The Combine Forum banner

How well do you sleep?

11K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  361turbo 
#1 ·
I am poor sleeper and wake up early. Looking at the time of many posts, I'm not alone. How many hours of sleep do members generally get?

#3 ·
I used to be able to sleep almost standing up, but that was before we had kids,my wife helps on the farm as much as she can so I'm having to feed the little one when she wakes in the night. She is awake for a bottle twice if not three times over night. It's not every time I feed her but I try to do as much as I can so mum can get so rest as well. Usually in bed by midnight and up by seven so I do ok for sleep minus the bottle feeding time. I've been told it's a great bonding experience and to cherish this time lol sure hope so because some nights get pretty short during busy times. Stress is my sleep killer. Usually the weather is main one and how it's going to impact my crops,so mr weatherman get your act together and make a better effort to get it right,all us farmer are weather effected and make big dollar descions on hearing your forecast.

#5 ·
Last Gen Farmer hit it right on the head, I used to sleep like a rock before we had kids, that was 23 years ago...

Ridge, that is the sickest part of the whole situation whether it's a mistake I made while driving ten years ago to something I said yesterday some things the mind refuses to let go of.

Funny thing is weather is not a problem, that being said not getting something done before weather sets in is.

#8 ·
From 12-7 I'm asleep probably 60% of the time. I have a TV in my room, I leave it on, it's helps quiet the ramblings in my mind. I wouldn't say I worry, at least not about things that are out of my control. But Ya stupid things, like a bottle drive for my kids hockey team.. ????!??? Why???!??

#9 ·
Well guys I am in bed for about 7 hours and used to feel I probably got 5+ of actual sleep until my wife had me do a sleep study " she felt I snored too much " imagine . The result was that a normal person comes out of deep sleep 5 - 6 times an hour I was at 60 so was realistically getting about 2 hours of use full sleep . I now use a c-pac machine every night , yes a pain in the ass but 0 snoring and normal sleep . It's amazing how much better your brain operates with sleep , and yes I need every little bit of it as with some of us it is a limited resource .

#12 ·
I often get a sort of sleep apnea during and harvest and seeding just from handling seed and crops. The dust off flax and peas and other crops often irritates and closes my sinuses for a few weeks at a time until I am out of the dust for a while, then it all goes back to normal. So the times I need my best sleep I am usually not getting it.

I tested a CPAP machine to help out but I got claustrophobia the minute I put it on. Its like sleeping with a diving mask on.

#15 ·
I used to sleep great and never needed much of it, until I had monsters, oops I mean kids! Now I'm always tired and never get a good sleep. Who ever came up with the saying "sleep like a baby" didn't have kids like mine! Unless they meant it to mean waking up every couple of hours, crying and soaked in their own pi$$! When I had my first kid she was very collic, it was four months before I got to sleep for a 4 hour stretch, 3 years before she slept through the night. Worries don't keep me up, but my kids do!

#18 ·
Not like I used to, that is for sure... Once upon a time I could sleep through almost anything, now it seems any time a kid rolls over in the other room I wake up. Wife can sleep through everything just fine. Maybe get 4-6 hrs. sleep or sometimes even less but don't get tired as much as I used to years ago either. Not hard at all for me to work a night shift either, did a few of those this past summer and was way less tired than I thought I would be. I rarely drink anything with caffeine in it, most of the time that just makes me more tired. Weather doesn't keep me up much unless it is storming out but staying awake or going back to sleep won't make any difference if it causes crop damage, can't do much about it during the night.

Our kids were great, maybe a month old and could sleep most of the night, got lucky in that department. Bad enough the first few nights when they have day/nights mixed up can't imagine what it is like to have a kid with colic.

#19 ·
I sleep like a rock, usually 12 to 6 my wife who puts up with my snoring on the other hand lol. My issue is when putting my kid to bed after reading a story I'll doze off and sleep for an hour or so, then I'm up till 3. My wife works night shifts half the time. When she's home I don't wake up when the kids wake in the night but when she's working I seem to hear. Issues don't keep me up too long unless it's something real serious. Consider myself pretty lucky in the sleep department.

#22 ·
I am usually horizontal for 7-8 hrs and less if it's seeding or harvest and as a rule I can still sleep quite well unless I have a night cap before bed or a coffee late in the day. I sometimes do my best problem solving in my sleep. I get my best sleep if i go to bed looking forward to tomorrow.

#23 ·
I sleep decent about 3/4's of the time, then there's nights I don't sleep hardly at all....until it's 5:30 and time to get up, and that makes for a miserable day. There are stretches where that ratio is reversed. It was really bad a few years ago, and I did a sleep study. It said I was fine???

#24 ·
Went about a decade in my mid twenties when I couldn't get more than a few hours sleep a night. Too much crap rolling through a guy's head at night about the farm, off farm job etc.
Late night carousing all the time when a guy was single didn't help much either.
Went to a sleep clinic and they straightened it out.

Now use doctor prescribed sleeping pills on the nights when you know you are not going to sleep well. Usually when busy on the farm at harvest and seeding is when a guy can't sleep, so I use them nightly during those seasons. Pound one of them bad boys at night and its lala land for me.

#25 ·
I took sleeping pills once for a bout of insomnia 15yrs ago after a death in the family. They workd but not in the way I wanted. The sleep felt unnatural, coma like, so much so that I got scared to close my eye thinking I wont wake up.

I use some natural products now to help me drift off and stay asleep. Magnesium and a vitamin B supplement called BCalm. Magnesium is a natural relaxant and helps to stay sharp. Vitamin B helps calm stress.

#26 ·
After the kids are in bed, I find myself getting pretty sleepy (9 or 10). I go get in bed and I'm now wide awake so I pick something off the DVR to watch. By the first commercial I'm a goner.

About midnight or 1 I wake up wide awake and decide to go see what i missed on that DVR show, queue it up again and forward it to where I remember leaving off.

About 5 seconds later I'm out for the count again and probably wake up around 4. Or my alarm is going off at 5.

Took me probably 6 tries to get through the premier of Gold Rush this weekend.

-noacres

#27 ·
Hello Everybody ,

I'm Jospeh from Newsody, France - I 'm a young international business developer in Europe - Africa - Middle-East and working on a side project of News Agregation.
Talking about how well do i sleep, it depends on how i am before going to bed.
•Getting tired the whole day -> i go to sleep at midnight
• Drunk => Error :D
• Insomoniac => i breath deeply and sleep

I don't have too much dreams, i get some when i'm drunk or when i eat much :D

#29 ·
The last two years I have found it really hard to get a full night sleep as I like to sleep on my side and I am getting arthritis in my shoulders . I used to sleep on a waterbed with my arm under the pillow but got rid of the waterbed many years ago and now sleep just on the side but after a couple of hours the shoulder starts to hurt and you are turning over . Also started to get sweats at night with just a light blanket on -- can't figure that one out . And yes sometimes I wake up wide awake worrying about nothing at all -- just great getting old !!

#33 ·
I'm a very light sleeper so the tv running or any caffeine after 4 pm is a mistake. I find sleeping pills made me drouzy the next day so I avoid them. What I have found that I occasionally use if I'm getting a cold is the little nite packets of Cold FX (mix them in water like Neo-Citron)... sleep like a baby even when I'm getting stuffed up. Kids are all grown and out of the house so I can't blame them... just the demons in my head.

#34 ·
I was having problems getting a good night's rest. I could go to bed at 10:00, wake up at 6:00 and ready for a nap by 7:00. If I sat down during the day I'd take a nap. Even had to stop the tractor a few times to get a short nap. I was snoring very loud every night. I could even hear myself snore as I was falling asleep. Then in December I had a sleep study done. My oxygen levels were dropping below 80% while sleeping. They put a Cpap on me for a few hours during the study. The next morning I felt more rested than I had for a long time. Since I started using a Cpap I can usually go without a nap unless I'm really running hard. Even if I only use it two hours I feel much better. The wife sleeps better now too since I'm not snoring anymore.

#37 ·
This was my situation also. I would nap after lunch and if I was a passenger in a vechile, would sleep like a baby. It got to the point where I would fight to stay awake in the tractor. Then I went and did a sleep study and got a Cpap machine. It was suggested I use a full face mask and it was the most annoying thing every. After a week or so, I got used to it and it changed my life. I'm serious. I rarely nap and get full nights sleep.

Getting a Cpap machine was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was a game changer for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.