The Combine Forum banner

John deere versus fendt

27K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  toymachine 
#1 · (Edited)
We at the present time run John Deere tractors and at present we have a 5065,5083,7230 and a 7430. My younger brother recently discovered the Fendt tractor at school and we went to look at some at a dealer not to far from us. They do look impressive and have a good warranty, Do any of you have a Fendt and can tell us if they are as good as they sound or do they have problems later on. When it comes time to replace one of the Deere's we might consider going over to Fendt and try one. Deere is a good tractor but our oldest one is only a 2007 hardly old enough for us to know. We still have grandfather's Massey Ferguson 165 here and it still does a full days work and if our Deere's can last that long we would be very happy. Thanks guys,hope someone can help us out.

#6 ·
The price depends on how motivated your dealer is. When I was looking at adding more land, I was looking at prices on Case, Deere, Fendt, and Massey, whatever model corresponds to a 300hp FWA, with the 50kph transmission and full auto steer pretty much spec'd the same across the board. The massey and fendt dealers were the same place, and they would much rather sell a fendt. That said they were about $10,000 less than Deere and case was $5000 than The Fendt. The price difference Between the fendt and Massey was negligible. However I'm sure that if I dealt with a Massey only dealer, the price on the massey would have been $5-10,000 less than the case.

The guys who first started using the fendts locally are Dairy's. And it seems that once they start using them, they stay with them.

#7 ·
We run two Fendt tractors,a 712 and a 930. The 712 is a 2001 model with 5-6000 hrs and never a stitch of trouble. The 930 we bought used at 3500 hrs and had some troubles with the lights but the dealer fixed them up. Love both tractors and would not consider anything but Fendt to replace them. We also have JD and Case tractors but the Fendt is by far the cheapest to maintain and run. Biggest problem we have is teaching new guys how to operate them.

#8 ·
Thanks guys for your information on them.That JD 9 series being pulled around by that Fendt which i assume is also a 9 series was impressive,being the Deere had dual tires and the Fendt didn't. The only one on our farm we would need to keep away from it is our dad, he hates these new tractors run by computers

#10 ·
I personally have not driven a Fendt, my brother has and he says they will outwork any of our Deere's but then he was running a 924 Fendt, which is 240 Hp.Our biggest Deere is a 7430 which is about 75 HP lower then the Fendt. I do like the warranty on them and cabs are very will put together.

#11 ·
I know its not a fendt but the uncle tried a brand new case, john deere and massey. they loved the massey, fastest road speed, nicest ride, nice cab.

the case was cheap feeling and just not a nice tractor compared to the deere/massey.

but the deere was the cheapest price.

#12 ·
I'm not sure how those are priced in the US but in EU Fend is much more than John Deere. Is it better? well, that is more of an personal preference. If you are comparing same range John Deere and Fend, equally equipped, you get about the same results. Fend does have a very good power distribution to the ground and weight distribution between the axles. So that plus powerful engine and Vario transmission give great results. Did hear that transmissions have a pretty high failure rate, so consider that. And Fend in EU is about 20K Euros and/or more expensive that anything else in same range, check the prices in states.
It is probably a great tractor for transport ( 60kph trnsmission ) and for ploughing. To me, it is something like those Schluter tractors from 70's and 80's. Those things would plough as well as competitors that are twice their power, just unbelievable. But thats pretty much all they were good for.
OK, now i'm a bit off the subject. :)
I live in EU now, and still run 90% of tractors and combines made by John Deere, and we've had Deutz-Fahr's, Massey, Claas,........Deere might not be best in something, but it is just great in everything:)

#13 ·
About the fast transport speeds, I can see that when the tractor is not pulling anything, but around here, our New Holland has the fast speed, I don't know the conversion, but it goes like 31.5mph down the road. When I'm pulling something down the road, I rarely hit top speed. I could just see me hitting a slight bump in the road, and the implement collapsing behind me at high speed.

#14 ·
I've seen some Fendts and Deutz-Fahrs here in EU that go 60kph ( thats like 38 - ish mph ). JCB goes up to 80kph ( 50mph ). I guess if you have a good trailer you can drive the product to the silo with a tractor ( no need for a truck ). As most speed limits are 35 mph, right?......but also, some guys just like to say that theirs is faster :)

#15 ·
I had a 03 924 and a 2010 936 fendt. Best transmission you can get period but I wish I could get the agco vario in my 8360R JD as the the overall package I feel is better. Fendt has the smoothest cab I have ever been in. But it was a problem as you go to quick with gear behind. I love my 8360R more than the 936 fendt. Also the fendt did burn down, nearly taking my father with it. But still a good tractor. I have 9000+ hrs on the 924 and we have not done a thing to it except a few hoses and the rear linkage rams.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for the input you have given me on the Fendt. I really haven't heard about any problems any more serious then what we have had with our John Deere's and the Massey Ferguson's we had before. I think we shall try one out when its time to replace one of our John Deere's. Even if we didn't buy one would sure shake up our local JD salesman. Tyler

#17 ·
Even if we didn't buy one would sure shake up our local JD salesman. Tyler
That it would. My cousin was looking at replacing his JD fleet with something different. Got a quote for a couple of tractors, a windrower, a baler, and a couple yard maintenance pieces, from 3 other dealers other than deer. Then went and talk to the Deere guys. They got a whole lot more serious when he showed them the quotes from the competition, like 38% more serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.