The Combine Forum banner

Auction Sale Prices are Crazy!

22K views 78 replies 33 participants last post by  IHC560 
#1 ·
So Ive been to a few sales this spring and everything is going for 2X what I think it should go for. I just can't believe that guys are paying this much money for used equipment. Do guys not look at the stuff before they buy? Anybody else finding that these spring sales are NUTS? It's very frustrating.
Examples:
2006 TV145 Bi Directional Tractor with Loader and 3pth - Thought it would go for $75,000 - Went for $101,000
2004 Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Truck with only 2WD - Thought it would go for $15,000-$18,000 - Went for $27,500
2004 Chevrolet Tandem axle Grain truck with duramax and automatic - Thought it would go for $75,000 - went for $105,000
80's Chevrolet Single axle Grain truck - Thought it would go for $5000-$7000 - Went for $23,000
3 new 9.5L-15 tires on old Flexicoil rims - Thought it would go for $400-$500 - went for $900
2004 JCB 160NL excavator with 4500 hours and thumb - Thought it would go for $35,000-$40,000 - Went for $59,000
40 foot CI cultivator - Thought it would go for $3000 - Went for $10,000

And this is only a few, I have seen 100 more like this already this spring.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing guys are looking at "NEW" and the price they are asking for them , and doesn't matter what it is !! The quality and longevity just isn't there anymore !! Nobody builds anything to last anymore , if they did that they wouldn't sell another one !!:5:

#3 ·
It's been like this for years here in Manitoba, not unheard of for stuff 3-4 years old sell for more than new. This is why I seldom waste my time at auctions except for coffee and a visit. Maybe it's starting to spread your way.

#7 ·
That is mostly true but it surprises me when guys pay new price for a 5 year old auger. They must not do there homework before bidding. Same as a used grain trailer....seen 3-4 year old ones sell for only a couple grand less then new.

I know of a dealer around us buying tractors from the states bringing them up and selling for less then auction prices. They said dealers south of the border just need cash.....not a good situation

#9 ·
I'm not in the market for big ticket stuff but it always amazes me how cattle handling equipment consistently goes for more than new price. Obviously people don't price new before they buy. Ritchie's sells a bunch of freestanding panels at every sale. The place those panels come from sells them for $300 or less. At the sales they go for way more. Another is old gates and panels at farm auctions. There are times but very seldom when you can get a deal.

#34 ·
WTF is up with the prices at the RB sale at Luseland today? An 8465 Case IH baler for $10500? I sold a 565A Hesston last year with a completely rebuild pickup, gathering wheels and ready to hit the field for $5000, same baler. They sold a 8465 at the consignment sale last week for $4000. I'm happy for the farmer, he did well on his equipment but its so strange how the prices can be so out to lunch from one sale to the next. 3hp aeration fans on Saturday went for $100 and today they went for $700, a week ago they went $300 and what's with people spending $2000 plus on 300 to 700 bushel hopper bins when 2000 bushel bins sell for $4000? His 40 foot max 1 drill with a 7240 tank went for more than the 55 foot max 1 with the 8425 tank last week and the 8425 is a way better tank. Just call me confused.

#38 ·
It should be about the same, just the newer model with different electronics. Ran an CX8080 on some spring flax a couple years ago, nice machine, liked the monitors better. I think they offered it to us for a little over the $160000 mark but we didn't want to spend that much.

#42 ·
All borrowed money, well see how this all plays out, when the record planted canola acres expected this year (more than wheat, first time in Sask history), plays out, when canola hit a new low at harvest.
My one and only young farming neighbor is up to his neck in debt from spending sprees. I hope i am not alone in 2018 with the hutterites just moving into the area. He!! has frozen over.

#64 ·
Well, back to the topic. Ahem! Yes auction sale prices are all over the map. I was looking for a drill this spring. Found the right size and fair shape unit with everything I wanted. Tow between NH3. It was somebody we knew who had his stuff at the sale. 51' flexi. I figured that was the right fit for our operation. I was watching stuff sell 2 hrs before it got to this drill. Some stuff sold high some low. Depended who wanted what. The row before the drill I wanted had a really nice 4350 tow behind and a nice drill in front. Cart was mint and the drill needed 3-4 5" packer rubbers and there was a bunch of parts to go with it. Really nice unit but 57' and lived in a shed with just like new paint. i watched it sell for $25000. Thought to myself that is cheap and I could run dry instead and avoid the wait for NH3 trucks to deliver this year. But all those thoughts came too late and the hammer fell. I figured it might be to big for my tractor as well. The auction truck finally makes the bend onto this farmers dispersal with the drill and peoples hands go up like nuts all the way down the row. He even commented to me after the sale wow did I make out good. His drill went for $42000 I think. Tractor he bought 8 yrs previously he got what he paid for it. An old 450 grain cart never shedded with hydraulic drive and a centre auger with bald tires for 12-13000. Why his stuff caused such a frenzy I will never know. Anyways I haved kicked myself ever since for not buying the 57'. Not to say that i would have got it for 26 but someone took home a steal of a deal. Yorkton auction sale I went. Drills went nuts IMO. So my friend has a real nice 5710 for sale and he has nice stuff. I tell him we will take his drill but has no cart. It is set up for tow between. Bourgault tow betweens are next to impossible to find wow! Finally found an old 4300 tow between that was almost as much as the entire 57' drill I missed. I learned my lesson. Be prepared to buy anything and think about your options. That deal right in front of you that you let go will haunt you lol.

#68 ·
Sorry to get back on topic...
JD 9600 combines at RB. A bunch with over 5000 hours selling for close to $50,000. Highest 9600 was $66,000 That seems high compared to what newer combines have been selling for? Or do they never wear out, no matter how many hours?
Yesterday at Mannville, a 1973 White 1870 sold for $11,000. On propane, perhaps a collectors item? About 10 times more than I thought it would go for.
80 foot FC tine harrows(not heavy harrows) sold for over $15000 locally. Apparently not obsolete after all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.