The Combine Forum banner

Location please!!!

13K views 67 replies 36 participants last post by  flatfoot 
#1 ·
This problem never seems to go away and, in fact, seems to be getting worse.:frown: Guys, you need to fill in the location in your profile. It takes a minute to do, go to:
>USER CP (at top of page when logged in)
>Edit your details
>Scroll about 3/4 down the page and fill in "Location"

It's that easy!:eek:k:

Maybe you think people know where you are from because you posted it 3 days ago or 300 days ago, but most of us can't keep track of that. What I can keep track of is that almost every time I come on here there is some discussion about "my conditions" or "it snowed and my wheat is flat" or even items for sale......and no location. I think guys would get more help with their problems and less threads would get de-railed if we only had some context on things. I think a state or province should be mandatory, but the town you live near would be great to have as well.

Thanks in advance.:smile:

#10 ·
"Those" bad influences had me just about swayed ... I was debating, do I put Tuktoyaktuk or Baffin Island, but alas it was too much work to remember to change it back, so instead with your prompting I'd give a general idea as to where in this Province which is almost as large as Texas ... guess I always figured most would get the gist of my name that I'm not a hop away from Montana.

#19 ·
Hi...I'm one of your lurkers here..I generally
Don't have to much to say.... Im a older farmer
And am alittle apprehensive about posting ...I have tried the odd time...maybe I'll get braver
Learning new tricks seems a little harder as you get older...but I keep tying..I'm slowly doing things in farming that I thought I would never do ..had a young aggrologist at my input dealer last year that I jokenly told them that he was trying to make a farmer out of me
...I enjoy reading your posts and getting info and ideas...thanks...

#34 ·
Hey thanks for posting! I don't think age or what type of a farm you run should necessarily be a barrier to contributing on this forum. In fact, older farmers often have more wisdom and perspective that can be very valuable indeed. In the end you need to feel comfortable about what you write, however much or little that may be.:wink:

#20 ·
I have to google search locations to try and get the picture sometimes. Gradually working out Canada =up the top and snow plus a **** of a lot of lakes on the map California = middle left and ratbag legislation Texas =down the bottom. Not many roads = no one there.
Great bunch on here I will let you figure out where the Wimmera is (clue try Australia)

#21 ·
Closest I'll put is the region I am in but it already narrows it down a lot for our state. Big difference between the top NW part of the state and the bottom SE section as to what crops are grown, a total world apart that is for sure. On this little gem of a map I saved from FB a long time ago I'm on the edge of flat and nothing, straight up from the west edge of corn...

Attachments

#23 ·
The drunk Indians gets me a little....

I have never seen a sober one so.... how could someone lable them as drunk? I actually should say "Indians" or even "healthy indians"

Know the difference between a dead Indian and a dog on the road is? Skid marks on the road!
Why do Indians like AT&T? Because they have more bars in more places!
An Indian picks up a woman on the side of the road and to thank him she offers him a blow job.... Indian slams on the brakes and throws her out of the car, yells as he speeds away "Me want NO job!"

#22 ·
SWMan, ironically even though you do list the town your near, like me you didn't list the country and then it hit me as I am reading what Don said and noted he has every detail spelled out and no abbreviations. I don't know why I assumed everyone should know Alberta is in Canada as after all in whatever travels I've done in the past in just the US there were various times people never had a clue where this mysterious province was, had never heard of it, only when I said "Canada" did anything register.

#33 ·
Well I didn't realize that the abbreviated MB was a barrier to anyone knowing my location, even if they don't know where Canada is. Whenever I see a piece of equipment for sale or some other thing with a location unknown to me I just Google it, takes a few seconds and gives a map that you can click on and zoom back out for perspective.

For example, I Googled my location exactly as it appears in my profile and this is what I get: https://www.google.ca/search?q=kill...I7GGLL_en&gfe_rd=cr&ei=rYBmWM3VNszz8weNpJ6oCg Tells everything except how high our property taxes are and how much snow we have. If more detail is needed I can add Canada no problem but didn't think it was necessary. If someone doesn't know MB is a Canadian province and is too lazy to Google it then chances are they wouldn't know where it was on the map anyways even if I did put Killarney, Manitoba, Canada, Western/Northern Hemisphere, Earth......

Reactions: albertabuck and NVW
#24 ·
I'm not that familiar with that part of the state but yeah they do have a very large reservation in that area. Not a place you would want to be after dark according to a guy I knew back in college who was from the area. The area around the cities is about spot on though, the rich folks live on the west edge by the lakes, bad drivers in the other two spots but if you ever been on Lake street you would know why the center is labeled "ghetto".

#25 ·
Not that I still really know much about MN other then its the land of 10000 lakes but I had to laugh as I looked at the map and realized where I had driven, it went like this:

I started out in the land of Hockey and Santa Claus, then across into ice and snow ( literally, it was winter ), from there I went south and through the Drunk Indians, along the northern area of Lakes and Trees, right next to the Iron Range, then south in the Lakes and Trees again ... finally caught the edge of Bad Drivers and then straight over some little creek although not named on that map and into the Cheeseheads.

#28 · (Edited)
I use to have my home town on my location on the forum, I made some derogatory comment about a piece of equipment I owned and within several days I had a call from my local dealer. Now we are about as far away from De Moins as one can get, so for you know who, to track me down, made me think I needed to be a little more obscure...

#29 · (Edited)
I agree! I don`t think it is either wise or necessary to give out specific locations on a public forum. It can come back to bite you at a later date, for reasons as yet unpredictable. However, if a thread topic is location specific then it may be pertinent to give more specific detail to help other posters relate to the issue.

#38 ·
I couldn't agree with you more about the location issue . The one thing that I have noticed is that there are no posters from south America and few from Europe or Asia . I think that it would be interesting to get their opinion on ag in the world not that this forum would be the ideal location .

#39 ·
One thing that I tend to think prevents those from some countries to contribute to this particular forum even if they had stumbled across it ... anyone care to take a guess ? .... its language, simply put we are all speaking English and I'd be the first one to point out that even though Canada has two official languages, I don't know squat about speaking or understanding French and I never will ....

So no doubt there are probably forums or could be in other languages that we will never sign up on either as most of us can't understand Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Punjabi, Swahili and on and on ...

#42 ·
I know for me that omission of Alberta says a few things, that they either can't remember the name of the province or that they are simply minimizing it as in little importance, or that he knows those around him are about as intelligent as himself so only recognize "Canada" and little else. Of course any of these irks we shake our heads at are of people who would never even look at a forum like this.

I've probably mentioned before but if anyone looks into a Rand McNally map book that is of a combined US/Canada/Mexico design, only the full non detailed country map of Canada shows it all as it is, otherwise each individual page map has the northern 1/3 of all the western provinces cut off as though they are of NO importance and that no one would ever think of driving there. Flip through the US states and for example they take Texas because of its size and make up two pages to fit it onto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.