Big Balers - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big Balers

Looking at getting a used big baler. Hesston 4900 or 4910 I have heard good things about. What do you look for on a used baler to tell how worn it is. How many bales is considered too many. Seen some over 40,000 and one as high as 70,000. Also, how do new holland CNH hold up? Would consider a 3x4 also.
wafarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 4900 Hesston. It is the first big square baler I've had. My first year impression is that they are an exceptionally well designed baler. If they have been in a dealer maintenance program I don't think the bale count is the most important thing. I suggest looking at several and compare, you'll soon see what you don't want.

The very early 4900's are somewhat hand fabricated. The main gearbox is fabricated rather than a casting, that's fine. However the plunger connecting rods have the load cells fabricated inside and are not serviceable. These control the bale chamber pressure. It's very hard to tell if they work until you get to a windrow. They can be made to function with one not working but you won't have windrow guidance. The older connecting rod is $3'300 each but the later ones are $1'100.

I need an older one if anyone has it.

Last edited by Haystack; 03-04-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Haystack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would check the cam bearings and rollers on pickup , then check to see if there was any slack in the packer arms. I run 4910's , I go thru them every spring before season starts , change anything that they might need ? I am lucky to have a baler tech less than a hour away that comes here to help , which is great , he has shown me many things that I didnt know about working on them. I know of some very high bale counts on some balers and that dont seem to matter long as they were maintained properly. Check all the cluthes for slack or loose parts,twine rollers and followers they should roll easy and not bind up. Needle rollers too, make sure needle arms are not bent or sprung . What I know about the 4x4 balers they seem to be very dependable , never ran a 3x4 . I bale several thousand bales each season and dont have too many problems. Make sure that you get 1 that has a lincon AUTO-LUBE on it that is a very important item besides a good BLOWER . They are a must to have on a big baler.
panhandle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.