7700 engine into a 4020 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
You are correct in saying there is two different pump arrangements for the 404.

The Turbo Built versions have the larger water pump. He did not specify that this is a turbo model, so while perhaps it was wrong of me to do so, I assumed he was referring to the non turbo model which is a different block entirely from the Turbo Built ones. The actual age of this engine can also determine compatibility as well. There were big changes made in 1969 that effected the tractor engines and more again later involving combine engines as well. There is much more information needed to say one way or the other.
I was 20 years late to the 404 update party I wonder what all is different on them? Physical castings different, that basically just share internals and have the same bell housing pattern? Or just more subtle but still significant changes?

Bruce
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

if its a 7720 turbo you will have to either change water pumps and front dampner.

if its an early 4020 and a turbo engine you will have to do some modification to the number 6 exhaust manifold port or the hydraulic valves with rub on the manifold.

if its a turbo you will have to bubble the hood or make new intake and exhaust manifolds that put the turbo down on the side.

get an oil pan from a 4430 bolts right on.

the 4020 fly wheel fits right on.
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

The 7700 is a fairly early model. The engine is a turbo. It's beginning to sound like it might be easier to just kit the tractor engine. Thanks for all the info
tjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

i helped a fellow technician do this swap several years ago. I don't know the age of either machine, but it was pretty easy to do. Our biggest issues were we had to knotch the block for some linkages and had to modify the exhaust manifold to fit under the scv's.
ststech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

to make the swap the easiest you could put the manifolds, water pump, front pully and dampner. from the 4020 to the transplant engine.
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

That doesn't sound too bad then. Thanks.
tjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.