custom harvest rates for corn - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default custom harvest rates for corn

in our area there is basically no custom harvesters so hear is what we were wanting to know. what would it cost per acre to have your corn custom harvested. does the farmer pay extra for the grain cart or is that just part of the price. we were actually debating if it would be feasible to have it custom done. if a guy had his own trucks to keep the machines running what would the cost be per acre to harvest 2000 acres. and the next question would be is there any custom harvesters that run in michigan during corn season in normal years we start corn mid to end of october and most is done in november. thanks in advance
8010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know this for a fact, but I've heard something about 40 cents a bushel straight through. This is standing to in the elevator. Grain cart really isn't any benefit to the customer, unless you may get a little more average moisture readings, by mixing it up a little better. This price was a couple years ago, so I'd say could be as high as 45 cents.
3x2188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
beh
Administrator

I can sure beat the rates quoted assuming the corn yeilds well. I would gladly visit with you as my major corn customer is persuing other business ventures; I do not see me coming to Michigan but stranger things have and will happen.

Brad
beh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Why would you go to an area cut rate to just get the job not knowing what the fields are like, size, elevator etc...
jbharvest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
beh
Administrator

There is a lot of difference between visiting and taking. I can hopefully learn what the situation is and help them whether I get asked (which I may or may not take the job if offered) to harvest their corn or not. I sure would go look before taking. Never hurts to talk.

Cut rate? 45 cents picked and hauled seems steep to me if the yield is good (150+) if the haul and field size/terrain is reasonable at all.

Turned down corn work at 24 cents hauled 15 miles this fall in the sandhills. Now that is cut rate. And I have good confirmation they got it picked for that.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

as i said before there is not alot of custom harvest done in our area so to get a true price that is why i asked. most of the guys in our are that do some custom work charge by the acre. trucking is always done by the per bushel rate. i have been told most guys around us that do any custom work charge anywhere from 28 to 30 dollars per acre. that does not include any trucking expense harvest only but there are no real custom harvest crews around us. the one quote of 50 dollars per acre seemed a little high to me just for harvest. but like i said there is not much done near us thank you
Old 02-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

In our area rates are charged per acre $30-$40, and trucking extra. Trucking was around $3-$5 tonne.
andy8570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
beh
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8010 View Post
as i said before there is not alot of custom harvest done in our area so to get a true price that is why i asked. most of the guys in our are that do some custom work charge by the acre. trucking is always done by the per bushel rate. i have been told most guys around us that do any custom work charge anywhere from 28 to 30 dollars per acre. that does not include any trucking expense harvest only but there are no real custom harvest crews around us. the one quote of 50 dollars per acre seemed a little high to me just for harvest. but like i said there is not much done near us thank you
Give us a little more information to work with if you would. Field size, terrain, yield, mud, your ability to keep the corn away etc. It is hard to even throw a number out there without knowing some details. It is like asking what a steak costs; big difference between chopped steak and filet minon'.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

feild size ranges from 40 acres to 200 most are 80s but alot that are close by we usually start in one area and work our way to the next area. basically flat land very few uneven or hilly field. usually dry unless mother nature gets pissed off probably a 4 wheel drive would be best just in case. we are equipped to handle 25,000 bushel per day at bin site so we would not need multiple combines unless corn is dry as our dryer is limiting factor if corn is real wet. if corn is dry we can dump a 1,800 bushel load in around 15 minutes. depending on mother nature again corn yeild is 150to 200 bushel per acre. if she is in a bad mood during growing season yeilds could be 100 to 150 bushel per acre. i guess this pretty much covers it. what we are trying to weigh out is would it be better to hire it harvested or keep updating combines. one concern i would have with a custom harvester would be in a year like 2010 we shelled corn the earliest we have ever in 50 years of farming. what would happen if your custom guy is still in who knows were when you are ready to start a guy would hate to sit around and watch everyone else go while you are waiting. this was the concern we had with machinery link on leasing a combine. say we were able to start on october 1st and some guy in indiana had a late fall and our combine was not going to be here foo another 30 days. the same can happen the other way like 2009 corn was wetter than wet and we did not start until november21st. basically what we are doing is to see what other options are out there. i always was taught you will never know what the answer is if you dont ask the question. have a good day guys thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

That is the only reason I started combining myself. If you have to do it for one crop you might as well do all of them yourself. I had wheat sprout because he was 2 days late, I had IP soys harvested too early because he "was in the area" so on and so on....
andy8570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.