Strunk Harvesting/custom harvest in general - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strunk Harvesting/custom harvest in general

Got a job with Strunk harvesting starting in mid april... not long to go
just wondering if there is anything harvester specific i should know, take do ect and also some major recommendations that you would suggest for international workers to get.

i have read the large thread on hte help forum, but things like phone plans for iphones and data for internet is not talked about ect, and for the aussies that have done it what would you guys suggest to take a well, vegemite and what else....

thanks guys
cusacm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as phones go, just get a pay as you go phone from Walmart, verizon probably the best coverage,and you can get cards with plans to call home cheap. Internet, most places you can drop onto a wifi, otherise a few of you may want to club together and get a wireless Dongle, you can get them that will handle about 4/5 computers, BUT they can be expensive and you have to sign up for a year, a webcam is a good thing if you have a laptop and talk via face book, found this to be the best why to talk to home, its done via skype so seems to work OK,and Free
I would not take loads of clothing as clothing is cheep in the US, at Walmart, you just really need to take stuff to keep you going for a month till you get your first pay check, boot, make sure they are new or mega clean as customs can be funny about Dirty boots, Id also bring coveralls as they are not easy to find good ones in the US, handy when blowing down and greasing in the morning, but can get very hot, but then you are clean sitting in your machine all day.
bedding some harvesters will provide this, but if they dont, its Walmart again,Id by proper bedding and 2 sets of sheets, sleeping bag for 7 months not great. take a camera and a BIG memory card, laptops work fine, my want to get a lead to change to there plug style.
Not worth taking big coats as you will not need them till the fall and then you may as well get a Carhartt in the US, they are sensible money.
Basically Walmart will be your friend when in the US, most stops you will do will have one near by
Have a fun summer, its one you will remember.

If you like your Marmite, best take some, same if you like real tea (not ice tea) but to be honest you are best to live as they do.
jdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Hey bro

I would suggest Condoms and Bundaberg, You cant get Bundy in the states.
ih4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys for the replies so walmart is my mate, good to know that one, most towns would have one in or close by them to go and restock.
thanks for the hint on boots i will will give mine a good clean before i go i dont want any hassles at customs, we were flying internal in the states a couple of years ago with a Vegemite jar and they wouldn't let us through because it was open i eventually told them that we were Aussie, they said prove so i did cant you tell by the accent and there like no, so i showed them my passport again to in an domestic airport.
and thanks for the hint on square bear i might a cheap one at customs on my way out of the country, being under 21 and heading to the states can you take alcohol into the country or just give it a big miss and leave the hassles at home.
being under 21 is there anything besides drinking that the usa government can exclude you from, like insurance for some sports, ect
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusacm View Post
Got a job with Strunk harvesting starting in mid april... not long to go
just wondering if there is anything harvester specific i should know, take do ect and also some major recommendations that you would suggest for international workers to get.

i have read the large thread on hte help forum, but things like phone plans for iphones and data for internet is not talked about ect, and for the aussies that have done it what would you guys suggest to take a well, vegemite and what else....

thanks guys
I know Mike Strunk.. They run a good operation mate and you will get to see a lot of country. Go with a good attitude and you'll love every minute of it.

P.S Queensland badly need Cooper back, and I even felt sorry for the Brumbies the other night...
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
I know Mike Strunk.. They run a good operation mate and you will get to see a lot of country. Go with a good attitude and you'll love every minute of it.

P.S Queensland badly need Cooper back, and I even felt sorry for the Brumbies the other night...
thanks mate, did u know a bloke than ran with him or just know him through the grape vine?
and yes you need cooper back but this new 10 for the reds has a got a far better quick for 3 points so you cant have it both ways. and the brumbies are doing alight they were written off expecting a whit was and to lose like that they should be proud that they got so close i reckon, the reds with top the Australian conference again this year though
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4life View Post
I would suggest Condoms and Bundaberg, You cant get Bundy in the states.
Worked with another Aussie in 04 on a harvest crew, he wises he took your tip on the condoms.

Madsnake
madsnake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsnake View Post
Worked with another Aussie in 04 on a harvest crew, he wises he took your tip on the condoms.

Madsnake
Old 03-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusacm View Post
thanks mate, did u know a bloke than ran with him or just know him through the grape vine?
and yes you need cooper back but this new 10 for the reds has a got a far better quick for 3 points so you cant have it both ways. and the brumbies are doing alight they were written off expecting a whit was and to lose like that they should be proud that they got so close i reckon, the reds with top the Australian conference again this year though
I'll message you later on tonight bud
Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.