wash bay in shop?? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wash bay in shop??

Working on new shop plans. I want a wash bay. Would you stud a wall and keep it out of the shop or have traps made that can be rolled up to the ceiling when not in use giving more shop floor space.
centralmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: wash bay in shop??

Just make sure that if the shop is smaller in size, that you have some sort of ventilation. Our indoors washbay is very nice, but with the power-washer using heat, it gets really steamy and you have to open the doors to be able to see anything after an extended period of time.
rother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We have a wash bay in our new shop. It is 30'x100' with 16' of clearance and a 25'x16' door in each end. The whole building is 110'x100'. The shop is 80'x100', and is separated by a wall from the wash bay. The wash bay is sheeted from floor to ceiling, and has a 4"x 60' long trench drain in the middle of it. We also have a 9'x9' roll up door that is between the wash bay and the shop, and 1 walk door. We wanted it separate to keep the steam out of the shop.
cowgirlchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

The best desing ive seen is heavy tarps that roll around the washbay on a track then out of the way for storage.

The Biggest issue with a washbay is moisture. That moisture is hard on everything in the shop which is why we didnt put one in our shop.
durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would agree with hf213. I don't have a wash bay but if I did it would be a separate building or a permanent wall. The curb around the bottom is a great idea and a must otherwise water is going to get past the steel and rot the insulation/wood.
Jason Hildebrand is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 32 x 60 wash bay lined with steel, steel lined ceiling, with 2 rows of 110 watt HO flourecent lights on the ceiling, then a string on the walls about 4 ft off the floor, the side lights plug into regular wall plugs, I used pvc electrical conduit to seal as much as possible. I have a 24 x 16 overhead door. I made my trough drain 15 in wide and 14 in deep and about 30ft long , with the top drain covers 17" x 1.5" deep. I made the drain covers 3/4" less than the recess of cement on the sides ( height is same as floor so creeper rolls over ) , so smaller dirt and water will drain easily. I can also use my drain to pull air down and make it a downdraft paint booth. I have one 36" std walkdoor, and one double 36" doors, so that I can move items on pallets back and forth from my washbay and main workshop. I have a 36" livestock fan located between both shops to ventilate either side. I love my wash and paint bay, and I am glad I made it a permanent wall instead of a tarp. I have floor heat and just love it as well. I farm and am an independant mechanic and fabricator, so I use my shop hard everyday ! I also built my "stick" building on a 12" concrete wall so the water puddling is not a problem around the posts, but with the floor heat, it dries p very quickly any way, plus I have my grade at 1" per 10 ft from the drain, it pracically drains itself without squeegee. The only thing I would possibly change would be making the double doors higher, do I could run my forklift through. I have a hot water steam cleaner and use it everyday, sometimes all day when washing combines, it can get a little foggy sometimes if I do not run the fan. When I paint I open the far single walkdoor, and pull warm clean air from the main shop, and then use the exhaust fan to rid the fumes and mist, then they pass thru a water spray over a furnace filter to eliminate chance of paint mist on the outside of my building. I also use a air recirculator ( homemade ) when paintiing in severe cold, to keep heat in.
hf213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

hf213 Can I get more info about how you made your water filter. I also do a lot of painting.
centralmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

On my exhaust system the fan ductwork is near the ceiling, and on the outside of the building I have a framed ductwork , made from the same sheetmetal and trim as my building that goes from the fan to about 2 ft ( 3ft counting from the cement wall) of bottom of the building, this ductwork measures 2 ft by 3 ft and about 16 ft long ( I have 18ft ceilings ) then there is a door that I can remotely open up to let exhaust out, and about 1 ft up inside I have a 1/2" pvc pipe ( use schedule 80 its thicker and easier to tap ) I put 4 fine mist sprayer nozzles and spray that against furnace filters, the pipe is then hooked to a garden hose and turned on whenever I need to paint and so the water mist shoots to the furnace filters, the mist is caught by the filters as the fan pushes the "dirty" air through the water mist, thus keeping the outside of my building spraymist free. It does not work too bad, the only problem I have is that my exhaust is on the southside of building and on very severe windy days I can get some "backturbulance" if you will, and I could remedy this by changing how my bottom door hinges. I do not use the water to filter diesel smoke, for me its not necessary. I am still working on changing some ductwork for my downdraft air control, I need to install a pressurizer fan, so that my suction fan will work better, but it is amazing how clean it keeps the shop !!!! and how much less dirt and nibs shop up in the paint jobs, especially on hoods, fenders and pieces that show. I use PPG paint mostly, and usually the Concept clears, and its expensive but very durable, sandable and buffable for my showpieces, downdraft is defintely the way to go if you can !. hope this helps.
hf213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.