1978 6600 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1978 6600

Hi to all me and my dad just bought a 1978 6600 it seems to be in vary good condition and only has 2600 hours on it we plain to harvest about 40 acers of corn this fall for our own feed it has a 443 head on it. i've been reading the manuals for the combine and the head both but we have never had any dealings with a combine so i'm wondering is their there any thing in specific we need to check or do befor we try to use it.

As i said befor trying to learn about this thing is making my head hurt so any help or advice would be vary much appreciated.

THANKS, Michael
Tennessee 12v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would say the most overlooked things are to properly tension all the chains and belts before you start. On the belts, if there is a springloaded tensioner, make sure it's able to move in and out and is not frozen up.

Do not forget the feederhouse chain and elevator chains like the return and clean grain elevator.

On one that old, you might have to replace the rubber bushings on the seive and chaffer where it shakes. Watch them closely at least, you can beat the links our pretty quickly and damage the chaffer and seive assembly if they go out and you don't notice it.

On your 443, take out the plug between the tops of the snouts, just above the stalk rollers and pump the special corn head grease in the fittings underneath on the gearbox until it pushes out the hole on top. Replace the plugs and run the header a bit and then recheck to ensure it's really full.

The other thing that may cause you problems is the tensioner on the header chains. They will freeze up in the slide and may pull in and stay in which allows the chain to fall off. Good idea to raise all the snouts and blow that all out with an air hose and adjust the deck plates and the tensioner springs as well as making sure the tensioner can slide back and forth freely. Just grab each chain and pull it out toward the stalk roller gap and let go, it should snap back in. There's a spec on how to set the tensioners, but I can't remember what it is.

On the engine side of things, after the machine has been sitting, or before you go pick it up etc, drain any contaminants from the fuel tank. Best to get rid of as much as possible before it gets to the sediment bowl screen and filter. We got some severe algal growth in our 4420 one year and it would about run you crazy cleaning the sediment bowl screen. Should have just removed the tank and had it steamed out, but we kept at it until it imporved eventually from putting fresh treated fuel in it.
ccjersey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tennessee get the user manual for it if you don't already have it. Get to know every single grease fitting, some are hard to locate by using the manual's picture.

My advice is read the manual WHILE going over the machine. It will teach you the terms and adjustments you'l need to do. If its already set for corn, and thats all your going to do that will be easy.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default 6600's were great machines

And a late model to boot. Congrats.

Probably has the 404 (big) engine?

Post pictures of it as soon as you can.
Hawken Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

If your experiences are anything close to mine ('81 4420 443 head, bought with about 2200 hours), then believe it or not , those hours are enough to cause a good bit of wear if it has spent it's life doing corn.

Your chains on the head are probably about done for, check to see how much more tension can be adjusted, but I'd suspect if they haven't been replaced yet, it will be soon. Check for cracks or repairs on the chaffer frame, they like to shake themselves apart even if the bushings are good. Elevator chains and elevator sheet metal are getting worn.

Just take that manual, keep looking it over, stand there at the machine while you're reading it, if you don't understand, keep looking, touching feeling, reading, and moving it and you'll start to make sense of it. Lube it up good, run it slow while walking around it watching and listening (be careful, no leaning or touching now). After you've run it for a while, shut it down and feel it all over real good looking for anything that seems to be too warm. Lube it again after it's a little warm. Follow the adjustment recommendations in the book for starters, then tweak from there. You can always come back to this forum for adjustment pointers.

Should be a decent machine for you. I like mine and have learned a lot, and still learning!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default thanks guys

Actually we are the 3rd owners of the combune, the guy we got it from used it in corn the last two years along side of a newer john deere and said it did just as good of a job as it, but before he had it it was used primarily for wheat and then a little corn.

Yes it dose have the 404 in it and we've got to get some different manuals because of the differences between it and the earlier 6600's

Again Thanks for your help, Michael
Tennessee 12v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

good purchase!!

basically spend some time making sure that all the adjusters adjust! so you can change cylinder speed, concave adjustments from the cab! i have seen a lot of 00 series combines where they have to go to the sheaves and adjust from there. not good, very dangerous. way to easy to get a shirt sleave caught or your hand or hair if you slip.

turn on the seperator at operating speed and listen for noises. little bit of clickity is normal out the chains but not to much, just look and listen to each moving part, them old combines talk to you pretty good! very easy and basic to work on!

any combine with a couple seasons on it you can walk up to it and find 1000$ worth of repair if you wanted to be fussy before you even get dirty. i got the 8820 home and it took 5 minutes to find 1000$ worth of work. changing oils and filters, cab kit and clean grain elevator upper sump housing for the grain tank auger.
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smile Radiator Hoses

I would recommend replacing the radiator hoses - upper and lower - to prevent them blowing and overheating the engine.
JASartain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Check the injection return tee lines on the engine real close. We lost a 4400 to one of those cracking and spraying fuel on the exhaust manifold. Not sure if that was a 404 engine or 329. Grease the electromagnetic clutch daily and the counterparts bearings. We had over 4000 hrs. On ours till it burnt.
rfruth45890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

*countershaft bearings.
rfruth45890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.