JD 9500 Separator Not Disengaging!! - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation JD 9500 Separator Not Disengaging!!

First off, I usually work on light to medium duty cars and trucks. This is a little out of the usual for me. I'm trying to help a friend fix his JD 9500. I think it's a 1991.

The problem he is having is the whole back of the machine (seperator, auger, threshing drum) won't disengage when the switch in the cab is flipped off. The only things not spinning are the header and spreader on the back. It puts a giant strain on the engine during startup, and when its shut down, it shakes violently from the main drive belt jumping on the pulley. I'm guessing the engine stopping so suddenly, and all the momentum from everything still turning in the back makes it do that. Shouldn't there be some kind of safety interlock that prevents the processing part of the machine from running during startup/shutdown?

How is the seperator drive belt controlled? The header has an electromagnetic clutch. Is there somehting similar? There's a large pulley with a hydrauic line coming out of it that goes to a valve on the opposite side. Is this some type of hydraulic clutch or am I looking at the wrong part?

I did notice that the relay in the circuit breaker box does click when the switch is flipped, so I know the controls are good.
Rofflesaurrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

"There's a large pulley with a hydrauic line coming out of it that goes to a valve on the opposite side. Is this some type of hydraulic clutch or am I looking at the wrong part?" That's the variable speed cylinder sheave. It's not what you are looking for.

I have familiarity with a 7720 and have yet to run our new-to-us 9500 so I cannot answer your question tonight. I will look in the manual tomorrow though while I am getting the machine ready to harvest our SRW wheat later this week.

The owner really needs to get these two Deere manuals (TM1401 & TM1402) if he wants to save money by having others work on his machine.

They can be ordered directly from a Deere dealer for $610 as a printed set or $305 for the CD's.

They can also be found on ebay for less money if you are patient.

John Deere 9400 9500 9600 Combine Tech Repair Manual | eBay

John Deere 9400 9500 9600 Combine Diagnostic Manual | eBay

Last edited by Hawken Cougar; 06-14-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Hawken Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Found this.......

The separator drive clutches will not take a great deal of abuse and can warp when forced under great loads. If you warp the separator drive clutch discs the separator will not shut off.

Read more: johen deere 9500, plugged cyclinder.I have pulled out as much - JustAnswer johen deere 9500, plugged cyclinder.I have pulled out as much - JustAnswer
Hawken Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

The hydraulic line on the drive pulley is for the variable speed and has nothing to do with the engage/disengage. Follow the drive line farther back there is a gearbox behind the cab with a drive shaft coming through the hopper from the engine gearcase mounted on the back of the engine, I believe that the engaging mechanism is in or on this gearcase. When you say that the chopper is not turning when switch is disengaged tells me that your problem is internally in the gearcase as the switch is disengaging the pulley on the end of the gearcase, the rest of the combine is driven from the gearbox behind the cab. there is an electric clutch for the header and feederhouse on the left side of that gearbox so that clutch is working.

When you say auger is turning do you mean unload auger because that would be a different problem.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit s60 View Post
The hydraulic line on the drive pulley is for the variable speed and has nothing to do with the engage/disengage. Follow the drive line farther back there is a gearbox behind the cab with a drive shaft coming through the hopper from the engine gearcase mounted on the back of the engine, I believe that the engaging mechanism is in or on this gearcase. When you say that the chopper is not turning when switch is disengaged tells me that your problem is internally in the gearcase as the switch is disengaging the pulley on the end of the gearcase, the rest of the combine is driven from the gearbox behind the cab. there is an electric clutch for the header and feederhouse on the left side of that gearbox so that clutch is working.

When you say auger is turning do you mean unload auger because that would be a different problem.
It might not be the auger that i'm looking at. Its down bottom under/behind the cab. Something's turning down there because I can feel a lot of air rushing out. Everything that's running is on the same series of belts. I guess i'll check out the gearbox behind the cab. I saw that driveshaft in the hopper turning that you described.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ive seen this happen sometimes to these combines. We have had a few come in the shop that did the same thing. The clutch to disengage the seperator is in the gearcase that is mounted to the back of the engine. When the seperator wont stop when the switch is turned off, its usually the clutch packs have become fused together with the plates in between them, therefor the clutch cant release and the seperator wont stop. Go and check the oil in the engine gearcase and see if it is dark and if it smells burnt. This is what i would look at first from my experience and from what you are telling me, i would say that the main clutch is the problem.

Mike

Last edited by FarmingMan82; 06-15-2011 at 12:16 AM.
FarmingMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

If the combine has been plugged at any time in the the past and operator tries to deslug the combine by powering it out the seperator pto hydraulic clutch plates could overheat and warp. This results in the seperator not disengaging because the warped plates will drag enough to keep things turning.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

He said it was plugged bad one day and that's when it started. It would work intermittently and he had to keep switching it to get it to disengage, but now it's completely stuck. So tomorrow i'm going to climb up and check the gearbox near the engine and check the oil.

These are the clutch discs and plates i'm looking for?
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/HP61/H..._UN25AUG95.gif

#11 (AH125490)
#12 (T70309)
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

If it got hot enough the oil could be slightly discolored and will have a burnt odour to it. The rear pto assy will have to be removed from the rear of the engine and the pto assy removed and rebuilt to repair. It's not real safe but combine will operate as it is to harvest, makes starting and stopping the machine difficult to deal with.
You have the correct parts breakdown, yes.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes those are the clutches i was talking about......If it was plugged, those clutches could have slipped and got hot and burnt together with the plates. You said that the spreader and the header were not turning. Do you mean the chaff spreader? The chopper would keep turning too if the clutch is screwed. If it is the main clutch the whole gearcase has to be pulled from the combine which is a good sized job and requires some sort of lift or hoist. We use a forklift.

Unless it has been done recently, i would recommend doing the rear engine seal and possibly the pan seal at the same time. When its appart that far its a good time to reseal everything to make sure there will be no need to take it apart again. Also the rubber coupler between the gearcase and engine can be damaged from any oil that has leaked into the housing.

Mike
FarmingMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.