Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Three Hills/Trochu, Alberta, Canada
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2908 Post(s)
Early observations of a Ford 2017 F150
Well, I've got a little less than two hours seat time in now, it will be interesting to compare how I feel in a month when I likely will have about 8000 km.
The usual fair amount of learning curve material and it's all been in the dark so far, although some features operate similar to the 2012's.
-Power foot boards at least twice as fast in action.
-Seating comfort better, both door armrest and center console armrest are considerably higher, the distance from armrests to steering wheel much more GM ish for single hand steering control. I run seats as low as they'll go in both trucks so a fair comparison.
- Steering very light and easy compared to non electric 6.2 engine power steering on the 12.
- Door pillar keypad marginally handier.
-Auto dimming headlights, where have you been all my life, fabulous feature!
The usual, not perfect, it dimmed for intersection lights in a rural area, the lights run bright much more than I would normally remember to brighten and it never doesn't dim when it should, don't know how it figures out how to dim for tail lights but it does it well, I suspect weather conditions will affect and it was ice cystals/light snow last night. There is no adjustment for sensitivity.
- Turn signal/headlight control stalk far better. Ford lost that non detenting turn signal stalk, it won't be missed. Headlight control better thought out too, back for dim/flash to pass, forward will switch to the opposite of whatever it's on.
LED highlights very bright.
Instrument dim/bright control and indication vastly better.
- Adaptive cruise useful and neat, however it's idea of the furthest behind a vehicle setting offered and mine of riding somebody's ass is the same distance.
- Truck is quiet and thanks Stevie for the "V8" bogus sound disable advise.
- By far the hardest accelerating pickup I've ever driven.
- 10 speed auto basically glass smooth although think I actually felt a couple of coast down downshifts.
- Windshield washers 4 spigot now, more through coverage and sloppy after streaks are gone.
- Zero bogus alarms, yah! Auto door locks and seat belt alarm disabled (procedure still in manual!), there is no key buzzer with the fob/start stop button system. Which is a much faster and slick system.
- I have no radio stations programmed yet and the dials delayed station change action is really stupid!
Nothing to do with the truck but I swapped my summer tires back on my 12 and drove Three Hills/Red Deer so as to put the ice radials on the 17, absolutely terrorizing by comparison!
Anyone want those pos 285-45R/22 tires and wheels with 238 km on them?
Huh, guess I'm not really good at this sales thing, lol!
Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
Last edited by Don Boles; 01-07-2017 at 10:48 AM.