17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
S690 2017 performance

Hi fellow farmers!

I am new to this, so excuse if lacking.

I farm in South Africa Western Cape, wheat, barley and canola is my winter grains. Have been running S670's and fed up with the usual rotor loss under high flow problems. Need more capacity and speed. Looking to swath 70 feet with yields normally around 4t/ha. I am very loyal to my green brand and my whole fleet is green since forever.

I know that pre 2016 the John Deere S series still came up short. So Claas came to visit me with their Lexion 770's. Looks like a very productive harvester but not comfortable with the support and moving my relationship with green.

Ordered some S690's with "new 2017 spec" for what that's worth, thinking that at our yields picking 70feet at around 8km/h there will be no real difference between Lexion and John Deere seeing that the crop flow isn't that big, so Lexion will be under utilised and I can keep my green friends...

What is your thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Hi fellow farmers!

I am new to this, so excuse if lacking.

I farm in South Africa Western Cape, wheat, barley and canola is my winter grains. Have been running S670's and fed up with the usual rotor loss under high flow problems. Need more capacity and speed. Looking to swath 70 feet with yields normally around 4t/ha. I am very loyal to my green brand and my whole fleet is green since forever.

I know that pre 2016 the John Deere S series still came up short. So Claas came to visit me with their Lexion 770's. Looks like a very productive harvester but not comfortable with the support and moving my relationship with green.

Ordered some S690's with "new 2017 spec" for what that's worth, thinking that at our yields picking 70feet at around 8km/h there will be no real difference between Lexion and John Deere seeing that the crop flow isn't that big, so Lexion will be under utilised and I can keep my green friends...

What is your thoughts??

i'm interested in the 70ft part...double swathed, or 70ft header?

adsinaus likes this.

You get to chose.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
It'd be interesting to see the claas vs the new 690s.

But if you're not willing to consider changing, then with respect aren't you kinda beholden to what you know/Deere regardless of if they're any better than before?

When do the new toy(s) arrive?
Either way I hope they work well for you and look forward to hearing your thoughts
Boerseun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Pretend Entrepreneur

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
690 and 670 have same rotor and concaves so how is it going to be any better? Apart from having HP to jam more stuff in there and then still lose it............
adsinaus likes this.

Its okay to use Monopoly money on strippers with fake boobs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:50 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake676 View Post
i'm interested in the 70ft part...double swathed, or 70ft header?
Me too, especially with 4 t/ha crops and 8 km/hr!

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Me too, especially with 4 t/ha crops and 8 km/hr!
Maybe the plan is 2 t/ha in the bin and 2 t/ha for the wildlife to pick up.
adsinaus likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Boerseun, install 4 of AXE44522. You will have to pull your factory separator grates out and replace with these. They will eliminate most rotor loss. They also bolt right in and are a JD part so you don't have to modify anything. I will tell you if you order your machines with the VARIABLE TRISTREAM ROTOR these components are already installed. Also there is a very aggressive feed accelerator with combed floor you can put in. In my opinion I can out perform any TRISTREAM ROTOR(bullet rotor) with the VARIABLE TRISTREAM ROTOR. I don't farm edibles though and can be pretty aggressive with my threshing. There is also some threshing tines that go between the threshing elements on the rotor that will help separate.
Be careful of the Lexion trap. There are a lot of folks on the Gulf Coast of Texas scratching their heads wondering where their support went when Lexion and Holt Cat split ways. Seems like when farming is good Cat wants in but as soon as it hits a rough patch they're out. John Deere seems to stay with you through thick and thin even though they are by no means perfect at least they are there for you.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefarmer09 View Post
There are a lot of folks on the Gulf Coast of Texas scratching their heads wondering where their support went when Lexion and Holt Cat split ways. Seems like when farming is good Cat wants in but as soon as it hits a rough patch they're out.
Exactly, but when Finning (Caterpillar agency in Alberta) pulled the pin and other dealers were put in place (existing actual agriculture dealers) it is a far better setup now.

It's always a tough decision to move away from a long term relationship with either a dealer or manufacturer, you have to weigh other potential advantages while potentially leaving your "friends".
Glad I took the leap of faith, I have a lot of Claas bitches but the high capacity and high grain retention wins all for me, dealer is good, I'm happy.
drylandfarmer and Boerseun like this.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Exactly, but when Finning (Caterpillar agency in Alberta) pulled the pin and other dealers were put in place (existing actual agriculture dealers) it is a far better setup now.

It's always a tough decision to move away from a long term relationship with either a dealer or manufacturer, you have to weigh other potential advantages while potentially leaving your "friends".
Glad I took the leap of faith, I have a lot of Claas bitches but the high capacity and high grain retention wins all for me, dealer is good, I'm happy.
You got any pics of the Claas bitches?

Steelman
MountainviewTruck likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 PM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman View Post
You got any pics of the Claas bitches?

Steelman
Ha ha, doubt they're in the train of thought you're on on a Friday afternoon.

steelman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page