Auction Sale Prices are Crazy! - The Combine Forum

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Auction Sale Prices are Crazy!

So Ive been to a few sales this spring and everything is going for 2X what I think it should go for. I just can't believe that guys are paying this much money for used equipment. Do guys not look at the stuff before they buy? Anybody else finding that these spring sales are NUTS? It's very frustrating.
Examples:
2006 TV145 Bi Directional Tractor with Loader and 3pth - Thought it would go for $75,000 - Went for $101,000
2004 Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Truck with only 2WD - Thought it would go for $15,000-$18,000 - Went for $27,500
2004 Chevrolet Tandem axle Grain truck with duramax and automatic - Thought it would go for $75,000 - went for $105,000
80's Chevrolet Single axle Grain truck - Thought it would go for $5000-$7000 - Went for $23,000
3 new 9.5L-15 tires on old Flexicoil rims - Thought it would go for $400-$500 - went for $900
2004 JCB 160NL excavator with 4500 hours and thumb - Thought it would go for $35,000-$40,000 - Went for $59,000
40 foot CI cultivator - Thought it would go for $3000 - Went for $10,000

And this is only a few, I have seen 100 more like this already this spring.

torriem and kenmb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
I'm guessing guys are looking at "NEW" and the price they are asking for them , and doesn't matter what it is !! The quality and longevity just isn't there anymore !! Nobody builds anything to last anymore , if they did that they wouldn't sell another one !!

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
It's been like this for years here in Manitoba, not unheard of for stuff 3-4 years old sell for more than new. This is why I seldom waste my time at auctions except for coffee and a visit. Maybe it's starting to spread your way.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Have you seen the price of new? This was inevitable. I actually think there's more room to go up yet. The Canadian dollar is to blame pure and simple. On the flip side it's been keeping our incomes higher so it's just the price we pay. It's a better situation to be in than the guys south of the border. Good time to run your equipment longer.
bfl2008, Grainline and SWMan like this.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Not really much different than ever. If you go to the sale prepared to take a machine home don't be surprised when someone else shows up with the same plan.
BoSoT likes this.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Equipment here is being given away......
Only small items bring fair money, anything of large value just goes back home. The economy here is for sure the worst I have ever seen it.....

God Bless America
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauppfarms View Post
Have you seen the price of new? This was inevitable. I actually think there's more room to go up yet. The Canadian dollar is to blame pure and simple. On the flip side it's been keeping our incomes higher so it's just the price we pay. It's a better situation to be in than the guys south of the border. Good time to run your equipment longer.
That is mostly true but it surprises me when guys pay new price for a 5 year old auger. They must not do there homework before bidding. Same as a used grain trailer....seen 3-4 year old ones sell for only a couple grand less then new.

I know of a dealer around us buying tractors from the states bringing them up and selling for less then auction prices. They said dealers south of the border just need cash.....not a good situation
alta66 likes this.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Equipment here is being given away......
Only small items bring fair money, anything of large value just goes back home. The economy here is for sure the worst I have ever seen it.....
Here low end stuff is hot but big ticket items are in the tank. Couple weeks ago magnum 290, full load, GPS rtk unlock, showroom immaculate condition no sold at $103,000. Can't blame the guy.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I'm not in the market for big ticket stuff but it always amazes me how cattle handling equipment consistently goes for more than new price. Obviously people don't price new before they buy. Ritchie's sells a bunch of freestanding panels at every sale. The place those panels come from sells them for $300 or less. At the sales they go for way more. Another is old gates and panels at farm auctions. There are times but very seldom when you can get a deal.
meskie likes this.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
I'm not in the market for big ticket stuff but it always amazes me how cattle handling equipment consistently goes for more than new price. Obviously people don't price new before they buy. Ritchie's sells a bunch of freestanding panels at every sale. The place those panels come from sells them for $300 or less. At the sales they go for way more. Another is old gates and panels at farm auctions. There are times but very seldom when you can get a deal.
Those old gates and panels are experienced. They know how to keep cows in. U always pay more for experience.

adsinaus, chance2, TSIPP and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page