The Combine Forum banner

Any North Americans or Canadians looking for a seachange/holiday in Australia?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  newfarmac 
#1 · (Edited)
Are there any of you guys interested in a working holiday in Western Australia to broaden your ag knowledge and have a good time? I spent time working in the States some time ago and loved it. Thought maybe we could return the favour as we are looking for somebody to help with sowing the 2017 crop and the jobs that occur either side of it. Would be refreshing to have somebody enthusiastic and passionate about grain farming around the place. Ideally would be a March 1st start date and work through to around June 30. Could possibly be work for longer if it suited. I could quite easily find work for friends with other good farmers in the area if you wanted to travel with a friend or friends. Work would quialify you for a second year visa extension if that was desireable.

Just to be clear, we aren't looking for cheap labour. Prepared to pay full going rate based on experience. Will help fund the rest of your holiday ��

Reply here, PM me or email should be in profile

#4 ·
Man , this sure brings back memories for me. I worked for a custom harvester over the 1983-4. The main farm was by Kondinin (spelling?)WA. Roaded those Masseys up to Geraldton and worked our way back and all over. Some rain days were spent in bar called the Tarcoola Tavern in Geralton. We worked hard and played hard. Good way to see the world and grow up when your 21.:smiley-drinking-bee

#8 ·
I don't recall Three Springs, but I was running a MF 850, no gleaners on the outfit. The other headers were 860 & 3 - 760s.
We were heading inland a ways one day, and the radio station said it was 49 *C. My a/c was the last one to konk out in my header. So we stopped on the outskirts of a local town, (we slept in the caravans) some of the lingo is coming back to me now. The pub was air conditioned....was I ever thankful for that, We was planning on drinking there till closing time, thinking that might be 1:am or something. But I was very surprised when they closed at 10:pm and we had to finish the party back at the camp. I remember it was still hot in the morning and I was pretty thirsty.

#10 ·
I would buy PETA would get mad at me punching a Roo in the face.
That reminds me, we did go roo hunting from the back of a ute. It's probably politically incorrect to say that, but there was emus all over too, and those **** snakes everywhere. I hated unplugging the front of the combine, especially at night, cause you could see them slithering in the stubble and all I ever wore was shorts and flip flops it seemed.

#11 ·
Sounds like it would be a good way to see Australia. Get to do some fam work and be able to make some money to cover some expenses for trip. Kind of wish I would have done something like that 10 years ago, kind of hard to do it now when I have my own farm to run.

#12 ·
We seem to have a lot of Germans coming over for 6-24 months and making a real experience of it, usually with a few friends. Often they do seeding and harvest on the same farm, and travel during the quiet times in between. The local pubs certainly do well during the busy times as there are plenty of them around, it's great. It would be nice to add a bit of cultural diversity though with a few North Americans/Canadians. I think it would be great for younger guys in particular, before they get settled in with families of their own. Take 6-12 months and get to see another side of farming, broaden the old horizons. and have a good time to boot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.