Where to get cheap tires? - The Combine Forum

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Where to get cheap tires?

I just walked in my shop for the first time today and seen my Steiger was leaning over..... when I got a little closer I discovered this!

You would sware it had a 100# in it the way it blew, I had a hand air up the tires the other day to 14 on the outside and 16 on the inside, I checked the rest of the tires and he was one pound above what I asked him to put in all of them. It even ruined the inside tire.

I was planning on running these tires until summer to give me a chance to shop around and see what cheap tires are ok.
I found these BKT's, continentals and a few others and there seems to be large price variances from place to place but shipping could change that? Who knows...

I am figuring on 100-150 hours a year on this tractor so it don't need to be anything special by no means but I want radials.

Anyone got a best kept secret?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170416_195848.jpg (610.8 KB, 403 views)

God Bless America
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
I'd say that's a cheap tire right there! Holy $hit that's crazy! Never seen anything like that happen before, just lucky no one was near it when it went off!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
One would think that tire had a major flaw in the bead or that the cable was rusted internally from calcium etc and even looks like the bead split apart in other places along it as well, is that a titan tire ? Check and see if the spot where it failed happens to be where the bead breaker wedge mold is located.
tbone95 and SWFarmService like this.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I work in a tire shop and I've never seen that before, definitely could have killed someone if they were standing nearby.

When I was looking for tires last year I found a place called Twin Valley tire in Millbank, SD. Not sure how far away that is from you but they seemed to have pretty reasonable prices compared to stuff we get up here in Canada
SWFarmService likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
One would think that tire had a major flaw in the bead or that the cable was rusted internally from calcium etc and even looks like the bead split apart in other places along it as well, is that a titan tire ? Check and see if the spot where it failed happens to be where the bead breaker wedge mold is located.
Bingo! It's a Titan and only God knows how long it's been on there
It was the bead that failed but not from rust, looking at it I don't see damage that it was run flat, there is no rust and no chloride in these tires either
It looks the wires were failing on the bead

I followed where it broke and it's not close to the bead break spot either.

It really shook the dirt off of the tractor, no doubt in my mind someone would have been dead if close to that tire. Still looks to me like it had too much air with how it knocked the tire beside it off the bead but the way it blew I bet it made a heII of a shock wave! But there is a table right next to the tire and it never moved anything off of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1492397727091-1547733249.jpg (378.1 KB, 347 views)

God Bless America
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Garage
Holy crap I've heard of that happening but never have seenough it. You are lucky you aren't heading to your own funeral.
V876 and SWFarmService like this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Hard to say then if there was force applied to that spot which damaged the wires long ago, I see a patch on the tube so probably the tire has been off the rim more then once. Its hard to tell with that pile of rubber sitting there like a peeled banana but am guessing the inside bead let go and blasted the force at the inside tire and why nothing got knocked off the table. Check to make sure there wasn't damage on the rim, a pressure point or even a crack along the edge. We had a bead fail on a 30.5x32 combine tire but the tire didn't self destruct other then at that spot it let go which was indeed at the wedge mold because it was rice tires that we rounded up used and they had been on and off of rims too many times and being pushed on too hard with a bead breaker tool and compromised the cable was the theory behind that.

None of this speculating helps you get some new tires though, hard to know what to do with the rest of them and if you should go ahead and run them but replace these two as a set and take it one step at a time since you've not had any time in the seat of the tractor to know what all you want to spend on it.

Last edited by Northern Farmer; 04-16-2017 at 11:32 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post

None of this speculating helps you get some new tires though, hard to know what to do with the rest of them and if you should go ahead and run them but replace these two as a set and take it one step at a time since you've not had any time in the seat of the tractor to know what all you want to spend on it.
The tractor is being cosmetically and comfort wise completely restored to better than original and just going go to get everything mechanically sound. So putting new tires on was already planned

The thing is it has 23.1-34's on it so I wanted some time to look around and see if I should be going with larger tires. I talked to Big Tractor the other day and I was waiting for a quote on some 24.5 wheels. Was just hoping for a little extra time to decide what I wanted to do as I am seeing 23.1's and/or 580's are not too easy to find. But then again I have never really had a hard time finding what I needed until now.
I have bought a few Chinese tires and I have been happy with them but everytime I buy them the place I do business with regularly suddenly claims they are unavailable because they want to sell me Firestone or Michelin tires witch don't get me wrong are top notch tires but there are tractors on my farm that do not require perfection.

For some of these off bread tires is there any that stand out as good or bad?
I see BKT, Continental, Petlas, Mitas and others and thinking someone here must have some experience with some of them.
I had some 18.4r32 Chinese Farm Tec tires on a 7000 allis and was quite suprised how well 300$ tires performed so even though I need 8 I'm willing to try.

God Bless America
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We have put 1000 hrs on a set of petlas tires they have good traction and have had no issues so far. They still have the numbers on the face of the tread.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
The one tire shop we usually deal with was a Firestone dealer. They always had great service and treated us well. A few years back they dropped the Firestone tires and replaced them with Petlas. They assured me that they are just as good as a Firestone and very competitive when it comes to pricing and availability. Still haven't tried them yet. We have had BKT floater tires on our sprayers before and they seemed to stand up well.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page