2 9660sts vs 1 new series combine - The Combine Forum

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2 9660sts vs 1 new series combine

Just wondering opinions on selling 2 combines for 1 newer series. Recently had an inspection on one of my 9660sts that amounted to 50g hardly worth attempting to fix. 43 problems with only 1300 seperator hours! Thinking someone changed the tack before I purchased it 4 years ago. Thoughts are maybe one new combine if it can replace the two older models. Not sure if there's enough cleaning capacity to do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
No.
Even if you switch to a good brand, no.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
How many acres ? And LOCATION FER CHRIST SAKE !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
No.
Even if you switch to a good brand, no.
I completely agree with Don.
Do you run a grain cart? What are your average crops and yields? Enough people here to give ideas on bushels per hour on combine models. If you know what your 9660sts does it will give you an idea. You can figure how much time is spent dumping if you stop to unload.
I went through this when decided to get rid of my 9650 walker. I only average 400-500 bushels per hour with it. Rarely can get 800 out of it in that perfect part of the day. Was not running a cart and stopping to unload. Was running 2 combines, the other a class 7 or 8 rotary. Went with a cart and hope it comes close to making up for the 9650 walker. I am not a fan of that machine in my operation.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Some times those Green Lights are a big money grab. Lots of times they change stuff that don't need to be touched. We have run Deere combines since the early 1960s we have never taken a combine to dealer for a inspection. Just check them myself fix what needs to be done and have only left the field a couple times in the last 20 years. This year broke a thrashing element in a 9750 I was down for 56 min changed one element and two separator tines and was back making dust. The STS are easy to work on.
460, V876 and LutzSK like this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Central ab. This year was really hard on the machines with the snow in October. Barley 70-80 and canola 40-55. Some peas. Normally can figure 10 acres good going an hour. Not this year. Canola was down to 1 mph. I had the machine at the dealer for another reason and thought I'd try out there inspection since it was there. 43 different projects that need to be replaced. To say the least I was glad I was sitting down when they emailed the results of the green light. Mostly internal and slip clutches, gear boxes, but was very surprised even the auger to carry it to the grain elevator.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
I think I would be a little skeptical about that inspection, 43 things seems like a lot, even for just minor things. Think they maybe have a slow winter in their shop! We don't run Deere but have never been a real fan of any companies inspections, unless you really aren't mechanically inclined or just hate doing it yourself. I think they are kind of like those quick oil change places that give a 53 points inspection while they change the oil in 10 minutes, it's not really a great inspection. As far as one combine replacing two, there really is no right or wrong way to go, pros and cons either way. If one combine can do what two can, that is a lot cheaper and efficient way to go. But also when you have only one machine going and it breaks down, you are at 0% capacity, with two machines when one's down, you can still run 50%. No easy answer.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Seriously! $50,000 work order on a 1600 separator hour machine? I second being skeptical about the inspection.
jcalder and SWFarmService like this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the inspection definitely seems abit off. Most years just fix what is giving us grief the year before. Still have break downs as any other brand. But for the most part up and running the next day. I though a Lexion 770 of 780 might make up the slack of two combines but I would need to cover 20 acres an hour to come close what these two machines can do a day. No grain cart just stop at the end of the field and empty into a grain trailer. And it's only 1300 sep hours not 1600! Bought a second one after our first did a very good job and one came into the dealer with very low hours,our first has higher hours.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Was chatting with the old man and is it true they follow a book stating after to many hours replace this? lots of the things on there list may not be broken but to cover themselves in the inspection they have to list it in case it goes next season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page