9600 Concave Question..Please advise! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: 9600 Concave Question..Please advise!

Considering all of the help that I got here, I thought it only right to let you guys know what I settled on.

The Loewen was priced at about $1075 + [about] $90 freight.

The St. John was priced @ about $700 (exchange) + [about] $75 freight.

The Sunny Brook was priced @ about $1600 (USD) + [about] $300 freight.

All of the aftermarket concaves sounded really good. I spoke to each company; and each person that I spoke with was very accomodating, and took their time explaining their product.

The Loewen sounds good, heavy, and well thought-out. Their concave is 14 bar. I talked w/Grant @ Abilene Machine..very nice guy.

The St. John is great sounding, too, and is 14 bar, also. This company said that they have gotten away from the 9610 design..sorry, with all of the info., I can not recall why..I want to report this stuff accurately, as they were all very gracious. I visited w/ Terry..he really knows his stuff...

Sunny Brook 'makes' JD's concaves, now (go through Deere to get it). They also make a 'better' concave (that they will sell direct). The 'better' model has the replaceable front edge. It bolts in with stove bolts, and sounds really nice. The replaceable edges (306 stainless) costs about $300 (including shipping). This is a 15 bar. The concave they build for Deere 'stops following the circle' at bar 9. Their 'better' model stops following the circle at bar 14 & 15. I also think it is worth noting that their 'better' concave has about 100 pounds more material than the other brands...(per Sunny Brook). I visited w/ Gerald...wow, this guy can get just as technical as you desire..he is pictured in SBs article. http://www.sunnybrookwelding.com/cwestory.pdf

I sure do not want to misrepresent any of the info. that was told to me, so I will quit right there. If you have a question in particular, I will try to answer it...sure not trying to know it all..just eager to help if I can.. All three makers told me that they sometimes visit this Forum and other forums. They also said (and I think this is commendable) that they do not 'add' to the conversation, in fear of 'advertising without paying'.
I ultimately went with the St. John. I did not go with this just because it was cheaper. In fact, by the time I send my exchange back to them, it is gonna be about a wash with the Loewen. I do not think a person could go very wrong with any of these brands. These guys have really thought it out, and are trying their best to make us a long-life concave. The hard surfacing is [one of the most important] key ingredient(s), no doubt...
txfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

You know TX 2 years ago I bought a sunnybrooke solid cylinder with boronized bars for my 9650 walker and finally am getting a chance to put it in this season. I was actually holding off for a couple of seasons to get full use of my original concave so that I can try sunnys concave. The guys there told me they were working on one when I bought my cylinder that I will be able to change the front bars in the concave withought removal. I thought what a great Idea and hoped that they would continue research and development on that item. this is the year I think Im gonna go for it. They also told me after I bought my cylinder that JD has the market on their cylinder and bar sets BUT the crappy thing is all the JD dealers within a 300 mile radius of us have never even heard of sunnybrooke nor do they advertise or offer these parts. I explained to the guy from sunny about this once I started to rehash plans on thier concave in my 50 and he seemed a little shocked at first but I can imagine they have more business than they need anyway. As far as the cylinder and boronized bars, it looks very promising and I cant wait to run it this season. rotary deflector, or beater looks good too.
davedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I personally feel the method of haveing the pinch point of the concave at bar 9 works so well it is astounding compared to having it at the rear. You never have to adjust the rear this way any more once it is set.

Having replaceable front 2 bars is nice, but the rest get out of shape too, and will need replacement as well. This is not a good fix for a worn concave. Pinch point is also a wear spot. I believe the st. john idea of hard surfacing will give the greatest return/dollar spent. Mr. Welch has a wealth of real world experience in this matter, and I would trust his judgement. Good luck..
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

The front four bars are replaceable not the front two. Some points to bring up also are the fact that center feeding needs to be addressed with guys who pick up winrows. Im planning on putting in my sunny solid cylinder in conjunction with their concave and am not concerned with center wear with the non flexing solid cylinder and all my crops are standing.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have to agree with the with the 9th bar pinch being better. Pinching in the rear is old school, 20 series. Davedan, there's something wrong with the Deere dealers in your area. When I was working at Deere we were made full aware of Sunnybrook's alliance with Deere and there were regular price breaks on these products to help promote them. I have always had good luck with the SB products. Wouldn't be scared of Loewen, either. But some aftermarket companies sell used Deere concaves rebuilt as their own and this is wrong. The way the bars get built up does not allow the concave to follow the cylinder correctly. I have tried to level these concaves in the combine and can never get them 100% true.

I prefer the black rasp bars for rocky conditions because they will bend but not crack or break like chrome and they are also cheaper. Sure, they don't last as long, but I have some customers that only put on 120 separator hours a year and they will last for many years.

Btw, the 9660WTS has a nice rasp bar. The rasps are about 50% deeper and more agressive. I'm going to do some research to see if they will fit a 9600/10/50
greentech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Greentech, Your absolutley right. Dealers here SUCK! Ive been harvesting for only 10 years buy I am third generation in my family to take on custom harvesting and have yet to have any local dealers who can help or even make a sale on grain equipment here. We have the Kern Machinery stores,, North South and West Kern here in our areas. None of the stores even carry so much as an air filter for either of my machines, but when it comes to hard parts,, forget it I have to stock all my own parts to keep from any downtime. Ive spent near half a mil on equipment the last 5 years and each time I needed a peice of equipment for my business I gave these dealerships a first shot and heads up on what I was looking for. I didnt even so much as get a phone call back from any salesman. SO I went out of state to purhase.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Read with interest this discussion and need more advice on a problem installing my new Lowen concave into my JD9600. When I attempt to level it, everything works until you get to the top right hand side. Then I run out of adjustment and at that point my concave is digging into the right hand side of the machine. Has anyone else had this installation problem? Thanks for replies!
harvester01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Holy old thread revived! Do you have the factory support plate behind your concave adjusting eyebolts? If so that's probably your issue. The tab on the top often prevents enough adjustment of concave. You can either grind the tab away or just use a large flat washer instead of the support plate. When I level a concave I set all 4 corners to 1/8 inch gap and then close with concave motor until it ticks, then open slightly and set the stop on the front right.
greentech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. What I did was take the tab out and throw it away, but I didn't put a washer in....I'll go back and put the washer in. Good to hear from somebody who knows what he's talking about! Thanks again.
harvester01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

I recently had the opprtunity to visit with the great people at Sunnybrook Welding.
Gerald and Terry were good enough to listen to what I did to
increase the thresh on a Deere concave in a 7720, and yes this was a long time ago. I think I got their attention.
There is absolutely no reason to run filler plates in the newer low
wire concaves to do wheat in the Deere walker combines, all you
are doing is creating walker loss by blanking off, in some cases,
one third of the concave separating area.
In the 7720 with the Deere stock concave I welded in 1/4" flat
iron pieces vertically between the segments in the first three rows UNDER THE WIRES. This increased the thresh plus it let
the material through rather than running it back and up onto the walkers. As anyone who combines where there are mole hills can tell you, the dirt plugs filler plates which make them useless.
If I was running a walker combine with the newer low wire style
concaves I would have rod welded in across the full width of the concave in the first 3 rows, these have to be lower than the cross bars so the material is held there so the rub bars can do their job.
With this style concave in the 7720 it was hard to believe how I could do wheat at night. I realize this may not be suitable in all crops, it sure worked for me.
I'm no engineer but have been blessed with common sense.
Jim
michaelshawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.