Best combine in soft/wet conditions - The Combine Forum

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Best combine in soft/wet conditions

Which combines are good in soft/wet ground and which are not?
What has been your experience?
The worst I`ve experienced was an old 2wd New Holland TR 95 with a 30 ft header and 30.5/32 bias tyres. It would go down like the titanic as soon as it even sniffed a soft spot.
The 2wd John Deere 9760 (35 ft draper) we had in the same field, quite strangely considering it`s increased weight, fared considerably better. Horsepower may have had a bit to do with that and maybe weight balance. Maybe the TR 95 had too much of it`s weight on the front axle?
I`ve been told that the older IH rotarys 1480-2388) are pretty good in soft conditions. Anyone agree with that?

Life is what happens to you while you`re busy making other plans.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lynas; 04-20-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I have worked with two R72's with clip on 18R38s on the outside of 30R32's and they just seemed to float over and through anything , one had RWA but never used it except when it wouldn't climb a contour bank in second gear

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I think i read somewhere that they did a test for combine floatation (tires not tracks) all had same tires and gleaner won by a fair shot.
I run old IH axial flows and they float pretty well but i would guess a class with tracks should float about the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
The 1400 series IH machines are very hard to beat then it's Gleaner time!

God Bless America
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I know our old MF 860 were awesome in wet, muddy conditions . Neighbour runs Lexion 760 with tracks and the stuff he goes through is amazing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
brand does not matter in mud. The only thing that matters is ground psi and traction. you can have a 2388 get stuck long before a 9230 if the 9230 has 1250 floaters with 750 rears and the old combine has some little bias ply tire. you might say one brand is better because of the way it is balanced, but really it is about the psi again. if a combine can put more of the weight on the bigger front tires, that is a lot less psi on the ground then if that same weight was on a skinny little rear tire. claas does well because tracks spread the weight so good = lower ground psi. horsepower may help if you are sinking, but if you can spread the weight better over the ground and not sink so much, you wont need as much horsepower in the first place.

**here**

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Gleaner is going to be one of the best in wet conditions, yes psi is a factor but when the combine weighs a lot less to start with its going to make a big difference, the older IH combines wouldn't be a lot different but all these new monsters are going to have more problems. I've run both a R62 and a CX 860 side by side and last year working along side a slough in peas the Gleaner could go right up to the edge of the field and turn and the CX 860 sank to the front axle. Neither had duals but the CX does have bigger tires than the Gleaner, the big difference is the weight.
gleaner-r76 likes this.

Nothing runs like a DEERE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, away from my AGCO.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
In 14 I covered a bunch of acres that was swallowing John Deere's with 1480's, not sure how much money I saved guys but it was alot.

The guy that hired us for most of the acres I covered said he penciled it out and our old IH's were exactly half the weight (heads on the combines) with the hoppers half full on the IH and empty on the Deere.
Now factor the distance of the header from the axle and the weight of the 40' draper vs the 30' 1010 and the weight on the front tire spikes in ways you can't imagine because as the weight goes up out front and further forward the more weight is transferred from the rear axle to the front.

Now here is the kicker, the old IH combines roll on 800's and s670 Deere's roll on 900's. It don't take much to see the footprint difference doesn't even cover the change in balance alone! The header weight and increased combine weight alone require dualed up 900's to maintain the same footprint.
bob123 and Madks like this.

God Bless America
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Nothing beats a combine on tracks when it comes to wet muddy ground. As far as track combines lexion has a good track system with lots of flotation.
SWMan likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I drove around the stuck 2588 with our old 1680 last fall ,it just kept going and going and going !!!

SWFarmService likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page