The Combine Forum banner

Who made Volvo batteries around 2000?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  stevie 
#1 ·
We have batteries from 2000, branded Volvo, that are still working fine after all these years. Anyone know who made them? (if a picture is needed, i will get one)

#7 ·
The heat down there is what kills them. I had family that would winter in Arizona and such, and would either drive back and forth or leave a vehicle in storage down there and had nothing but grief with batteries never lasting as they would here in the Great White North.

#9 ·
As long as a battery is in good shape in the cold climates and isn't being drawn down when not in use such as disconnecting the batteries for example, its almost like they are in a state of hibernation as a way of explaining it. The problem is the cranking power drops off an awful lot when the battery is cold because of the chemical reactions that dwindle with cold, also that the battery has to warm up enough by the charging process to even begin to start taking a charge. Like Alberta Buck said, hot climates are just murder on a battery as they can't seem to hold a charge either if a unit sits for a length of time even if the battery was disconnected. I don't know if those insanely expensive dry/gel cell units are any better in such situations.

Remember too that some equipment has inherent draw if the battery is connected and if its not used often enough it keeps drawing it down and causing damage over time to the battery plates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.