Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Tire Pressure for Light Tires

https://toyotires-1524598101.netdna-...s_20170203.pdf

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3079 Post(s)
Thanks for making my case for lowering tire pressure alarms Stevie!
My currently installed 275/55R20 113 (111 on your chart but that wouldn't affect minimums) and the tire load weights put it below the bottom 26 psi on the chart even on the front heaviest wheel position.
Not sure anyone but you and I care about this but the improved ride and incredible traction the currently installed ice radials have by reducing pressures under the alarm levels is amazing.
Additionally, tires will wear best at the ideal load/pressure settings.

Good stuff Stevie, I'm going to guess these pics had stuck in your mind:

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.

Last edited by Don Boles; 03-07-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Pics
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
That's awesome! You just ignore the alarm? I am going to lower mine today. Thanks for this. I have been on a rant lately about tire pressure. Never have we run above 28psi with no load on a half ton. Now it seems we have to have 35. We put winter tires on a new sierra and the thing has turned in to a back breaker. Was saying that I would be going back to a 150 if this is what a GMC is like but I don't remember it being this rough before these tires. The tire shop guy wouldn't inflate less than the sticker on the door but I will!
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchraefel View Post
That's awesome! You just ignore the alarm? I am going to lower mine today. Thanks for this. I have been on a rant lately about tire pressure. Never have we run above 28psi with no load on a half ton. Now it seems we have to have 35. We put winter tires on a new sierra and the thing has turned in to a back breaker. Was saying that I would be going back to a 150 if this is what a GMC is like but I don't remember it being this rough before these tires. The tire shop guy wouldn't inflate less than the sticker on the door but I will!
Exactly!
But keep a few things in mind:
1. My truck is just a glorified grocery hauler, as in a week at a time for two
2. The pressure pic you see was taken Arizona, not much -30 action there and you can lose 4 psi due to simple temperature change
3. Just checked my cold soaked truck in a +10 garage, it's 30/25 f/r, that is more what I recommend due to above factors
4. Ford changed tire pressure wheel sensors for '17, they are very accurate and interesting to watch, you can even see a difference if travelling E/W steady you can get a 5 kpa higher sunny side. By the way, it's more accurate on kpa, finer increment but don't brother changing from whatever you are use to (read psi, lol)
Getting rid of splash warning on instrument panel is a one button push every time power cycled, pita but a worth it one.
Wish you could lower it to about 20 psi.
5. If wrong I'll edit but I think my truck, full fuel and me is 860 F 680 R kg.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.

Last edited by Don Boles; 03-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Just to highlight page 11 of Steves link, that red typed warning explains why the standard LT type tires shouldn't be run at lower pressures ( the flotation sizes can though ) so that makes for a problem to some degree when LT tires are placed on a light truck with no load.

CSchraefel, the winter tires you put on your Sierra, are they P rated tires by chance because if they are, for sure with little load in your truck if the tire size and load rating number are up there high enough then I can't see why you should need 35 lb but I know, the shops error on the high side because they see so many who never check their tires and over time go low so I can't blame them for trying to look out for peoples safety.

Reminds me of my now old chev pickup when I drove it out of the dealers lot after they had done their pre inspection, I thought dam this thing sure seems to ride rough ( it has the LT 265/75 R16 ) so when I got home and the tires were cool I check and they had them jacked up to 45 lb. I lowered them to 36 and what a difference that made, and never made sense why they boosted the pressures up like that but I expect it wasn't the brains of the operation that performed that task.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
I expect it wasn't the brains of the operation that performed that task.

This is how the pressure was checked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trucklift.jpg (43.4 KB, 60 views)
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
I expect it wasn't the brains of the operation that performed that task.
No matter who inflates tires in tire shops they will be at door post pressure reguardless who does it unless otherwise requested.
Addtionally, gauges in tire shops are not to be trusted.
I once asked, "What did you put in for pressure?", went home, allowed room temp soaking, no sun, the already way too high stated 35 was actually 41 to 44 on an accurate liquid filled dial gauge held level.

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Isn't that chart just for the guys who put car tires on their trucks? Maybe you guys should just buy car's?
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Page 7 of the attachment, bottom of the page in red: "WARNING: never use an inflation pressure lower lower than what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer." That is why you will find that shops are reluctant to under-inflate your tires to suit your tastes. By all means, make an educated and informed decision to deviate from the recommended pressure, but not on a whim and a guess. I love documentation, manuals like this with recommended procedures and pressures are a lovely asset to have when making tire choices and inflation pressure decisions. Years ago, the first automotive shop I worked at (after leaving the family business), I had a run-in with the shop foreman. Well, several, actually. The first was when he said, "The way I see it, tire manufacturers make tires, and car makers make cars." That was when he was filling the tires up to the max inflation pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire, as opposed to the recommended pressure on the decal. Ummm, okay.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. (403)556-2210
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Isn't that chart just for the guys who put car tires on their trucks? Maybe you guys should just buy car's?
Because...
Occassionly I do something with my truck you can not do with a car and...you can not get anything but P tires on a 150. Nor would I want them.
Next idea?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page