes off and hits a school bus or something.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.