The Combine Forum banner

2017 Custom Harvesting

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pascal 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site. I was offered a position on a harvest crew over the summer. I just graduated and thought it would be a great experience. What is everyones thoughts? I had many guys offer me a combine operator position since ive been on a farm all my life. I decided to go with Dennis Sykora (Sykora Harvesting) Does anyone know how his crew is? What should i pack desides clothes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Pack a computer and camera perhaps a drone and anything that you would want for down time to keep you occupied on rainy days or anything that you would want in the combine like a cooler phone charger and be prepared to use your own music on your phone Incase you don't like the music on the radio where you are at I personally never been on a harvest crew but know a few that have they loved it but said it's long hard days

#3 ·
I like to bring my own gears. Coveralls, work glasses, dust mask, work gloves, knife, Milwaukee battery cordless grease gun, Milwaukee cordless vacuum cleaner, universal steering wheel spinner knob, wipes and of course the California duster.
Do not neglect nutrition: right nutrition goes a long way for your stamina and concentration.
I like to sip green tea during break time. Easy to make with water and powder. This keeps me alert without the hyper and crash thing. Also don't forget to stretch during the break.
Find out about the combine you are going to operate and research online information. Study operation and maintenance.
Your boss will trust you with a half a million dollars machine. Feel honored and be respectful.
Enjoy your summer harvest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.