The Combine Forum banner

9570 sts cutting bearded wheat

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  plowboy7250 
#1 ·
Have a 9570 sts cutting bearded wheat the awns from the wheat completely plug up the are under the fixed pre chaffer or what I call the pre cleaner. Is there a way to cure this problem? not a fun job to dig out everyday!

#3 ·
We started having this problem when the S-series machines came out, though we are running wide-body machines. What I determined the problem to be is that John Deere divided the precleaner into runs that are too narrow. They used to only be divided into quarters, now they come from the factory divided into eighths. We took the sheet metal pieces that cut the runs into 1/8ths out and now it's fine.

Deere also has a kit out there to eliminate this problem on wide-body machines. The kit replaces the plastic "finger" pieces that extend off the back of the pre-cleaner and over the chaffer with a solid piece of metal so that beards don't suddenly hit a "wall" of air and tumble there which can eventually cause them to bridge up. Perhaps this kit would work for your narrow body machine as well.

I don't know how the precleaner is set up on a 95xx, but don't feel like you're the only one having the problem, because you're not. All I can advise you to do is to remove anything that could obstruct flow there or that makes it narrower than it needs to be. Beards seem to need space.

Don't let it get too built-up in there. It is rather unpleasant when it's 95 and humid and you're crammed up a combine's ass digging out beards that are rock-hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.