Smaller combines - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Smaller combines

I already no the answer to this question but will the indusrty ever offer a smaller no frills combine for smaller producers.Do not get me wrong I like technology,I am going to put GPS on the sprayer tractor next year. Are fields are small and some just hard to get into with big equipment. I no I can buy an older combine but then parts become an issue. Like I said just a question I already no the answer too.
porksplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well JD will quite production of the S550 in 2014, and even now it is built in limited quantities. There will be no replacement. So I guess you know the answer to what JD sees the future to be.
farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
tmk

John Deere's answer is the first owner of a combine will be a custom cutter for one season , the second will be a grain farmer for 2500-3000 hours the third owner ...the combine salvage yard . There will probably never be another line as the 9400, 9500 and 9600 ,at least according to their bean counters .
tmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk View Post
John Deere's answer is the first owner of a combine will be a custom cutter for one season , the second will be a grain farmer for 2500-3000 hours the third owner ...the combine salvage yard . There will probably never be another line as the 9400, 9500 and 9600 ,at least according to their bean counters .
Do you think other brands look at it a different way?
farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here in Europe Claas offers two models of Avero four-walker combine, as well as two even smaller model of Dominator machine for certain markets. You can see them on the international section of the claas.com website
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default there will be if

If there is a demand for it, i am sure someone would try to capture the market. It all comes down to the bottom line, if something where to happen to farming that people down sized for whatever reason, the machinery companies would follow. I am also looking for a good shape newer combine but do need what is out there. May be some farmer with a nice big shop could start producing a small combine no thrills for the niche market, nobody else seems to want it, and there probably be enough of a demand for a small company.
Combine Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

its supply and demand. nobodys buying small combines new but they are getting more rare used i see your problem. Riteway mfg outta regina teamed up with rostelmash and built there own combine called the python its a class 6. They also import a russain rostelmash class 5 and a class 6 combine the vector and the actross. With rostelmash owning part of buhler versatile maybe they will bring more smaller russain machines over however its all supply demand driven im sure riteway can count on there fingers how many combines they sell in a year. I heard martinr that if your go to your claas (caterpiller) salesman and bugged him enough they can bring a smaller lexion over from europe it would be in the green and white colors though nor the black and yellow. lexions models start at 710 in europe but 730 is the smallest north american model
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

JD is pretty good at supporting older equipment. You can still pretty much rebuild a 4400, 6600, 7700 if needed.
sid15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Efficiency and the manufacturer's bottom line are what dictate what gets produced. But somewhere along the line the smaller producers got left behind. As the farm labor force has dwindled there has been the inevitable shift from labor intensive to capital intensive; bigger machines with more capacity. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the highest selling machine in the Deere 20 series was the 7720. I remember seeing the very first Maximizer brochure and it looked very much like they focused on the 9500 being the next big selling model but it seems they were wrong as I am pretty sure their are more 9600s out there. And they have gotten bigger up to the weight limit for the custom harvesters. I have seen it with a few neighbors who used to run a 9600 and an 8820... they lost their labor (their kids) and purchased a 9770 and are just as efficient with less labor. Another farmer has ran 3 7720s since they were brand new but is finally going to buy a new bigger combine this next year because he can't find the labor to run them.

This said I think the biggest market demographic is for bigger machines and producing a smaller machine with the retooling that would be required is just not economically feasible. I was pretty surprised when Deere came out with the 9560, as Case had dropped their 2344 a few years before and then dropped the 2366. That shows they were not selling enough to meet production costs (that or they just wanted us to have to pay more for a bigger machine even when we didn't really need it).

It would be great if a company could make a smaller economy line combine (like the Deere 4425? I think that's the number) but I don't see it coming from the big guys and the start up costs for a new manufacturer are just too astronomical and risky with our economy where it is... unless they can somehow convince the government that they are "green" and can help lower the sea levels or save a few polar bears/whales and throw them a few billion in government subsidies.
Equal Opportunity Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

How bout a big no frills combine.
cehnehdehfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.