The Combine Forum banner

Is a jd air cart the biggest piece of $hit ever?

33K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  460 
#1 ·
Is the jd 1910 double shot aircart the all time biggest piece of junk ever? So sick of this thing it's incapable of double shooting anything with out plugging and siphoning canola out with to much fan and or pluging the fert lines with not enough fan, this is the 4th and last year with this under engineerd junk, get your act together john deere!

#7 ·
I'm pushing 40 feet 200 lb fert and 5lb canola. Fan at 3600 rpm. Keep the damper down on the canola so it feels like I'm blowing on my hand at the seed opener. However the fertilizer seems like lately it's going on a bit heavier than calibrated and the wheat I'm seeding is not going on heavy enough. I hate inaccurate things it drives me nuts. I had a bourgault 3195 cart before and that was a nightmare on canola unless you were pushing at least 50 lbs of fert with it. I've come down to just putting in a known quantity of seed, setting it, and seeding it out and seeing how much it covers. Then make your adjustments from there. Therefore if your calibration for 5 lbs is 10 and it turns out it seeds more like 6 then it is 20% higher so cut to 8 and then see how it seeds. Siphoning is a bugger but some carts are bad. As long as you can adjust for it and it stays consistent then it can be managed but if it's periodic then you have problems.

#17 ·
Can't comment on the 1910 air carts, but we couldn't get rid of our 1900 quick enough. Canola rates always ranged from +20% to -20%. And changed across the field. No consistency. Even after we rebuilt the meters and meter boxes. (Dropped everything off the frame below the plastic tank.) Fertilizer was maybe +/-10% on a good day. But the canola metering was horrible.

The JD carts seem to be a love/hate machine. Some folks love 'em. Some folks hate 'em. Very few are indifferent!

Andrew

#18 · (Edited)
I would definitely try changing your brushes. When I first got my 1910 and tried seeding canola I was getting the same thing happening. Canola all over the ground when the drill was parked with the fan running. Over 20lbs to the acre when I tried seeding. After I changed the brushes I would get exactly what I tried to target. My air adjustment has been seized in the same spot for years now. I would run my fan 4500 all year. All crops. didn't seem to do any harm from 5 lbs of canola to 350 lbs of fert. And had great crop stands. I am not recommending every one run their fans like that. But I couldn't seem to keep that adjustment device unseized after taking it apart a few times and changing out part. So I ended up just leaving it and seem to get away with it.

#20 ·
There is a part in the bottom of the seed roller for canola. Had local dealer rebuild one and they put the wrong ones in. I seeded a field of canary seed moved two miles to another field with the fan off. made 1/4 mile in the second field and had blockage monitors going off. I walked back to start of the field to see if it was seeding when I started the field. I looked back at the drill there was just under a bushel of canary seed under each opener. It blew canary out till it couldn't blow any more cause the piles were plugging off the openers. Openers were lifted all the way up .

#21 ·
I have not had any problems with my 1910 cart seeding canola.
I run the fan at 4500 rpm for all crops and always have the air diverter set evenly between top and bottom run.
I do have seed brakes on the seeder so therefore I am not concerned about running high air speed.
always set the canola rate to 4.5 pounds and it always works out to the right rate.

#22 ·
I was so pissed at jay dee after dealing with my area salesman. I called the owner up and told him if he didn't didn't have a new roller that worked within an hour that they would have a drill sitting in their show room. He said said they didn't have a show room in Kindersley. I bought a one year old air drill off them and someone switched the roller out for a 12 year old roller that had a rock go through it.

#27 ·
Make sure you don't have loose dust wads in your fan plenum partially restricting ports. Someone on here this spring also had a 1910 syphoning from a buildup inside a tube under the meters, which I had never seen before.

I have no experience with the double shoot version. It would seem to me it has some pitfalls. I think you would need your canola tank to be pressurized from the secondary run that it is feeding into rather than the plenum or the opposite set of primaries that will have higher pressures on them.

Just where 1910's pic up there individual tank pressurization seems to be very random from unit to unit. You may have to switch the supply lines around on a couple of the tanks.

If there is no pressure differential on the meter it shouldn't syphon even if things are badly worn because it feeds the seed over the top of the flute roller.

#31 ·
I have no preference for any particular brand but like simplicity and accuracy. Bourgault builds a simple well built cart. Only thing the older carts accuracy and lack of finite adjustment is sketchy. I like the setting of the deere but what a rust magnet. How come an all steel bourgault has less rust than a plastic jd. I got my jd because it's about the best dealer for parts and service. Besides it was not a bad buy but if I had my way I would have a bg drill and cart. They're just more durable.

#35 ·
just so everyone knows I have green shorts but ...... we had a 1910 cart ....it was a very good day when we towed it to town and brought home our 6550 bg. we had water getting into the back two rollers when it rained. had to refoam the bottom of the tanks. meter housings have stupid little air passages tht plug off. the slides to shut the tanks off always bind and wont shut off . the passage ways to the lower seed runs would block off with phos dust ...and just try to seed all your peas down their.newer drills you can flip the hoses at the culativator. oh has any body drove their trailer over the short dink augers they offer? most guys have a jobber set up on it to make this work. . and if you park on anymore than a 1 degree slope you have to be a goddam gorilla to move that ****in 8"auger. In short yes a 1910 is possibly a large piece of ****. I suppose the deere is cheaper than bg but come on deere bg has you beat hands down . im tired of typing ...happy mothers day to all the moms out their!!!!!

#37 ·
I am running an Ezee-On 4400, cart is probably good only two issues worth speeking about, it is about as accurate as a rig as you will ever find.

My problem with it seems to be shared with BG, that worthless Loup variable rate system, I have ripped that thing apart to take anger out on the buzzer, my brother threw his phone at it and broke the screen, could it be any louder? I can be behind the cart with the tractor running and the fan on and hear it beeping!!! the beeping continues in my sleep!!! Poorly thought out junk

I have contemplated going Deere for a decent monitoring system, cause the shortline world seems to be pluaged with Loup and Top-con and further more I dislike the Flexi carts monitor system plus the whole design of the cart, I like Deere for the nice clean open built metering system

Trying to find an alternative to the Loup, maybe I can find a way to put a Raven on it and tie the whole drill together, mine is on a seed master bar, at any rate it wont be a Loup system next season or a diff cart, Deere or Morris? I am color blind but one thing is for sure, I will never run a single tube meter system again, might meter the accurate amount but never in the right place

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.