The Combine Forum banner

What is the temperature range of a good bearing?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  X80 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity, what is the temperature range of a bearing while it is running? Thanks.

#4 ·
Depends if its near a gearbox etc so heat getting transferred through shaft, but if on its own, 60 degrees c is max, 35-40 degrees c would be nice..basically shower temperature...also depends on ambient...those figures are for say an 25 degree c day....

Once gear boxes and any torsional loading is introduced its much higher naturally.

IMO

Ant...

#5 ·
When programming trip setpoints on motor protection relays using 95 deg c was typical for roller bearings and lower for babbit bearings.

Found this article saying 200f so pretty close to 95 c. You definitely have a problem when these temps are reached.

What's normal: The role of temperature in bearing applications | Evolution Online

This is for relatively high speed bearings but as the article says the limiting factor is lubrication so even on a 300 rpm shaft you should be able to run 60 deg c all day long. But in reality past history is a good indication of future performance therefore if you can normally hold your hand on it (say 45 deg c) then it gets too hot to touch (say 70 deg c) then you likely have a problem. Where as a large motor or pump bearing may run 65 deg c throughout its lifetime. So the fall back response is "consult bearing manufacturer" if you want to know ultimate limits.

#8 ·
id like to know too. on my combine most of them ran in the 60 degree C range, with a few up near the engine at low 70's. did this with a temp gun at after the first hour harvest, and they all lasted the season

SKF's website says they are good until 100-120 C. Temperature limits

From what I have been able to research and figure out by my own experience, a bearing thats good and tight on the shaft, spins free, and around the 60ish degree mark is good to go. lots of variables tho.

#10 ·
The temperature will depend on the load, size, and amount of grease in it. A lot of sealed bearings when new have very little grease in them. One farmer mentioned to me that since he started putting grease in them with a needle fitting and rea sealing the hole with silicone when he changes them he has replaced a lot less bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.