combine fires - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default combine fires

is it just me or are there more combine fires with the 9000 series combines and up? you don't see that many titan 2 fires, for instance. is it because the engine is in the back, where the straw is?
tomjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

No, I don't believe it is just the 9XXX Deere's that are burning up, there are red and yellow combines catching on fire too. I don't think motor location means a dam thing either.

If you look at how much more crop material and trash the class 6,and 7 combines are taking thru themselves compared to the old class 3 or 4 machines, it is no wonder they catch a fire once in a while. Although, I had a field fire with the 6620 series Deere when a feederhouse bearing went out droping hot pieces onto the dry cornstalks. Used to have a lot of fires on the old MF combines. I just think fires are a fact of life, especially when such huge machines are threshing up such large swaths in the crops.

An effective optional fire extinguisher system should be offered to cure this, as I think it would be considerably cheaper that than to design and maybe impossible to design a dust-proof combine.
greenpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

on the early 9000 they had a plastic tube to cover the shaft behind the cab. had to replace some bearings, pulled the tube off to clean back there, you could see the tube had melted because it got full of dust and then rubbed the shaft.
also on the 9000 series you can hardly find one that doesn't have burned dust on the engine head.

seen a lot of close calls over the years of climbing around the combines. you can see where things started to burn but fizzled out.
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Howdy

Most of the time fires around here come down up of straw is the operator not cleaning down the machine and happen on all makes, old and new. Combines need to be cleaned down with compressed air or even a leaf blower once a day paying particular attention to the engine bay. Of coarse there just is those fires that are virtually unavoidable generally coming from component failure or electrical.

Cleaning down your combine and keeping the maintenance up to it will go a long way in fire prevention.
Case2366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

red guys making some changes to the airflow around engines on the 20 series. they better figure out a self cleaning combine or fire prevention system . or they'll get uninsureable.
The adjusters when the 7010 burnt said they had seen a lot burned fire protection systems.
farmertony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.