Albino Skunks - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Albino Skunks

Just got through killing 2 baby Albino skunks, a neighbor phoned and wanted me to see some strange white animal. When I got there, a single baby albino skunk was crossing her yard.. Got a gun, by that time it had got under a small tool shed. long story short, lifted the shed and shot 4 black and whites along with 2 Albinos all babies no adults around.. What are the chances, anyone know anything about albinos in the wild. Thanks...Neil
northernfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Albino Skunks

forgot: an adult albino skunk was killed and mounted 3 years ago... these babies will be mounted and will join the adult in our local museum.. Neil
Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have some pics? That's quite something.

Thanks Martin
thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

sorry no pics, I'll see if I can get some of them after they are mounted.. A skunk is a skunk regardless of what color it is.. They are carriers of rabies, thye are not a protected, and we are encouraged to kill them and send their brains in for testinng for rabies..... Yes they albinos are a rare but concidering we have 3 killed in our little area maybe they aren't as rare as first thought... But it wouldn't surprise me if tree huggers could come up with a reason to let them live and spread rabies...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

True albino, pink eyes and skin, they look scruffy, the fur doesn't seem to be as thick or the light skin color gives them the look of thin fur. the tail isn't as bushy either... was told that albinos can't reproduce.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:I would be very careful in shooting albino anything. There are a lot of random and odd animal protection laws out there and I could definitely see one of them protecting albino animals because of their rarity.

I agree with you in full, Isujakey. No one here probably knows about such laws more than I do, a long-time taxidermist, myself. However, albinism and leucism are nothing more than mere color morphs or aberrations within a like species. Sometimes, a mere sub-species gets overrated protection when in fact, it is also only a rare color morph, rather than an exact species deserving full protection. Such aberrations come and go with nature.

Had the 2 kits not been sent off to the museum for preservation/display with the existing mounted adult of the same, I'd have had my own opposition to the killings, simply based on the fact that the kits ARE only babies, and should be left to live. Even so, skunks survive by their senses as well as defensive devices, but albinos of any species usually are not granted long life in the wild simply due to their inherent poorer vision and hearing as well as lack of total camouflage.
combiness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.