The Combine Forum banner

greenstar brown box question

21K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  johndeere88 
#1 ·
Im returning to the farm after 20 years and Im starting to update "within the last 20 years" some equipment. Anyway I purchased a 1996 John Deere 9500 on auction that has John Deere Greenstar yield monitor. Everything except the display or a gps. Im very new to precion ag but can anyone tell me what I will need to get going. I can find original Greenstar displays for around a 1000$ but do I need a card that goes in it? are there unlocks or anything like that to worry about. One last question. I have an Ag Leader Integra monitor for my planter. is it possible to hook it up to the Greenstar system? Thank you

#2 ·
Mobile processor(bulky attachment for back of Brown box) are fairly easy to find and cheap. At least around here. The keycards are harder to find with autosteer keycards on the endangered species list. If you can find a keycard and a spare one for backup I would say let er rip, but you won't get much help from most JD dealers as almost all of their new "technology" people probably won't have any training on this system and your options of getting the yield maps off of the keycard memory are limited. If i remember correctly the autosteer unlock is on one keycard and the yield mapping (harvest doc) is on another keycard. I don't remember if they can be combined to one card. There are people who autosteer and yield map at the same time, so it is possible to do both, but I think? that you have to have 2 cards at the same time. The mobile processors have 2 slots in them for keycards.

I understand that there are budgets for projects like these, but if you plan on keeping this combine for more than a few years and really want/need to yield map I would do one of two things:

1) complete agleader kit (GPS, monitor, yield sensor, and moisture sensor)

2) Find a 2600 JD display and starfire receiver and ask dealer for harnessing to make it work.
Once you have the 2600 it will yield map out of the box, so no activation required only GPS signal needed
An ATU wheel could then be easily tied into this system with a harness and autotrac activation.

#4 ·
If you are not worried about auto steer then you can use an old JD Starfire 300 receiver. We had one laying around from an old light bar that we never use. I set up our 9750 with a tank mount moisture sensor this way and no issues. That way you do not have to worry about comm issues and it connects right into the cabling that should already be coiled up on the combine if it is greenstar ready. There are other cheap options out there using a garmin receiver as well.

On our machine to produce maps we have the brown box, mobile processor, Harvest doc keycard, data card, and Starfire 300 recevier. As far as finding a data card there are some cheap options by finding a CF card (compact flash card) to PCMCIA card adapter on amazon. The data card setup cost me like $25, plus the card reader, instead of trying to find an overpriced JD one. Plus that old data card style (PCMCIA) is tough to find card readers for and it is much easier to find a reader for a CF. Here is what I bought for the data card setup from amazon.

Transcend TS512MCF80 512MB 80x Type I Compact Flash Card
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$14.12

Transcend PCMCIA Ata Adapter for Cf Card
Sold by: RS Enterprises
$9.99

Transcend P8 15-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP8K (Black)
$9.99

#5 ·
If you are not worried about auto steer then you can use an old JD Starfire 300 receiver. We had one laying around from an old light bar that we never use. I set up our 9750 with a tank mount moisture sensor this way and no issues. That way you do not have to worry about comm issues and it connects right into the cabling that should already be coiled up on the combine if it is greenstar ready. There are other cheap options out there using a garmin receiver as well.

On our machine to produce maps we have the brown box, mobile processor, Harvest doc keycard, data card, and Starfire 300 recevier. As far as finding a data card there are some cheap options by finding a CF card (compact flash card) to PCMCIA card adapter on amazon. The data card setup cost me like $25, plus the card reader, instead of trying to find an overpriced JD one. Plus that old data card style (PCMCIA) is tough to find card readers for and it is much easier to find a reader for a CF. Here is what I bought for the data card setup from amazon.

Transcend TS512MCF80 512MB 80x Type I Compact Flash Card
$14.12

Transcend PCMCIA Ata Adapter for Cf Card
Sold by: RS Enterprises
$9.99

Transcend P8 15-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP8K (Black)
$9.99
Hi,

You mentioned a few things I would need your help with if you have a couple of minutes to assist.

1. Harvest Doc keycard and mobile processor - Would I be able to find it on ebay?
2. You mentioned: "There are other cheap options out there using a garmin receiver as well." Can you help with a Garmin product which can be used?

I need to look at the cheapest available options as I am in South Africa and all the Hardware is 4 to 5 times the price over here.

We have 4 x Case 2366's with the AFS monitors. We recently bought 2 x JD 9660sts's. They have the Brown box's fitted to them and we desperately need to get them ready for Yield mapping and don't want to spend a fortune on them as we will trade 4 of the 6 combines in the next 2 years for JD's with all the hardware included. We don't need auto steer.

Hopefully you can help as we don't want to spend $30k on these combines right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.