any capacity differences 2012-2014 S series to 2015-16? - The Combine Forum

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
any capacity differences 2012-2014 S series to 2015-16?

Deere ads claim the hydraulic concave gives 10% more capacity at same loss and up to 20% more capacity when tough. New dyna flow 2 cleaning fan adds 10% more capacity at same loss. So real life numbers in the field, is a 2015-2016 S680 or S690 doing 20-30% more capacity at low losses than the 2012-2014 years?

Would like to trade off my 9870, but would like something that consistently does 30-50% more capacity. Harvest peas, barley, spring wheat and canola. Usually dry conditions at harvest, but lots of straw. Irrigation in Alberta.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:45 AM
Iam not a Senior member..

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Of course not.
Don't get suckered in to their marketing BS.

Its okay to use Monopoly money on strippers with fake boobs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
That would mean it does 50-70% more than a 9870. Not a chance. Maybe they were talking about the increase in payments.
adsinaus, SWFarmService and EBEAR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Deere ads claim the hydraulic concave gives 10% more capacity at same loss and up to 20% more capacity when tough. New dyna flow 2 cleaning fan adds 10% more capacity at same loss. So real life numbers in the field, is a 2015-2016 S680 or S690 doing 20-30% more capacity at low losses than the 2012-2014 years?

Would like to trade off my 9870, but would like something that consistently does 30-50% more capacity. Harvest peas, barley, spring wheat and canola. Usually dry conditions at harvest, but lots of straw. Irrigation in Alberta.
30-50% is asking a lot of any combine, even a large Claas or NH would struggle to attain your goals. I would recommend a S690 (because of straw) and expect 20% over your current 9870.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
How does a hydraulic concave add capacity? Is it preventing plugs or breakdowns, or is it allowing a wider setting when more material enters while still keeping a tighter clearance for lighter crop? I'm kind of thinking wheat here where threshing is needed, doubt canola would be affected by clearance.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
I think that falls under the "ram more product through ability" rather than actual reduced losses.
chance2 likes this.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was hoping someone here has run a newer model and can comment. Finding it hard to justify the asking prices for new combines, without showing more capacity. Lots of talk about how good the claas and new Holland are, but no dealers within 2 hours of me.

Have a case combine and an old 9870 now and would like to upgrade. The feeder house on the case is a joke and the early S series deeres were very poor performing machines locally. Was hoping the later model S series were better.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
The active combine isolation and feeder house improvements of the 15 and newer machine with tough crop package make it a completely different combine than the 12-14's. The hydraulic suspended concaves make a massive difference in the threshing ability in tough straw with cereals and bunches of canola, in terms of maintaining a consistent concave clearance, while also allowing the machine to "give" when large wads are fed through that would otherwise blow a sheer bolt. In 16 the extended sieve also makes a big difference.

All the love for the New Holland elevation rotors and Lexions is great, but if you get the chance its worth it to try out a new S-Series. You would be pleasantly surprised.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:10 AM
CM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraysmart View Post
The active combine isolation and feeder house improvements of the 15 and newer machine with tough crop package make it a completely different combine than the 12-14's. The hydraulic suspended concaves make a massive difference in the threshing ability in tough straw with cereals and bunches of canola, in terms of maintaining a consistent concave clearance, while also allowing the machine to "give" when large wads are fed through that would otherwise blow a sheer bolt. In 16 the extended sieve also makes a big difference.

All the love for the New Holland elevation rotors and Lexions is great, but if you get the chance its worth it to try out a new S-Series. You would be pleasantly surprised.
I have a 2012 with the dual zone chaffer. I'm sure the new ones are a bit better but not worth 200k diff from my 12 to a 15? and even more to a 16?? Yikes
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I went from a 9870 to a 2015 S680. The hydraulic con caves make a huge difference when it comes to slugging material through. I am not throwing over near as much grain with this one as I was with the 9870 and I am putting a lot more product into the combine this year with the larger crop. I don't believe I have gained enough in acres per hour to warrant the expense of the combine. I think with the way the 15 S680 performs I am physically and mentally better at the end of the day. Constantly hammering straw through the 9870 was very tiring. I did chip the 680 as it was constantly pulling down on power and that made a huge difference on power and fuel. I farm 4200 acres and went from 2 older combines to 1 combine. I am still satisfied that this was the right choice.

X80 and Spraysmart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page