The Combine Forum banner

LED light fixtures in the shop

31K views 105 replies 35 participants last post by  jh35 
#1 ·
Hi

Has anyone installed the LED T8 tube conversion lights in their shop? I am looking to do that this winter.

Thanks in advance

#9 ·
No it was some guys at the Red Deer Farm show a couple weeks ago. They are based out of Red Deer I think. This is the website Home He said they would ship any where best to check with them and confirm pricing but I remember was less then i'd seen else where locally. Online they are cheaper too say on amazon but shipping may make it expensive Ledwholesalers 20 Watt 4 foot T8 T12 LED Tube Lights with 2835 SMD LED, 45W Fluorescent Tube Replacement, UL Approved, White, 1923WH: Amazon.ca: Office Products I have been looking into getting some too for some old T-12 fixtures in the shop.

#10 ·
We installed LED tubes in our 48' x 60' shop and it was well worth the money. They are super bright and it is much nicer to work on equipment now. Not sure how much energy we are saving but we would do it again in a heartbeat. We bought ours from a guy by Yorkton 306-620-9566 and the 8’ tubes were $70 each.

#12 ·
I actually just put 12 in the shop this week, just pull out the old ballast and wire the fixture to 110. I got them off of amazon 50watt output/24 watt bulbs. 5500-6000 KV delivered to my door for $25/bulb all in. They are many different specs/brands of LED bulbs out there to choose from. They are a whole lot brighter then my old T-12's that's for sure! I have a total of 12 2 lamp T-12 fixtures with 6 per circuit. I just replaced the lamps on the one circuit so it's easy to compare which is brighter. They do come on nice and bright right away when the shop is cold which is nice.

I have another bay beside the shop with t-8's and they are nice and bright too. As a t-12 replacement these LED's seem pretty good but at the current pricing I wouldn't spend the money on them to replace my T-8's.

I also checked the amp draw from these new 12 led bulbs at the circuit panel and the meter said about 1/2 of what the 12 florescent bulbs where drawing.

#13 ·
Check out LED Bulbs | Interlake Resources Inc. Toll Free: 800-563-5055 "Your Lighting Experts". They are located in Nipiwan, Sk. I have bought a ton of lights there. This past summer I got these 60W cornrow LED's that just thread into the existing lightsocket where I had some 100/200W Hallogens and all I can say is wow. Easily 4X the light of the halogens, more useful bright white light, less power, and install was as easy as changing light bulb. I got around 30 of them for 2 cold storage sheds. I also bought their 4ft, 6 tube LED fixtures for my Quonset/shop. Haven't installed them yet but after getting the cornrow lights I kind of wish I would have just bought more of those. Interlake has been good to deal with and stand behind the products they sell. I'm sure if you ordered a bunch of lights you could get a package deal.....

#106 ·
I put (4) of these 100 watt units in my 40' x 40' shop in addition to the (2) 400w metal halides that I have in there. It lights up pretty good now. 16' ceIlings. We will see how long they last. I also put (2) of them in the wife's horse barn. I am not a BTO and have a day job so they won't get as much use as some of you, but I'm happy with them right now.

Jeff

#15 ·
I just changed out 30 of the retrofit 8 ft led tubes in my shop from Interlake resources and wow are they bright and very easy to change over. Take out the ballest and a live and 1 end and a ground on the other end and your done. I'm not even half done changing them over yet and it's way brighter in my shop and it ever was before.

#17 ·
Guys, thanks for motivating me to finally install the LED conversion tubes I got from Interlake over a year ago.:eek:

After the first one was installed the shop is noticeably brighter and it took less than 15 min to do it. Second fixture likely will take half that time. My fixtures seem to orient the bulb so the LED's are pointed sideways but after they are all in I doubt it would matter anyways. I attached a pic with one installed, not sure it will really show it but a nice bright white light.:)

Attachments

#19 ·
I bought some more LED replacements off Amazon. First I bought 12 of the 50watt tubes @ $25 each shipped to my door. Those worked so good I bought another 6 of the 70 watt tubes those were a bit more 28.50 a tube. But boy they are bright, I joked with the kid the other day to cover his eyes when I turned them on lol!. The big difference is I guess that I had old T12's and when the shop is cool in the morning they are not very bright, if its cold they don't even like to start. Now its instant bright light when you flick the switch.

#21 ·
I am live in the China Lighting Center-Guzhen, Have anybody been there? It is a really good place to buy Lighting, I am not professional in T8 Tubes, but I can recommend some nice residential lighting design, such as brass chandelier, brass wall lamp, brass table lamp, brass wall sconce, you can see these designs on my signature or google Master Lu Lighting

#22 ·
Put in five t8 8 tube fixtures a few years back in 70x170 outside shed.. Was reluctant off the start because of cold temps threw winter, but they all have worked fine, and dam is it bright.. Power use is also very low compared to others.. Cost was 200 a fixture and five dollars a tube, can be ran in a few different methods for your power supply... Three years later still happy with them over all

#24 ·
#26 ·
Just did a small school were I am on the board. Huge improvement. Thinking of having our skylights removed now as they can tend to leak over the years. Can not tell they are there now.

I have been looking at these ones. About $20 per bulb, free shipping. Probably find them cheaper by now. Have not looked much in a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.