grain tank liners - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default grain tank liners

I just looked at an 01 9650w (for sale) and noticed the grain tank had poly liners in the auger troughs. The machine has about 1700 sep hrs and looks pretty good otherwise. It looks to me the auger troughs had worn completly through before the liners were installed--in other words, you could see the damage from underneath the machine. Is this something to be concerned about or is this normal? Is this normal for a machine with 1700 hrs? The man said these liners were installed with self threading screws. So what happens when these poly liners wear through? How many hours can you expect them to last. Anything else I need to look for if I am interested in this machine? Your opinions are appreciated, especially if you have more sense than this old farmer.
gabo56570 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

How does the rest of the combine look for wear? clean grain elevator and cross auger tubes, feeder house floor and bubble up auger in the grain tank are they wore bad or replaced? It doesnt seen right that the hopper cross augers should have wore out the floor in those few hours, even if the only thing it did was peas. Are the hours accurate? Wilkie sales in Regina sells the liners. Where Abouts are you located?
V876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm from south Georgia. The elevator housings look good as I remember. Now that you mention it, I didn't examine the other augers as I usually do. It could have been the grain bin bottoms just rotted out due to negligence. The current owner has had the machine for 5 yrs. The feeder house floor has been replaced. I can see the spot welds from underneath. I asked about these spot welds--he says this is to hold the floor as flat as possible. Is this common for floor replacements? I will have to look in a little more detail on the other augers. I noticed a serious weld on the unloading auger elbow where a four bolt small plate is mounted --on the outside if the auger is pulled in. I didn't examine the plate to see it's function. The man said that weld had been done for some time and they had had no problem since it was done.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have never seen the poly liners in my area all of them have stainless steel ones. Because of corn seems like the auger is always on. It also is very common to see the elbow cracked on 20 foot augers, I welded mine and seems to be fine since than. The thing to look closely at in my opinion is the chafer frame for cracks, can brake right in two if left to long. Good luck. 986 ont
986 ont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had the dealer put poly in the floor of my 9600 before they brought it out. I think if the machine sat outside a lot the water may have rotted some of the floor.
rfruth45890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had a 9650W. By 1700 hours I had replaced all 5 unloading augers, the unload tube, lined under the bin augers with stainless steel, and replaced the loading auger twice. It wasn't rot, as the combine was sheded when not in use.

These machines unload pretty slow unless you speed up the augers. In corn with a grain cart, about 1/3 of the header time was required for unload time. 1700 separator hours is over 500 hours of unload time.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default 986 ont

Can you examine the chaffer frame without taking the chaffer out? Exactly where would frame be cracking, one point or multiple points. I'm familiar with case ih--fairly easy to remove chaffers or sieves--seen them break front, middle, and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.