Japan's Nuclear Reactors - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Japan's Nuclear Reactors

Found a good article here breaking down what happened at the plants when the earthquake hit, the safeties in place and what is happening now.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation BraveNewClimate

Eastern Ontario, God's Urinal.
post #2 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
farmerleach

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This is a really unfortunate situation. I hope and pray for the best for all the Japanese families that have lost someone or everything in these last few days. That is a good article I have been finding the BBC's coverage a little better than CNN's.

It makes me really glad I don't live in a earthquake prone area. I think I'll take the cold and snow in exchange.

post #3 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
that was interesting reading
post #4 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM

I don't understand why after 40+ years in existance and use, we still havn't figured out how to prevent or protect from reactor core meltdowns rresulting in containment breakdown and uncontrolled radiation releases..

Someone needs a swift kick in the azz for not figuring out a solution to a problem that has been associated with nuc power plants from the beginning UNCONTROLLED REACTOR CORE MELTDOWN. This deal probably will significantly delay the 20 or so new nuc plants on the drawingboards right now, maybe even worse. Why would anyone want to live within 25 miles of one of these things? WHY NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM? I hate cheap bandaids masking the basic problem.
post #5 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

greenpower, I'm pretty sure those reactors ARE 40 year old designs. The newer ones are more efficient and safe.

post #6 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishstik View Post
greenpower, I'm pretty sure those reactors ARE 40 year old designs. The newer ones are more efficient and safe.
And there is only new ones in north america?Dream on.Thats what the nuclear lobby tells you...I am sure they have a solution for the nuclear waste as well,and i mean not for the current generation,i am talking about future generations?
When the first nuclear power plants were build,the calculated risk of a major failure was once in 100 000 years...It happened three times already in my lifetime !!!The actual reaon that those japanese reactors failed was not age or anything design related,it was simply the lack of electric power that runs the cooling system,and the emergency generators didnt kick in,the author tells us the plugs didnt fit???A high tech nation like Japan is not able to change a couple plugs???What an offense!Failure in the electric power supply system has happned more than once in the past for different reasons all over the world,it doesnt take an earthquake to cause that.I am from germany,and i still can remember when the reactor in russia blew up and contaminated large areas in europe.Its about time to change and learn from mistakes.There is other energy sources,and the good thing is,lots of em will help farmers to make more money!Just have a look to germany where over 4000! biogas reactors where build in the last couple years,and farmers make good money with them and they get lots of money for "windmills" on their fields,Germany will be able to shut the nuclear power plants down in the next 10 years.17% of the electric power there comes already from renewable energies.
If Japan,one of the highest developed societies in the world cant handle nuclear power,who can???

Last edited by jaydee; 03-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
post #7 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

And what is your solution for renewable energy for a densely populated island like Japan? Biomass is out of the question and even wind power only contributes to 1.6% of Germany's energy use.

How would wind turbines fare in a earth quake, tsunami or the more frequent cyclones they have?

post #8 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Don't even start about wind power, what a joke.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/03/05/lawrence-solomon-don%E2%80%99t-count-on-constant-electricity-under-renewable-energy-says-uk-electricity-ceo/

Lawrence Solomon, in the NP:
Wind-based power systems are necessary to meet the government’s targets, (Steve Holiday, CEO of the UK's National Grid) has explained, but they will require lifestyle changes.
Not that these required lifestyle changes will be enforced by the wind-based power systems per se:
Under the so-called “smart grid” that the UK is developing, the government-regulated utility will be able to decide when and where power should be delivered, to ensure that it meets the highest social purpose. Governments may, for example, decide that the needs of key industries take precedence over others, or that the needs of industry trump that of residential consumers. Governments would also be able to price power prohibitively if it is used for non-essential purposes.

post #9 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishstik View Post
And what is your solution for renewable energy for a densely populated island like Japan? Biomass is out of the question and even wind power only contributes to 1.6% of Germany's energy use.

How would wind turbines fare in a earth quake, tsunami or the more frequent cyclones they have?
Oh yeah,tell that those people who get contaminated with radiation!
How do nuclear power plants fare in earth quake or tsunami?
There is wind,water and sun,thats all it takes in the near future.And if you ever go to germany,you will find out that its pretty dense populated as well.

Last edited by jaydee; 03-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.
post #10 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyred View Post
Don't even start about wind power, what a joke.

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/03/05/lawrence-solomon-don%E2%80%99t-count-on-constant-electricity-under-renewable-energy-says-uk-electricity-ceo/

Lawrence Solomon, in the NP:
Wind-based power systems are necessary to meet the government’s targets, (Steve Holiday, CEO of the UK's National Grid) has explained, but they will require lifestyle changes.
Not that these required lifestyle changes will be enforced by the wind-based power systems per se:
Under the so-called “smart grid” that the UK is developing, the government-regulated utility will be able to decide when and where power should be delivered, to ensure that it meets the highest social purpose. Governments may, for example, decide that the needs of key industries take precedence over others, or that the needs of industry trump that of residential consumers. Governments would also be able to price power prohibitively if it is used for non-essential purposes.

Why is windpower a joke?Ever heard about off shore windparks?BTW I am not saying that wind power is the only alternative power source,as mentioned above,there is water,sun,there is biomass.Its the combination of all natural sources that will makes the system work some day in the near future,together with highly efficient applications,and there is lots of opportunities for farmers to deliver energy and not only food.Its easy to sit somewhere else and feel safe right now,would like to hear your opinion if you live close to a reactor that blew up and you get contaminated...but hey:At least you had cheap power,right,and let your children and their children deal with the mess you left!

Last edited by jaydee; 03-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page