Climate change - Page 11 - The Combine Forum

455Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This is just another FCUKING pissing contest.

post #102 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
No matter how you spin it the fact remains that fossil fuels are limited, its why they call them non renewable. Maybe the better question to ask is what is our responsibility for future generations while we live in a time of simple, practically free energy to come up with effective ways of renewable and/or non limited energy methods.

Can't help but think about that sitting here at the dryer burning propane and using tons of electricity drying for days while realizing an afternoon of sun and wind can dry all of western Canada's canola crop - millions of tons - in a few hours.

Or do we just say screw the future, I loves me Escalade, mass starvation and freezing to death is their problem?
I've always wondered what alternatives we have to drying grain in a propane or natural gas dryer, not too many other options either. Electric would almost require you to have a crapload of solar panels or wind mills or both, and neither are 100% reliable either to produce. (Much like the weather patterns that got you guys into that mess in the first place.) Some guy in the area tried using a kind of wood stove to dry corn in an aeration bin, but hooked it up wrong and smoked the corn. (It turned green...) Might work but who wants to make firewood all winter? Could use crop biomass but that is about as bad as putting a match to a field in the long run. Guess you could use a methane digester but that only cycles carbon, true they would reduce manure down to a nutrient soup and get rid of the methane and odor but for full efficiency they would need to be fed silage and such, still not a great alternative if you plan on building a lot of soil OM.

Down in the corn belt part of the world that dryer runs from the start of corn harvest till the end most years, only a rare handful of years that it doesn't do a lot. Can't really avoid drying but don't know how well all the alternatives are going to replace propane or natural gas once that becomes too expensive. Can't leave the crop sit either as it head shells like crazy once it gets down to 14% and also will break over or drop ears.

post #103 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
jvw

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
No matter how you spin it the fact remains that fossil fuels are limited, its why they call them non renewable. Maybe the better question to ask is what is our responsibility for future generations while we live in a time of simple, practically free energy to come up with effective ways of renewable and/or non limited energy methods.

Can't help but think about that sitting here at the dryer burning propane and using tons of electricity drying for days while realizing an afternoon of sun and wind can dry all of western Canada's canola crop - millions of tons - in a few hours.

Or do we just say screw the future, I loves me Escalade, mass starvation and freezing to death is their problem?
Very well said, and echoes my thoughts on a daily basis, especially the practically free part. As I've said before, there are a multitude of scientifically proven reasons why we should curtail our wanton use of fossil fuels, but emitting plant food(proven science) and possibly improving the climate in the middle of a glacial epoch (unproven, but at least I can hope) are not two of the reasons.

And no, I'm not an uneducated farmer hick, I have an engineering degree, and read/study everything I can on the subject, both side of the issue. As they say, hope for the best, plan for the worst. So I look for evidence to support my hope that global warming is real and farming in this cold northerly latitude is viable, and I also research the possibility and implications that the opposite is true so I can plan for cooling if that is true. I must be a pessimist, because after all this research, I have serious doubts that AGW is going to save us.
post #104 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:02 PM
NVW

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Is that a fact or............https://anticorruptionsociety.com/an...-is-renewable/

Question (actually 2). IF carbon based energy is, in fact a "fossil fuel", then why is it being found at depths of 40,000 feet, far deeper that any surface dwelling life ever lived, and 2 - IF carbon based energy IS a "Fossil fuel" where did it collect all of it's stored carbon from?.

Another source Oil Peak is a lie! It's not a "fossil fuel". - YouTube
The Russians have found oil at those depths.

My oldest brother drilled all over the world from the 60's to the 80's, engineers told him around 80 there were 10 years of oil left.

Leo
post #105 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 PM
jvw

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I spoken to a number of Russian petroleum engineers and geologists they don't believe in abiotic oil. Apparently this is only believed by the western Media that Russians believe this. Their exploration methods are still based on the biotic origins of oil theory. At least in recent times.
BrianTee likes this.
post #106 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
This is just another FCUKING pissing contest.

You did see the title, before you posted, didn't you?

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #107 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Regardless of climate change or what ever you might call it, I'm not sure why anyone has the right to pollute the air, the water or even the earth on this planet. There needs to be a price to pay for this. We can bury our heads in the sand if we want, as it won't be us that has to live with what we have done and what if we are wrong when we deny this is happening. Just what if. I see nothing wrong by trying to clean up our mess. We solve lots of other problems along the way. We have built an industrial society based on fossil fuels and I am a big part of the problem but we could at least try to do it better down the road. Change is hard.
krawler, SWMan and Ridge like this.
post #108 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchraefel View Post
Regardless of climate change or what ever you might call it, I'm not sure why anyone has the right to pollute the air, the water or even the earth on this planet. There needs to be a price to pay for this. We can bury our heads in the sand if we want, as it won't be us that has to live with what we have done and what if we are wrong when we deny this is happening. Just what if. I see nothing wrong by trying to clean up our mess. We solve lots of other problems along the way. We have built an industrial society based on fossil fuels and I am a big part of the problem but we could at least try to do it better down the road. Change is hard.
True. However, this discussion is regarding CO2 causing global warming. It has NOTHING to do with "pollution" (CO2 is NOT a pollutant). That's a whole 'nother subject.
lynas and NVW like this.
post #109 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
True. However, this discussion is regarding CO2 causing global warming. It has NOTHING to do with "pollution" (CO2 is NOT a pollutant). That's a whole 'nother subject.
...and if any Govt was genuinely serious about stopping pollution, they would put a stop to Globalization and the consumer capitalism system of moving product, inherent in all western economies, which was a system developed by the U.S. in the 1850`s to adjust consumer mindset from buying based on "needs" to spending based on "wants" But alas...
NVW likes this.

Life is what happens to you while you`re busy making other plans.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lynas; 12-03-2016 at 05:15 AM.
post #110 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Pollution is an entirely different topic but probably a much better target for societies efforts than CO2 emissions.

Look at cars these days with 3 year leases and think about the pollution created by getting another new vehicle every 3 years whether you drive 5,000 or 25,000 km per year. Look at all the crap crammed into a car these days that causes pollution to manufacture. Can you even get a mid range vehicle without A/C? Can you take a $3000 price reduction by selecting your preferred trim package less air conditioning so you can save the environment? Look at the miles of wiring to build a car now. And then the owner punts it down the road in 3 years.

And how about the guys with a second home. You are going to charge him for co2 emissions on energy used but what about the pollution created in the life cycle of building, maintaining and demolishing/disposing of the house or the real estate bulldozed to build it and infrastructure to bring power, gas, water and take away sewage. There is a lot of pollution and environmental impact in this lifecycle but the government thinks charging for co2 on electricity used is the best way to protect the environment.

So yes, pollution is a big deal but government says taxing to slay the co2 dragon is what is important. Consume and throw away what ever you want as long as you pay your carbon tax on fuel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page