Not so early observations of a Ford 2017 F150 - The Combine Forum

101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2961 Post(s)
Not so early observations of a Ford 2017 F150

Well, I've got a little less than two hours seat time in now, it will be interesting to compare how I feel in a month when I likely will have about 8000 km.

The usual fair amount of learning curve material and it's all been in the dark so far, although some features operate similar to the 2012's.

-Power foot boards at least twice as fast in action.
-Seating comfort better, both door armrest and center console armrest are considerably higher, the distance from armrests to steering wheel much more GM ish for single hand steering control. I run seats as low as they'll go in both trucks so a fair comparison.
- Steering very light and easy compared to non electric 6.2 engine power steering on the 12.
- Door pillar keypad marginally handier.
-Auto dimming headlights, where have you been all my life, fabulous feature!
The usual, not perfect, it dimmed for intersection lights in a rural area, the lights run bright much more than I would normally remember to brighten and it never doesn't dim when it should, don't know how it figures out how to dim for tail lights but it does it well, I suspect weather conditions will affect and it was ice cystals/light snow last night. There is no adjustment for sensitivity.
- Turn signal/headlight control stalk far better. Ford lost that non detenting turn signal stalk, it won't be missed. Headlight control better thought out too, back for dim/flash to pass, forward will switch to the opposite of whatever it's on.
LED highlights very bright.
Instrument dim/bright control and indication vastly better.
- Adaptive cruise useful and neat, however it's idea of the furthest behind a vehicle setting offered and mine of riding somebody's ass is the same distance.
- Truck is quiet and thanks Stevie for the "V8" bogus sound disable advise.
- By far the hardest accelerating pickup I've ever driven.
- 10 speed auto basically glass smooth although think I actually felt a couple of coast down downshifts.
- Windshield washers 4 spigot now, more through coverage and sloppy after streaks are gone.
- Zero bogus alarms, yah! Auto door locks and seat belt alarm disabled (procedure still in manual!), there is no key buzzer with the fob/start stop button system. Which is a much faster and slick system.
- I have no radio stations programmed yet and the dials delayed station change action is really stupid!

Nothing to do with the truck but I swapped my summer tires back on my 12 and drove Three Hills/Red Deer so as to put the ice radials on the 17, absolutely terrorizing by comparison!
Anyone want those pos 285-45R/22 tires and wheels with 238 km on them?
Huh, guess I'm not really good at this sales thing, lol!

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.

Last edited by Don Boles; 01-07-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #2 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
We have a 2015..F150 Lariat..Love it..
Got the 5.0 liter..MPG is awesome..Power..love that sound when you pin it..Feel like a kid again..

Which engine did you get?

post #3 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partners View Post
Which engine did you get?
Next gen 3.5 Ecoboost/10 speed auto combo.
Fuel use too early to tell.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #4 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Cool..what is the RPM at 100 kms?
The 5.0 is 1650. with 6 spd tranny..
post #5 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
HI!

About 1500. 3.55 axle.
jcalder and SWFarmService like this.

post #6 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Which color? Ours is Magnetic..
jcalder likes this.
post #7 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Which is what I would have ordered if I had.
White gold, new colour for 17 apparently.
This truck was just a lot lizard though.

Oh, Ford Pass is pathetic so far, something about it needing 24 hours though, I'll believe it when I see it!

Last edited by Don Boles; 01-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.
post #8 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Adaptive cruise

It works great and there are 4 distance settings. The closest distance is 1 second behind the vehicle in front and the farthest distance is 2.2 seconds behind. Each setting is 0.4 seconds different (1.0, 1.4, 1.8, 2.2).

(It's in the manual. I didn't time it)

From a forum. So at 50 mph you would be less than 200 feet. They need 5 to 10 seconds for crop checking. For car wars on the 4 lane 2.2 will let 3 cars in front of you

I think the time is extended in tow function
post #9 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Glad you like it so far, please report back after some extra mileage is put on. We have an Expedition with the ecoboost and it is leaps-and-bounds ahead of the 5.4 liter it replaced in every way except ease of oil change. Really nice vehicle to drive. Only thing I don't like is if it is running and I leave the vehicle with key fob(to get mail or whatever) it honks at me. Can be a little awkward when the person on the sidewalk thinks you are honking at them...
jcalder likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #10 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Our 16 f150 met a semi that hit a pot hole and buck shot our windshield....or so we thought. On closer inspection there were dints lots of them. 6000$ repair on a Brand new truck. That aluminum body might be ok on a city or a grocery getter but it's not a good work/gravel road Truck body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page